Any guns you regret buying"

Just one gun, an FX Wildcat III bottle. Lost $1000 on it in just over a year and was happy to see it go when I sold it. Too finicky for me, always something to deal with. I don't understand why people spend $2k plus for an airgun. My god there are so many good choices for less money. And anyone into airgunning knows more guns and variety is better than one expensive gun. Unless you have sick money to spend on $2000 plus guns then sure spend it, I get it.

I wasted a lot of money on the FX impact. I owned 3 of them at different times, 2 were mk2’s and 1 was an M3. I didn’t like any of them, but still somehow convinced myself to try again each time I bought or traded for one. Each time I was wrong, and quickly sold or traded it for something else. I guess watching too many YouTube videos causes you to rethink your mindset at the time, but in the end, it just doesn’t fit me.
I didn’t learn my lesson the first time. It took 3. Shame on me. Won’t make the mistake a 4th time. Lol
You nailed it, I did the same thing but only once and lost $1k in about 15 months. Watched too many South African monkey shooting videos 😂

Seneca Aspen. The concept is fantastic. The build quality is crap. The stock feels like a cheap plastic toy and the shroud is poorly mounted and ineffective.

Gamo Swarm Magnum Gen3i. My experience with the mag system was very bad. Velocities were only consistent so long as I used certain parts of the magazine, for example shots 10-8. I tried 3 different magazines and some were better than others, but none were very good. Once I removed the magazine and autoloader and started loading manually the power and consistency both improved.

So far, so good. I haven't spent a great deal of time with my sub $300 low-end springers (two), but they have held up very well.
Whoa!! --$2k for an airgun? Why? - unless you are going to the Olympics!
I know lots of people who don't hesitate to spend $1k+ for powder burners and then never fire more than 100 shots from them. That seems a lot more ridiculous than paying $2k for an airgun that actually gets used.

Hatsan Jet II in .177 - has never shot well. For really short range plinking, it's fun. Moving back a little to 25 yards, I'm seeing grouping in the 2" range so I contacted Hatsan and the said "what do you expect, it's only got a (short) barrel?" This left me a bit nonplussed but I'm open to playing with this one to make it better. Perhaps polish and recrown of the barrel will be a good start. I've tried a bunch of pellets and also with / without a moderator - all equally bad. We will see if I can improve this budget gun with some TLC.

Another not so scientific test - from my back deck I have a clear 50 yard shot into a small pond where there is a rock (no turtles, I check each time) in the middle. Shots with the .177 from this range can be dead on or off by 2 feet. Shots from my other guns are typically within an inch or two of my intended aim point. The Hubens typically hit exactly where I'm pointing.

p.s. Regarding the chicken-*&$t comment about short barrels - my old Beeman P1, also .177, is a laser out to 40 yards or so, and my Jet II in .22 is "moment of soda can" accurate at 50 yards - so it's not the barrel length.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: MysticalDragon
. Moving back a little to 25 yards, I'm seeing grouping in the 2" range so I contacted Hatsan and the said "what do you expect, it's only got a (short) barrel?"

p.s. Regarding the chicken-*&$t comment about short barrels - my old Beeman P1, also .177, is a laser out to 40 yards or so, and my Jet II in .22 is "moment of soda can" accurate at 50 yards - so it's not the barrel length.
This is exactly the things that I heard about hatsan that I will cause me to NEVER get one, along with their lack of reliability.

Are there any guns that you regret buying because they didn't live up to your expectations, were prone to failure, bad support, undependable, not accurate, whatever... I know there are a couple I'd not buy again if I had it to do over.
Just curious if others feel the same way and why.
I would say from personal experience in the last 1.5 yrs. The Gamo Magnum 22 Cal Gen 3i. The rifle is great. Very light weight and accurate under 50 yds. It is averaging around 28 lbs FPE based on my FX Crony. I have fired just about 10 different brands and GR weight to determine what was best going forward. In the beginning I thought JSB would be the one. It wasn't! Of all of the pellets, it turns out that the cheap Crosman 14.6 GR Hollow point was the most accurate! Other pellets would be too tight while breaking barrel and would cause the loading mech to flex and contort (plastic) and come off the internal rails rendering it non-operational. I once complained to GAMO and they sent me a new one. Turns out it was never broken. It just needed some flexing and twisting to get it to jump back on the rails. Another time I somehow managed to damage the "plastic baffles inside the built in moderator. I shot some barrel cleaning pellets and I did not know they got hung up inside(what a mistake) and when I went to shoot again it blew apart the internal baffle with the pellet causing massive inaccuracy in shooting. Gamo replaced it for free. They had to take it off a returned gun because it isn't a normally stocked item for the public to buy as a part. Speaking of barrel, the lbs of breaking force is very high! It is a magnum. I guess it has to be that way to get the necessary power. It's like working out at the gym. After awhile if you shoot enough your arm gets sore. It is still a nice starter rifle, but this year I made the jump to PCP. Not looking back now! No more break barrels! I now have the Avenge X 25 Cal Tact version and extremely happy with it. What a huge difference! My Gamo Magnum is in a case collecting dust. I often wondered why is it if GAMO is worlds most sold air rifles why is it they can't effectively compete in the PCP world? Their PCPs are jokes at best. If I were the biggest company in the industry, with the resources(top engineers) I would create a separate and whole new line of PCP's to go head to head with FX, AA, Daystate, and Brocock etc. and not remain the Walmart of air rifles. Maybe a new and separate division?

Reactions: MysticalDragon
I would say from personal experience in the last 1.5 yrs. The Gamo Magnum 22 Cal Gen 3i. The rifle is great. Very light weight and accurate under 50 yds. It is averaging around 28 lbs FPE based on my FX Crony. I have fired just about 10 different brands and GR weight to determine what was best going forward. In the beginning I thought JSB would be the one. It wasn't! Of all of the pellets, it turns out that the cheap Crosman 14.6 GR Hollow point was the most accurate! Other pellets would be too tight while breaking barrel and would cause the loading mech to flex and contort (plastic) and come off the internal rails rendering it non-operational. I once complained to GAMO and they sent me a new one. Turns out it was never broken. It just needed some flexing and twisting to get it to jump back on the rails. Another time I somehow managed to damage the "plastic baffles inside the built in moderator. I shot some barrel cleaning pellets and I did not know they got hung up inside(what a mistake) and when I went to shoot again it blew apart the internal baffle with the pellet causing massive inaccuracy in shooting. Gamo replaced it for free. They had to take it off a returned gun because it isn't a normally stocked item for the public to buy as a part. Speaking of barrel, the lbs of breaking force is very high! It is a magnum. I guess it has to be that way to get the necessary power. It's like working out at the gym. After awhile if you shoot enough your arm gets sore. It is still a nice starter rifle, but this year I made the jump to PCP. Not looking back now! No more break barrels! I now have the Avenge X 25 Cal Tact version and extremely happy with it. What a huge difference! My Gamo Magnum is in a case collecting dust. I often wondered why is it if GAMO is worlds most sold air rifles why is it they can't effectively compete in the PCP world? Their PCPs are jokes at best. If I were the biggest company in the industry, with the resources(top engineers) I would create a separate and whole new line of PCP's to go head to head with FX, AA, Daystate, and Brocock etc. and not remain the Walmart of air rifles. Maybe a new and separate division?
They have never been quality. When I got mine as a shtf rifle I could tell that was the case. Their fit and form will never be that of those you mentioned. Its not in their mentality or lineage.

Cometa Lynx -10 .22 caliber in a beautiful blue stock. Spent way to much on it, not accurate out past 25 yards. People raved about it and I found it to be a lemon, in a nice blue jacket. Now a safe queen
Is there anything specific about it that I should be weary about? I almost pulled the trigger on the B&W .457 semi-auto. Do you know of any known issues, or things I should know? Someone said they are very ammo picky??

Hatsan MOD 65, Dislike it very much. I guess I was expecting it to behave like my R9 and HW50S. I don't know if the harsh recoil has something to do with it or if it's just me. Another this is the scope, it's like looking thru a pair of really cheap binoculars (I've got a Hawke on it now). While the wood finish looks good out of the box, it scratches WAY to easy. I laid it on the arms of an old aluminum chair with the plastic armrests and that scratched it.