• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Any interest in a 1:14 twist .22 barrel?

IMO, the optimal velocity is subjective. What is the application, as in how much energy do you need and how much can your platform generate. In theory, I think 1050fps at 1.5 stability. If we can't go at least 2x the speed of sound, I don't see why even break the barrier. In practice, I have found that shooting the heaviest round you can at 950fps tends to work pretty well as long as the stability is 1.5. So, whatever twist is required to shoot a desired weight at 950ish. If you can get good, accurate performance at 1050fps, then that would be optimal. When we start flirting with that transonic region, we have to get REALLY geeked, considering form factor, BC and such. About then is when it becomes a compulsion. LOL

Reactions: SupremaRatio
IMO, the optimal velocity is subjective. What is the application, as in how much energy do you need and how much can your platform generate. In theory, I think 1050fps at 1.5 stability. If we can't go at least 2x the speed of sound, I don't see why even break the barrier. In practice, I have found that shooting the heaviest round you can at 950fps tends to work pretty well as long as the stability is 1.5. So, whatever twist is required to shoot a desired weight at 950ish. If you can get good, accurate performance at 1050fps, then that would be optimal. When we start flirting with that transonic region, we have to get REALLY geeked, considering form factor, BC and such. About then is when it becomes a compulsion. LOL
So, in your opinion what is the best twist rate for a .22 cal on a regulated rifle capable of producing 30-50fpe, while at the same time capable of stabilizing pellets and slugs? Assuming too that the barrel is not choked.

Sorry for the slow reply, I forgot to check the notification box... The 16" twist .30 barrel is a TJs barrel that is not on the list. I found out they had it, because I messaged them a while back wanting a .30 barrel with a faster twist. That's when they informed me that they had a 16" twist .300 barrel. Of course, I jumped on it! That barrel has been one of the best barrels I've ever done for my uses.
Hi I have one of those 1-16 .. 29" long
30 for a condor buid..what kind of slug weight are you using..what platform is your installed..? Thanks

Hi I have one of those 1-16 .. 29" long
30 for a condor buid..what kind of slug weight are you using..what platform is your installed..? Thanks
I have used NSA 61.5,65.5 grain, and Griffin 67,78, and 78 grain boattails mostly. It seems to do pretty well with almost every .300 slug I try. Granted, I wouldn't expect it do do as well with light weight slugs, given the faster twist. Mine is installed on a modified Maverick. I have it tuned to shoot the 78 grain boattails around 990 fps most of the time.

Reactions: mercado
I have used NSA 61.5,65.5 grain, and Griffin 67,78, and 78 grain boattails mostly. It seems to do pretty well with almost every .300 slug I try. Granted, I wouldn't expect it do do as well with light weight slugs, given the faster twist. Mine is installed on a modified Maverick. I have it tuned to shoot the 78 grain boattails around 990 fps most of the time.
Dam 78gr at almost a 1000fps..great power machine..😃

Reactions: Rallyshark