Any Love for the Yeoung Heng Compressors?

Blocks of ice in the 5 gallon bucket is the way to go. I use 1-2 gallon plastic jugs to freeze the water- works like a charm. 

It works even better if you can insert the pipe carrying the hot water from the pump into one of the ice blocks. I use a drill to make a hole- it keeps the overall temp of the water much cooler. You can also hold the pipe up to the block and let the hot water make a hole.

The parts of the pump that aren't water-cooled do get extremely hot so let everything cool after running for 20-30 mins no matter what your temp gauge says.

For the price & convenience they're a viable option. Owner must do their part to "baby" them by not pushing them too hard (don't run tanks empty, just top them off), keep up on oil change and, as already mentioned, cooling is ESSENTIAL! Might want to double up on the burst discs (safety feature) & be aware it's HIGH PRESSURE AIR. Cant yet speak to longevity as I've not had mine long but no problems filling my 30, 45 & 60 minute SCBA tanks to 4200-4300 psi. I never try to fill to full 4500. Open purge valve for a second every 5 minutes or so while running. Oh, oil/moisture filtration ultra important!!!

I used one as my only compressor for almost two years and others have used them for as long if not longer. I don't believe that large blocks of ice in the water cool as well as smaller cubes or crushed ice. I only used about 2 gallons of water and kept it filled with crushed ice along with a ducted fan blowing across the heads. This method keeps temps around or below 50 degrees and can run for as long a session as needed that way. I did fill to 4500 regularly with no issues. Venting at 5 minute intervals seems to keep things dry. Stopping at a lower pressure would possibly extend life but you will then run more later to make up the difference so I'm certainly not sure that lower fill pressure helps. Good lube and good cooling seems to be the key to making these work but they can work very well.

I have two bought the second as a backup for the first as I fergot to turn on the coolant pump several times and overheated it until it smoked. I added a switched outlet to the system so it turns the pump on before the compressor will power up to keep me from doing that from now on. The second one, my back up unit, died in about two months bad QC from the factory. Cost me a $12 part and an hours time to repair it. The #1 unit that I was worried about just kept on filling my guns and tanks till I got #2 repaired and I retired it.

I do not fill past 4200psi as when I do I, all to often, I blow a burst disc.

Keep them cool, the oil topped off and don't fill past their spec which I think is 4350psi, I think a little less is better than the max, and the Yong Heng should last for years unless you get a bad one.

The "simple version" least expensive does not have a water separator you need one. 

The "auto stop" version shuts off near 3000psi. 

So you likely want the "Hardcover" or 'Set pressure' versions. 

The temperature sensor only measures head temperature so running it much over 20-30 minutes can overheat the motor and other parts even if ice is used in the coolant. Ice, or a container of it, in the coolant is a good idea especially if you do not use the full five gallons of water as suggested in the manual.

Keep your water supply level with the compressor.

Keep your moisture filters, guns and tanks being filled above the compressor.

Purge the system of moisture for a couple of seconds every five minutes.

Change out your small YH filter every twenty minutes and set the old one out to dry and use it later.

"The temperature sensor only measures head temperature so running it much over 20-30 minutes can overheat the motor and other parts even if ice is used in the coolant. Ice, or a container of it, in the coolant is a good idea especially if you do not use the full five gallons of water as suggested in the manual."

Good point, and one I had not considered, But, I have not experienced such. Certainly possible though and shorter run periods are probably a good idea.

Mine is awesome! It’s one of the newer ish ones so it has some of the newer reinforced parts, etc. I’ve been running it with a full 5 gal bucket and just using it to refill my bottle guns. Only heats up to about 55C with no ice. So far I haven’t had a single issue with mine, but I do have this odd issue where the water pumped out from mine is very oily and nasty so I have to change out the water often. I’ve had it for about 4 months now. All I’ve had to do so far is change water, and change out the oil once in a while. I think it’s a great deal, especially if you get the 4yr warranty from Walmart. 

Holding 55 with no ice is great. Doesn't seem to be the norm but glad that it does that well for you. When new, mine would never stay below (or even in) the 60's even with a 5 gallon bucket of water. I didn't trust such temperatures and that is why I made the change later to a smaller volume that I could keep filled with ice more easily, thinking that the colder water would cool the unit better. That change to roughly 2 gallons alone indeed did made a huge difference with mine and allowed it to hold 60's. The addition later of the external fan allowed the unit to consistently run in the mid to upper 40's during even large tank top offs. Different methods to achieve the same goal. There is nothing magical about 5 gallons. If not using ice then more water volume is certainly better. With ice, a smaller water volume can be kept colder with ice added as needed and this has worked extremely well for me, allowing relatively easier movement of the container and relatively low ice use.

I'm on my second one. The first one was a "knockoff" that was advertised as Yong Heng on ebay. I decided to keep it and it ran a couple of years. Just replaced it with a "genuine" YH from Walmart. So far so good. My thought process was this. For filling a tank, there is either a very expensive compressor starting at around $2000 and up, or there are YH's for about 1/5th the price or less. There is nothing priced in between (yes there are some portable units, but they won't fill a tank). I figured I could go through about 5 or 6 YH's before reach the price of a "high quality" unit. Like others have said, if you do your part and take care of it, the YH should last a good long while. Plus, you can re-build a YH for cheap if you have a little mechanical aptitude (not the knockoff's though, can't find parts). Hope this helps.

I'm on my second one. The first one was a "knockoff" that was advertised as Yong Heng on ebay. I decided to keep it and it ran a couple of years. Just replaced it with a "genuine" YH from Walmart. So far so good. My thought process was this. For filling a tank, there is either a very expensive compressor starting at around $2000 and up, or there are YH's for about 1/5th the price or less. There is nothing priced in between (yes there are some portable units, but they won't fill a tank). I figured I could go through about 5 or 6 YH's before reach the price of a "high quality" unit. Like others have said, if you do your part and take care of it, the YH should last a good long while. Plus, you can re-build a YH for cheap if you have a little mechanical aptitude (not the knockoff's though, can't find parts). Hope this helps.

Totally agree with the logic BUT there are compressors between the YH and $2000 that will fill a tank. The Air Venturi and Hatsan Lightning come immediately to mind, in the $1300 range. That said, I do agree with your general logic even considering the $1300 price range. I used a YH exclusively for almost 2 years.

Totally agree with the logic BUT there are compressors between the YH and $2000 that will fill a tank. The Air Venturi and Hatsan Lightning come immediately to mind, in the $1300 range. That said, I do agree with your general logic even considering the $1300 price range. I used a YH exclusively for almost 2 years.

You are correct but I seem to hear more complaints about reliability on those than YH's and they can't be rebuilt as far as I know. Just my general feeling.

"You are correct but I seem to hear more complaints about reliability on those than YH's and they can't be rebuilt as far as I know. Just my general feeling."

Not sure about that at all. And this is from a long term YH user. Seems pretty much all types of compressors have had some failures (maybe not the Alkin yet) with the YH certainly having had a high number. Many swear by their AV or Hatsan Lightning and both can be rebuilt, seemingly not much more difficult than the YH. Several threads about such on this site. Still, I think relative value of the YH is high given the low initial cost. Good luck with the one(s) you have.

I just bought 2 of them - 1 from Walmart & 1 from EBay.Definitely better off buying from Walmart- get a warranty, plus comes with everything. The EBay One was missing the fill line - breather- water lines - bleeders- and Temp gauge and spare o-Rings. 
I ordered the missing parts for the EBay one, so haven’t tried it yet. 
I bought 2 so have one on back up. 
I’ve used the One from Walmart Few times & so far so good, only ran it for few minutes at a time -it tops off guns fast. I did top off my tank to. So far I’m happy with it. 

I would buy whatever that has an optional 3 to 4 rear warranty and pay it.

I was very set on first a Ninja II, then an Omega Trail Charger ... but the 4-year warranty clinched it for me. My Walmart Hong Yeng is being delivered tomorrow. 4 year warranty was 45 bucks, so total order was like $436 IIRC. About half of the $830 I saw the Omega Trail Charger going for ... and it wasn't even in stock.

There are enough complaints about pretty much anything under a grand, and sometimes over, that cheap, welll-proven, and well-warrantied sounded fine to me. If I get four years out of it, at $110 a year, or store credit if it fails, I'm okay with that. Ya gotta eat, after all, and Walmart does sell groceries. I don't see too much going wrong here as long as I take it easy on the user error type stuff.