Any guns you regret buying"

Gamo swarm magnum.22. Most inaccurate, inconsistent pile of junk ever.
I always say, I you can't shoot a springer rifle properly, don't blame it on the rifle. My Gamo magnum often shoots very small groups a 25 meter. Though, the last few weeks I don't shoot often anymore. break barrel or PCP.

1714140795759.png

Reactions: Jscott16
Gauntlet Gen l in .177.

-Boat anchor weight
-Worse cocking handle than AEA
-Ungainly to hold
-Poor balance
-Pot-metal construction
-Poor scope mounting location
-Poor magazines
-Non-standard air bottle

I despise this gun so much, I refuse to even touch it long enough to sell, crush, fold, spindle or mutilate this burdensome shart!

Reactions: DeanB and Shaky2
Not so much a regret, but for me it is the Air Arms TX200. I'm not faulting the gun. Obviously, the gun's accuracy is not in question with a competition pedigree like the TX200 has... for my purposes though, and at the distances I'm shooting at, I just could not get any consistency with the gun. My gun's main purpose was a backyard pesting rifle shooting out to around 35 meters or less. I don't know if it's the cold barrel accuracy (or lack thereof) but my kill percentage with that gun when I owned it was only around 50%. I've tried every sorts of hold, tripod, no tripod, bean bag, no bean bag, holding as firm as I can, holding as light as I can, but I just could not be consistent with that rifle at all. Now, the TX200 was my first air rifle (although not my first venture with guns in general) and I probably could have been more accurate with that gun if I put in more time and work in learning it, but with how demanding the gun was to get consistent with it, I was just not willing to bend over backwards for it to have it shoot the way I need it to. It was just not great for how I'm shooting the rifle, i.e. shooting at small pests from out the window, sometimes at awkward angles, mostly at 25 to 30 meters. If most of my shots are within 15 meters or less, I probably would have a much better experience with that gun. Again, I'm not blaming the gun as hunters have done amazing things with the gun... For me though, the effort it required is just a bit too much. Maybe if it was an heirloom I would have been more patient with it.

Now, 3 years later since I sold my TX200, I'm thinking of buying another springer, HW95 to be specific, but my negative experience with the springer makes it hard for me to get another one again.

Edit: I just looked at my logs for when I owned the TX200. I had 34 kills with the gun in the 1 year I owned it. My confirmed kills percentage with the gun was actually 72%. Meaning I killed 72% of the animals I shot at. However, this doesn't take into account the multiple initial shots I took at some animals due to complete misses or wounding shots which are then followed by kill the shots.

Take the misses and the wounding shots into account and my kills-to-shots ratio is only about 1:2. This means that only 50% of all the shots I took at animals with the TX200 are confirmed kills.

The other side of that 72% kills are either a complete miss and the animal escaped or unconfirmed/unrecovered/wounding shots.

20210203_203910.jpg

Last edited:
Are there any guns that you regret buying because they didn't live up to your expectations, were prone to failure, bad support, undependable, not accurate, whatever... I know there are a couple I'd not buy again if I had it to do over.
Just curious if others feel the same way and why.
Carbeans for me since they are such a long gun, I do more window shooting

Are there any guns that you regret buying because they didn't live up to your expectations, were prone to failure, bad support, undependable, not accurate, whatever... I know there are a couple I'd not buy again if I had it to do over.
Just curious if others feel the same way and why.
Yup I really regret wasting 450$ on a Benjamin marauder.....

None that haven't been sold, or given away. The 2 gamo guns I have owned were the fastest to leave(big cat and silent cat, both in .177).....that being said there are some guns I regret selling.

None that haven't been sold, or given away. The 2 gamo guns I have owned were the fastest to leave(big cat and silent cat, both in .177).....that being said there are some guns I regret selling.
May I ask why the Silent Cat. I was looking at that one because it seems pretty quiet, just need something for max about 25 yards but quiet.

For me I would say the Umarex Emerge. I did everything I could to get that to shoot accurately and it just wasn't happening. It turns out the magazine slot had a defect to where it would chew up the pellets as they cycle, and that was the main cause for the problems. At first I thought maybe it was just the magazine itself, but it was actually the slot that holds it.

I ended up exchanging it for another one, and it had the exact same issue. I've seen plenty of folks have no issues with theirs, so I just attributed it to bad luck with that one.

To me it's just a poor design on how the magazine feature works. Even without the defect I had with mine, you still have to be careful with it when you cock the barrel, as it can chew up the loading port if that magazine becomes out of place even in the slightest. That was one of the first things I noticed before I even noticed the defect issue I had.

However, plenty of folks have no issue with it, but I know I did. I can only go by my own experiences with it, and they weren't great.

I actually love Umarex, and for the most part have no problems with their products, but this one gave me fits. Hey, it happens!

May I ask why the Silent Cat. I was looking at that one because it seems pretty quiet, just need something for max about 25 yards but quiet.
I did not have good luck finding a pellet it like for decent groups at 20 yards. Cleaning barrel, I use a weed whacker line style whip, and it always gets hung up inside the baffles at the muzzle making cleaning a chore. Lots of twang, and severely bowed spring unless you tear it down. I expect it is better in 22 but that is not what I had

I did not have good luck finding a pellet it like for decent groups at 20 yards. Cleaning barrel, I use a weed whacker line style whip, and it always gets hung up inside the baffles at the muzzle making cleaning a chore. Lots of twang, and severely bowed spring unless you tear it down. I expect it is better in 22 but that is not what I had
Use a drink straw in the muzzle so the line gets through.

Reactions: Hold_Over