• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Any good results with 25 .cal slugs vs mk2 34 grains pellets?

The day I see someone stacking slugs on top of each other in rag holes at ANY relevant distance, every time they attempt it, be it 15 or 30 yards, I will be amazed...until then slugs really only benefit from reduced energy loss and wind drift down range, neither of which I care for being that I shoot at reasonably shorter distances 90% of the time. I shoot airguns / diablo pellets for the immense benefit of energy drop off over my shooting range, or in another words, for safety/mindfulness. For those guys trying to stroke their ego by taking an airgun beyond ranges that they are ideal for, slugs become popular among that crowd...and you will 100% see them bloating about their 100+ yard hunts but you'll be damned to see a rag hole group out performing a diablo pellet within optimal air gun ranges...

Humans have landed probes/rovers on celestial objects far far away, which is like hitting your target with an airgun at a 90 degree angle every time... nothing is impressive about these guys hitting a pigeon with a slug at 150 yards...

When I cranked up my Impact couple of times to test out slugs I got pretty descent results, me as the shooter was more of a limitation than anything else. Slugs absolutely will not replace pellets for exact reasons ackuric mentioned but there are use cases where you can safely shoot at that distance and when you have to because approaching certain quarries is difficult. I plan on using slugs when I go hunting rabbits on open fields where approach will be difficult and very little chance of stray bullet hitting anyone. Plus slugs carry a lot more energy pass 50 yards.

I prefer slugs for hunting for two reasons. 1. In expanding projectiles, they are the most accurate past 25 yards. 2. They are much less effected by wind. Those two things make slugs the clear choice for game. P.S. Most of my shots are inside 50 yards.

I’ve had good luck with NSA’s. Awaiting U.S. stock of the new H&N and FX knockout slugs to test but I’ve seen people have good results with both.

In a well tuned gun with a slug barrel slugs will match pellets at any distance and beat them after 75 to 100 yards. Link to when I first put the slug barrel on my Impact. I plink spray paint cans at 200 yards and often hit several in a row, 12ga shotgun casings at 100 yards five in a row regular. Mostly shooting the NSA 36.2 gr at 950-980fps but the 33.5s shoot just as well. There are more than a few people doing this.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/installed-my-new-700mm-slug-liner-on-my-impact-and-started-tuning/

edit, In answer to the original question, NO.

A few thoughts, from someone more inclined towards hunting rather than target shooting

In the past I have watched videos where testers pop their new slugs into their guns and show us the group, at that tune, at short distance (50Y or less) and in good conditions (low wind). Give the slugs a chance

What I have, and would suggest is that when testing, a comparison is carried out, pick a windy day, shoot at longer distance, have the gun tuned to shoot the slug, then pop a few pellets in and see how they fare.

.25 Slugs are still (in air gun use) in their infancy, many more brands shall come, some may shoot as well as pellets, "may" .

what I want is pellets for shorter distance,better condition lower power (higher shot count) shooting and slugs for longer range, windy days shooting

and a gun I can tune up/down in the field.

ALL WE ARE SAYING, IS GIVE SLUGS A CHANCE.🎶,

thanks for this subject/post.

I’m taking on project of .25 gauntlet slug gun. Why? For the Challenge. 

I have FX Hybrid .25 slugs and the Superior Liner if I put that in an gauntlet. For a cost of 120 dollars and a few hours. If I can do what the impact owner above did accuracy wise I’m set. I also picked up a new .22 gauntlet and could put that on the .25 lower. I’d need another Superior liner in .22

now the Superior heavy liners aren’t out yet. I’m shooting lightweight slugs. The new liner has higher twist for the heavier slugs. 

slugs have a big future in airguns. It’s new it’s neat it expands your options. 

guys are making slugs that frag in the hard air article slugs were dumping most of their energy. 

the best of both worlds is possible 

I’m taking on project of .25 gauntlet slug gun. Why? For the Challenge. 

I have FX Hybrid .25 slugs and the Superior Liner if I put that in an gauntlet. For a cost of 120 dollars and a few hours. If I can do what the impact owner above did accuracy wise I’m set. I also picked up a new .22 gauntlet and could put that on the .25 lower. I’d need another Superior liner in .22

now the Superior heavy liners aren’t out yet. I’m shooting lightweight slugs. The new liner has higher twist for the heavier slugs. 

slugs have a big future in airguns. It’s new it’s neat it expands your options. 

guys are making slugs that frag in the hard air article slugs were dumping most of their energy. 

the best of both worlds is possible

When you get the FX liner adapter figured out for the gauntlet. Let me know. I'm looking to do the same on my .25 cal

Finnish,

I have authored a similar post or two requesting some input on the use of .25 caliber slugs vs. MK2 34g pellets for a recently purchased Daystate RW Safari in .25 caliber. I frequently shoot ( 100 yard bench rest ) paper targets at my local outdoor range, and I too am not finding information from .25 caliber RW owners on success ( or not ) using .25 caliber slugs at 100 yards for target shooting purposes. In the case of the Safari .25, I recently bought a bunch of slugs from NSA and FX to try and test out how they do. 

As most of us are always chasing better accuracy, I am curious to see how slugs vs. pellets will do in this new gun. 

Once I do the testing, I will post my results.

Tom

Finnish,

I have authored a similar post or two requesting some input on the use of .25 caliber slugs vs. MK2 34g pellets for a recently purchased Daystate RW Safari in .25 caliber. I frequently shoot ( 100 yard bench rest ) paper targets at my local outdoor range, and I too am not finding information from .25 caliber RW owners on success ( or not ) using .25 caliber slugs at 100 yards for target shooting purposes. In the case of the Safari .25, I recently bought a bunch of slugs from NSA and FX to try and test out how they do. 

As most of us are always chasing better accuracy, I am curious to see how slugs vs. pellets will do in this new gun. 

Once I do the testing, I will post my results.

Tom

Finnish

I have another post (see EBR target under Bench Rest category) where I posted some 100 yard results with NSA 33 grain slugs. What air gun are you using?