Any guns you regret buying"

Nova Vista Freedoms, 2 in .177 and one in .22. The .177s were tack drivers as far as accuracy, but the pumps and poppets failed and I have never followed up on plans to make bottle guns out of them. The .22 never worked properly although I sent it back and re-bought it for $100 thinking I could fix it... yeah, right...

Because the Avenger, et al. are based on this gun, I decided not to temp fate again. Not to mention I didn't like some of the design changes.

The DAR Gen2 in .177. While it worked, it was a good medium distance (40-70 yards) pellet gun, but developed leaks which I thought had been fixed before I decided to purchase one. Still haven't taken it apart to see if I can repair it. I am not very adept at PCP repairs even though I love how they work... when they work.

As much as my Benjamin Fortitude Gen2 .177 isn't a really great gun... It is the ONLY one I have that is still working and I have been able to get sub-MOA accuracy out of it out to 50 yards and made 3 DRT kills at 75-80 yards on tree rats after practicing for 3 weeks for those shots.

Oh well...

BSA Spitfire break barrel PCP. Outstanding excellent airgun in all way's, EXCEPT AoA had NO WAY to service the rifle, didn't even have the need tools much less parts.
Had there been any support for it it would have been my #1 keeper of all time.

John
I had one of those... Beautiful little gun... until it broke and I was in the same boat as you. An Airgun place in Florida finally said he could fix it and I sent it in... that was at least 7 years ago. Still no gun. Edited before speculation starts... said airgun place is no longer in business that I'm aware of.. but my attempts to contact the owner have gone unanswered.

Regret my first PCP, an Umarex Gauntlet .25 (First Generation), I wanted an all-day hunter, this gun is way too long and heavy. Never even considered length and weight, figured they'd all be like my Crosman 760 or F4 Nitro. Of course, feeling like grinding rocks while working the bolt action didn't help either. WM

Regret my first PCP, an Umarex Gauntlet .25 (First Generation), I wanted an all-day hunter, this gun is way too long and heavy. Never even considered length and weight, figured they'd all be like my Crosman 760 or F4 Nitro. Of course, feeling like grinding rocks while working the bolt action didn't help either. WM
Weight and length is something many people buying their first PCP, let alone airgun don't take into consideration.

Since I shoot with an improvised rest of some sort 99% of the time, that doesn't come in to play so much for me. However, it is something the field user MUST consider.

Having said that, what you said about the Gauntlet, among other things, kept me from purchasing one. Not that my purchases around that time were much, if any better! (smile/sigh)

Right now, all I want is a ~12fpe airgun that affords consistent accuracy/precision and does it without a lot of fuss and muss. Not to mention, it needs to do it at a reasonable price and not need a lot of tinkering to get sub-MOA accuracy out to at least ~50 yards and it HAS to do that consistently without having to be worked on for at least 5 years.

Yeah... I know... LOL!

p.s.

The price has to be $300 or less. Hey, this is not rocket science!

The first company to actually do this will make a fortune and also increase sales on their higher end guns.

No... no company has done this yet.

p.s.p.s

Considering how much cleaning a barrel adds to the accuracy of any airgun, how much could that add to the cost of an airgun if done before leaving the factory?

Just think about it. (smile)

Last edited:
Never shot pellet guns,went to the pawn shop to get some strings for my banjo . there was a grat looking Benjiman Rushmore. Pretty gun and it fit like a favorite shirt. I had to have it.
I have shot it hunders of times,tried several scopes, tried 20 or so different pellets and had it rebuilt. To date I have not gotten a group out of it. I don't even know if it could be called a pattern. But it is pretty so pretty.
I have other rifles that shoot very well including two Hatsans now . I now know that I am not a springer kinda fella and I just as soon not shoot at all to have to pump 8 to 10 times between shots.
So I have learned a lot after buying thar rifle so I am thank ful for that.

FWB124

I bought 3 before I wised up. They all have been piss poor performers.

Depending on their vintage, they suffer from varied tube sizes so power output is always a dice roll.
The breech shim arrangement is springy, along with a weak breech lockup makes them very prone to POI shifts. Not to mention the ever loosening pivot bolt.
Shot cycle is always harsh for the power level.....trigger is very average.
And then if you are real lucky, the wedge for the detent will work loose from the receiver tube and lockup is forever garbage.

Just a very flimsily built gun, that's very overpriced and way overhyped.

My only regret is ever buying anything without a regulator.
I'm splitting hairs here but.. I'm nitpicky about this now that I been playing with these things for awhile now

Regulated PCP guns with some hammer adjustability makes it so you can really dial in stuff. Without regs, your chasing a bell curve and just throwing ammo at it till you hopefully find something it likes.

I even have a Gamo .17 break barrel that will split playing cards at 15y. It's a lot of fun and pretty darn consistent.

My only regret is ever buying anything without a regulator.
I'm splitting hairs here but.. I'm nitpicky about this now that I been playing with these things for awhile now

Regulated PCP guns with some hammer adjustability makes it so you can really dial in stuff. Without regs, your chasing a bell curve and just throwing ammo at it till you hopefully find something it likes.

I even have a Gamo .17 break barrel that will split playing cards at 15y. It's a lot of fun and pretty darn consistent.
Apparently you have not YET experienced a failing regulator. I'd rather have an unregulated airgun with a sweet spot of 10-30 shots than a regulated airgun that depends on a regulator. Just my own personal experience. And make note, the ONLY working airgun I have now does have a regulator. But I can't adjust it and as it fails, so will my accuracy/precision. So an unregulated airgun makes more sense to me for my needs.

Regulators fail. If you haven't experienced it yet, you will. If your are looking for the ultimate accuracy/precision, then regulators only lull you into thinking you have that for a lot of shots. In fact, an unregulated airgun can be MUCH more consistent over a smaller range of shots which makes accuracy/precision much easier to achieve within that range.

Regulators regularly fail. Fact.

Reactions: Sergey1972
Apparently you have not YET experienced a failing regulator. I'd rather have an unregulated airgun with a sweet spot of 10-30 shots than a regulated airgun that depends on a regulator. Just my own personal experience. And make note, the ONLY working airgun I have now does have a regulator. But I can't adjust it and as it fails, so will my accuracy/precision. So an unregulated airgun makes more sense to me for my needs.

Regulators fail. If you haven't experienced it yet, you will. If your are looking for the ultimate accuracy/precision, then regulators only lull you into thinking you have that for a lot of shots. In fact, an unregulated airgun can be MUCH more consistent over a smaller range of shots which makes accuracy/precision much easier to achieve within that range.

Regulators regularly fail. Fact.
Well if failing parts will keep you from having the utmost repeatability... You'd never enjoy the finer things in life.

My drag car is multi port fuel injected... With 3 fuel pumps staged that come in as the engine demands it. Also have driveline speed sensors to monitor driveline speed and catch slippage. Has a huge turbo on it with multiple valves controlled by the pcm that control the amount of CO2 pressure put on the wastegate to control boost.

In order to have this kind of control... The kind of repeatability... You need these things. And these things DO FAIL. been through multiple $200 O2 sensors in two years. Had failed pneumatic valves. Input shaft in the trans snapped last time I was out. Had injectors fail. Fuel regulator diaphragms fail. Map sensors fail... Etc etc etc.

It's part of the game buddy. And I'd rather have that extra refinement and the headaches they bring than play with a carburator and nitrous (or a unregulated PCP).

My daily job is literally diagnosing technical issues on HVAC systems and fixing them. I enjoy it. Just like I enjoy my FX impact m3 👍

Reactions: Dr. Kralenstein
I'm not big on PCPs but I had 2 regulated guns at one point, an FX Dreamline and a Maruader, for a little over 3 years. When I sold that Dramline it had over 20k pellets through it and still had all of its original components including seals. I still have the Marauder and everything is also original. How often are regulators supposed to fail? Did I just get lucky?

Reactions: Airgun Al
Yep, thats another one I forgot about. Bought a 25 cal that was a customer return deal. Was going to make it a carbine and wood stock. Ended up practically giving it away in the end. Those things make a musket look like a sub compact.

Reactions: WorriedMan