Any idea what are these tracks are from?

I saw the measurements, nothing for a frame of reference in the photo though. Kinda like throwing an MOA coin or a thumbnail next to a group, helps the brain process what I'm seeing and give it some perspective.

Photo of tracks and snow, even with measurements supplied, are just harder to process, for me anyway.
Oh. Okay. No problem.

It was so slippery in the snow, and I don't get around that well anymore, I couldn't really get any better photos. I didn't want to fall where nobody would find me until I was a big, ugly pop-cycle.

• Haha
Reactions: Dr. Kralenstein
I'm not sure I understand this, as I gave the following in the original post:

They're about 26" apart, and are approximately 4" wide by 3" long.

But maybe you just missed it.

I googled "rabbit tracks in snow", and it didn't show anything like this. But I'm going to go with that guess anyway because I think it is the most likely guess anyone has come up with. And there are a lot of rabbits down there.

I only shoot the rabbits in our inner parameter or in our gardens. But I let them live elsewhere on our property.

So, I think that's probably it.

Thanks, guys! It's appreciated.

What you are seeing as one single footprint is a group of four foot prints.

It’s a little bit like a mustelid (marten, fisher) but usually there is more direct registration of prints. Some of the print it looks like the the rear foot is elongated like a rabbit or squirrel, but when I looked closer, it almost looks like a little skidmarks into the prints.

I spent many days following Fisher and Marten tracks through the forests around here last winter… something I would do for fun just put on snow shoes and start following tracks. The Marten and the Fisher sometimes leave prints somewhat like that, but usually the rear feet drop in to the same hole as the front feet when it’s bounding.

I would want to follow those tracks further. In some cases, the fisher tracks and the Martin tracks would change gait and there would be brief strings of prints like this in the midst of more typical print patterns

The print that I circled with red really does look like a Marten or fisher - I believe I can see the claw marks at the tip.

IMG_4538.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4540.jpeg
    IMG_4540.jpeg
    404.9 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Reactions: dormitionskete
I'm not sure I understand this, as I gave the following in the original post:

They're about 26" apart, and are approximately 4" wide by 3" long.

But maybe you just missed it.

I googled "rabbit tracks in snow", and it didn't show anything like this. But I'm going to go with that guess anyway because I think it is the most likely guess anyone has come up with. And there are a lot of rabbits down there.

I only shoot the rabbits in our inner parameter or in our gardens. But I let them live elsewhere on our property.

So, I think that's probably it.

Thanks, guys! It's appreciated.
‘Bingo’ to Franklin‘s indentification as rabbit tracks.

You guys can keep debating it but it’s a squirrel.
I looked up Red Squirrel in wikipedia last night, and they say they're only in Europe. And I've not seen any pointy eared squirrels around here other than the black ones. But I'll take a pellet gun down there from time to time, now that I know something "shootable" is lurking down there, and if it's a squirrel, we'll see if I can put a pellet through its head, and feed it to our cat. I haven't given her much fresh meat lately.

Disclaimer: Wikipedia is not the greatest...

I looked up Red Squirrel in wikipedia last night, and they say they're only in Europe. And I've not seen any pointy eared squirrels around here other than the black ones. But I'll take a pellet gun down there from time to time, now that I know something "shootable" is lurking down there, and if it's a squirrel, we'll see if I can put a pellet through its head, and feed it to our cat. I haven't given her much fresh meat lately.

Disclaimer: Wikipedia is not the greatest...
I live in Pennsylvania and I can shoot one every time I look out my window. When I walk outside in the snow, the tracks in the picture in this topic are everywhere. So are rabbit tracks. But they are slightly different. Rabbits usually put their two front paws in front of each other. Like this : - -