• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Any guns you regret buying"

Genuinely an HW100. Probably one of the highest rated mid-range PCPs. Had a particularly nice stock, fantastic mag system, best single shot loader that exists. Nice trigger. Very accurate after a bit of fettling. Just bored the arse off me.
Can’t explain it - but that rifle had no soul at all. You could never just gaze at it and feel “Ye gods, I love that!” More like a fork taken from the cutlery drawer.

I did also own an Air Arms Galahad. But I did love that until finally realising that its flaws in design outweighed its love factor (it was cutting edge in its day).

Just never got the feels for the Herman ze German. Never once.

I wouldn't say I "regret" it but my Hatsan Mod 135 (.22) vortex hasn't really cracked up to what I expected it to be.

I own and love my model 95, so I assumed the 135 would basically be the same rifle with a slightly more potent powerplant.

To some degree it is, but that extra power really changes the nature of this rifle.

It basically kicks like a violently deranged mule, and has way more power than a break barrel has any right to produce. It makes for a fairly difficult rifle to control enough to get decent groupings. The mod 95 seems very polite and mild mannered in comparison.

It also has one of the softest wood stocks that I've encountered. Very easy to dent, and the finish scratches if you look at it the wrong way. So now after about 6 months of ownership the stock looks more worn than my mod 95 that I've had for 7 years.

I also don't understand Hatsan's decision to go with a weaver rail over a far more useful picatinny rail. Finding rings or mounts that work with it's non standard spacing is a bit challenging. It does have a dovetail as well, but with the kick of this gun, I much prefer something with recoil stops.

That being said it's a beautiful gun, smacks extremely hard, and can be accurate once you master it. So I don't regret it, it just wasn't quite what I expected.

I definitely have two. The first airgun I ever bought. Gamo swarm magnum.22. Most inaccurate, inconsistent pile of junk ever. And also my Hatsan.30 cal break barrel. I think I could get a higher fps with a slingshot. And it’s a HUGE gun, would never wanna carry that through the woods for long.
Gamo just needs some adjusting, tuning and breaking the barrel.

I won't say Regret Buying, but Good Learning Experiences -> All that glitters isn't Gold;).

1.) Hatsan 135 - .25 caliber. Tuned the gun/trigger and refinished stock. Beautiful looking gun -> very uncomfortable to shoot/accuracy suspect.
Over-the-Top-Power -> Very Over Rated if you can't consistently hit target. Could have hung it on a wall and looked at it forever though:).

2.) AA Pro-Sport - .177 caliber. Tuned the gun/trigger and refinished stock. Beautiful looking gun - Metal Work was Over Finished.
Not worth the $$$ .... However, was an excellent shooter ..... but I didn't care for its poor balance ..... Weihrauch is a better value.

Last edited:
Hatsan Mod 95 Vortex QE .177, was not what I expected and the Quattro trigger is terrible. The gas piston is violent enough that it broke and cut into my scope and mount, eventually it sheared the scope stop screws off on the air tube/receiver. It is now a iron sight only gun, shooting H&N Baracuda 10.65 @ 820 fps.
Yeah Jay,
I thought the Hatsan 95 (spring powered) was a decent gun for the $$ ..... with possible great Turkish Walnut stock.
The Quattro trigger needs a longer adj. screw and lighter springs to be decent.

Unfortunately, the Hatsan Gas Piston is made very cheaply compared to Theoben and leaks after 6mo to a year.
It's a given that all Hatsan's needed to be de-tuned a bit(y) .

Interesting thread, so many disappointed shooters, I must be blessed, I transitioned to air rifles about five years ago or so, rimfire and centerfire ammo got too scarce and too expensive, then the covid shutdowns closed all the club ranges, I still shoot a little Trap, but mostly shoot my Break Barrel, Co2, and Pneumatic pumpers.
Since then I've purchased a dozen or so air rifles, a few Weirauch's, a Hatsan 95 Springer, guns from Crosman, Ruger, and a GAMO Gen 1 Bone collector, all sport hardwood stocks and fine blued barrels, my few budget priced rifles needed trigger work and had to have their cheap bundle scopes replaced, but each of them have been great shooters, 100% reliable, and as accurate as I need them to be, that said, I don't shoot competitively, mostly I shoot for fun in my backyard 40 yd. range, I shoot paper and novelty targets like spinners, spoons, wooden match sticks, and playing cards set on edge, and occasionally do a little stump shooting when woods bumming, I practice on small game targets occasionally just in case the need ever comes to pass .
I often read on various air gun forums about people who are disappointed with their air guns or bad mouth this brand or that one when someone poses a performance question about a gun they may be interested in, while anyone can get a lemon, even in the expensive brands (if it's mechanical it can breakdown or suffer manufacturing issues), but allot of the time I think some people just expect too much, or they don't do proper maintenance on their guns, many don't test pellets to find what their gun likes, and some are just plain gear snobs who enjoy talking trash about lower priced air guns than they own.

But as for me, so far (knock on wood) I haven't gotten a bad one.

Reactions: namo81
Yeah Jay,
I thought the Hatsan 95 (spring powered) was a decent gun for the $$ ..... with possible great Turkish Walnut stock.
The Quattro trigger needs a longer adj. screw and lighter springs to be decent.

Unfortunately, the Hatsan Gas Piston is made very cheaply compared to Theoben and leaks after 6mo to a year.
It's a given that all Hatsan's needed to be de-tuned a bit(y) .
I went to use my m 7 year old mod 95 vortex .22 earlier this year after it had sat for a few months and found it lost compression in the gas piston due to a leak.

Reached out to HatsanUSA and they sold me a replacement for $50. It was a different design than the original gas piston, it appears to no longer have a degassing screw. I read the new design is more reliable as far as leaks go, but was a little disappointed that the pressure can no longer be tinkered with if I wanted to.

Install was a bit of a pain but not too bad. It was my first time ever really working on an air rifle and I made a few mistakes. The biggest mistake was removing some pins from the quattro trigger that didn't really need to come out and the whole thing fell apart.

That ended up being a valuable mistake though, since I had to figure out how to reassemble the entire trigger mechanism, I am now very familiar with how they work. It also gave me a reason to clean and re-lube all of the parts with a higher quality moly grease.

Thankfully the rifle has been working fine since the repair.

I went to use my m 7 year old mod 95 vortex .22 earlier this year after it had sat for a few months and found it lost compression in the gas piston due to a leak.

Reached out to HatsanUSA and they sold me a replacement for $50. It was a different design than the original gas piston, it appears to no longer have a degassing screw. I read the new design is more reliable as far as leaks go, but was a little disappointed that the pressure can no longer be tinkered with if I wanted to.

Install was a bit of a pain but not too bad. It was my first time ever really working on an air rifle and I made a few mistakes. The biggest mistake was removing some pins from the quattro trigger that didn't really need to come out and the whole thing fell apart.

That ended up being a valuable mistake though, since I had to figure out how to reassemble the entire trigger mechanism, I am now very familiar with how they work. It also gave me a reason to clean and re-lube all of the parts with a higher quality moly grease.

Thankfully the rifle has been working fine since the repair.
I want to convert mine to a spring, when the piston leaks down. I try to shoot it every few months and store it barrel down, supposed to help.

I want to convert mine to a spring, when the piston leaks down. I try to shoot it every few months and store it barrel down, supposed to help.
That would be a cool project, id like to see how it works out for you.

There is a gentleman on YouTube with some excellent videos on tearing these rifles down to repair and tune them. He says he often replaces the Hatsan gas rams with a benjamin/Crosman version. If I remember correctly he said they drop right in and are more reliable and make drops the power a bit making the rifle more manageable.

Not something I'd do personally, but I definitely found it interesting, and his videos were a great reference for my repair job.