Any hacks for a illuminated reticle?

I have a nice scope with both red and green illuminated reticle options.
However, I only shoot during the day and have never used these options.

Is there a hack so that I can turn on the colored reticles to view during daylight shooting?
The contrasting colored reticle would be helpful in some paper target shooting sessions.

As far as I know, the illuminated reticles are only visible in dark lighting conditions.

Rod in San Francisco

Is there a hack so that I can turn on the colored reticles to view during daylight shooting?
The contrasting colored reticle would be helpful in some paper target shooting sessions.

As far as I know, the illuminated reticles are only visible in dark lighting conditions.

Rod in San Francisco
Sightly confused. Until I re-read your post (my fault not yours).

I think your question is how do you "fix" your illuminated reticle so that it's highly visible in bright daylight?
I assume that at the highest brightness setting, it's still hard to see the illumination (but not the reticle).

Don't know if this will work for you. but have you tried a sun shade? Try putting a cardboard tube over your objective. Experiment with different length. You might find the right length to block enough peripheral? light to finally see your illuminated reticle...or not...but it's a cheap easy test. Down side is that you might need to sacrifice image quality?

Sightly confused. Until I re-read your post (my fault not yours).

I think your question is how do you "fix" your illuminated reticle so that it's highly visible in bright daylight?
I assume that at the highest brightness setting, it's still hard to see the illumination (but not the reticle).

Don't know if this will work for you. but have you tried a sun shade? Try putting a cardboard tube over your objective. Experiment with different length. You might find the right length to block enough peripheral? light to finally see your illuminated reticle...or not...but it's a cheap easy test. Down side is that you might need to sacrifice image quality?
Yes, you are correct.
Your suggestion to experiment with adding sun shade lengths has some merit and I will give it a try.
Thanks for chiming in.

Rod

Rod in San Francisco
this is not a illuminated reticle, but a red dot that multiple crosshair option, added a archery lens on top to make it magnified

5.jpg

4-m.jpg

Reactions: JP806TX
Thank you to all the member who chimed in so far.

My original thoughts with the lighted reticle during daylight, is that the contrast color would be more visible against with my different colored shoot and see targets I have. I only shoot at 200-300 yard paper targets.

The best suggestion was to block out some light at the front of the scope lens. I thought it was a great idea, so I 3d printed a special lens cover with a 3/4 inch hole in the center.

It block out enough light to trick the scope to turn on colored reticle. However, I determined that the colored reticle did nothing to improve the sight picture.

So, I'm giving up on the idea.
Rod in San Francisco
P1060321.jpg

Fit a OCULAR eye shade. Getting your sighting eye away from stray light that is brighter & into a shaded space will aid in being able to detect / see the illumination on the scopes retical. As well brighten up and make cross hairs appear crisper ;)

Such as this picture ...

View attachment 378589
Great intel. I will give this a try. Seems accurate info. Thanks

I tried a suggestion from a kind AGN member, Motorhead, to try using a rubber eye piece to improve the visuals of my colored and lighted reticule. Unfortunately, it did not work out as planned. The eye piece was a little difficult to view through and did not really improve my sight picture. I tried it with and without the front lens "peep hole" lens cover.

BTW, I had to 3d print an rear lens adapter to fit the rubber eye piece.

It was a good suggestion, anyway.

Rod in San Francisco

20230816_100542.jpg
20230816_100548.jpg
P1060321.jpg

Reactions: Ezana4CE