• *Effective 3/27/2024 - The discussion of the creation, fabrication, or modification of airgun moderators is prohibited. The discussion of any "adapters" used to convert an airgun moderator to a firearm silencer will result in immediate termination of the account.*

Any experience with Impulse Air Moderators?

I tried a 1200 on my .177cal RAW, which is notoriously loud. It's slightly more quiet than a Tanto, and about the same as my home brew moderator. I just feel like these are overpriced quite a bit. To me, they also feel like the aluminum is fairly thin and not subject to any sort of abuse (but maybe this is a requirement to distinguish it from a powderburner moderator???) These are nice that they are expandable though.

Yes, I'm aware of the math, as a 'test' there is a street on the other side of my fence and bushes, along the long side of my range, people walk there, I've been shooting and nary a comment, don't really want to push it too much though. I really don't like companies that blow smoke and don't give any real numbers like, we are using this gun, it's xxx db unmoderated, with our moderator it's XXX db. YMMV with your gun. I'm thinking of trying a Silent Thunder Sarissa. To your first point, yes, I'm going to have a friend do it or one of my grandkids, pretty sure they don't want me too gone.
I did a quick test today of 4 mods. 55º, FX Maverick, .22 500mm barrel. #2 Reg 128.4bar Air Arms Diablo Field Heavy 18gr pellets 940fps A 'sound meter' calibration unknown but matches my iPhone. appox. 18" away, perpendicular to the muzzle. I only fired one shot for each and checked the POI as best as I could, all 4 had basically minimal effect on POI so that's out of the way, My gun doesn't like the AA pellets, my Sapsan LOVED them and I've got a ton of them....IF I ever get it beck from good old Joe B. from having a faulty reg. The Mods are skinny because i've got a larger bottle that I have to clear.

No Mod 116.9

Buck Rail 120.3

The Sabroia off of my Sapsan 116.4

Donny FL Koi 108.1

Impulse with 6 segments 115.5

Now, in fairness there is a hard table under the muzzle. Impressions, the Koi was the 'quietest' it removed the sharpness, the Impulse was next, I've been using this one with people on the other side of the fence, no comments. My Sapsans' Mod was ok, the Buck Rail was a WTH, gut feeling is, with a lower air volume it might work but it shocked the heck out of me with the report. What you don't see in the photo is my house to the right about 20'.

I had a chance to try some Orion mags, one was dead perfect, one had a very slight hickup when inserting pellet into breech. Loading was moderately easy, it'd be perfect with some little nubbies to stop my old fingers from slipping as you rotate it. I think I like them. I also have some CARMs, both have their strengths, with the CARM the pellets don't fall through but they have a slight misalignment also and they tend to slip with my old fingers, I'll probably have to sand off the bottoms a touch. Haven't gotten around to it yet. I think the finish on the Orions is better,

IMG_1684.jpeg

IMG_1671.jpeg

IMG_1683.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: OldSpook and orion
I did a quick test today of 4 mods. 55º, FX Maverick, .22 500mm barrel. #2 Reg 128.4bar Air Arms Diablo Field Heavy 18gr pellets 940fps A 'sound meter' calibration unknown but matches my iPhone. appox. 18" away, perpendicular to the muzzle. I only fired one shot for each and checked the POI as best as I could, all 4 had basically minimal effect on POI so that's out of the way, My gun doesn't like the AA pellets, my Sapsan LOVED them and I've got a ton of them....IF I ever get it beck from good old Joe B. from having a faulty reg. The Mods are skinny because i've got a larger bottle that I have to clear.

No Mod 116.9

Buck Rail 120.3

Donny FL Koi 108.1

Now, in fairness there is a hard table under the muzzle. Impressions, the Koi was the 'quietest' it removed the sharpness, the Impulse was next, I've been using this one with people on the other side of the fence, no comments. My Sapsans' Mod was ok, the Buck Rail was a WTH, gut feeling is, with a lower air volume it might work but it shocked the heck out of me with the report. What you don't see in the photo is my house to the right about 20'.

I had a chance to try some Orion mags, one was dead perfect, one had a very slight hickup when inserting pellet into breech. Loading was moderately easy, it'd be perfect with some little nubbies to stop my old fingers from slipping as you rotate it. I think I like them. I also have some CARMs, both have their strengths, with the CARM the pellets don't fall through but they have a slight misalignment also and they tend to slip with my old fingers, I'll probably have to sand off the bottoms a touch. Haven't gotten around to it yet. I think the finish on the Orions is better,

View attachment 314950

View attachment 314953

View attachment 314954
I'm going to update this, I finally got my Maverick back to where it's repeatable i.e. single holes with the 3 pellets I'm using. I was using the Koi then I put on the Impluse, zero change in POI and just a touch sharper sound. I still haven't had an opportunity to have someone else shoot it so I can hear it at a distance.

I ordered 2 for my hp condors.. that is the only use I see for them.. really hp gun that have no shroud to hold the first blast of air .. directly installed in a treaded barrel..should be quiet enough to not having to use hearing protection...but I bet a arm not back yard friendly..
Same here. It's very light but u must get extra baffles and they are caliber specific now but still crap compared to thread adapter, expansion chamber and emperor moderator (all donnyfl) and that thing is nucking futts. Hammer spring noise only on God! Dropped a coyote and second ran towards me lmao 🤣 that one was extinguished barely in time (dang single shot) but Donny is best for sound. But for hunting on foot I throw air impulse on because weight and length

Reactions: mercado
Just an update that I bought a 2nd 1350 for an incoming Sidewinder Compact and excited to hear that when it arrives.

I was also happy to see Impulse air adding thread adapters for the 1350 - I ordered up a M14X1.25 to test on my Leshiy.

I was trying 5 and 6 baffles on a Leshiy 2 250mm in .22 and comparing it to my Hornet / Huma MOD50 - I would say that it is the same with 5 and slightly quieter with 6. I tried both a 1350 in .30 and in .22 and I could not tell a difference in sound - my Leshiy is .22.

Weight of the Huma MOD50 is 11 oz, where the 1350 in .30 with 6 baffles is 5.7 oz.

The Leshiy has extra noise in using air to move the magazine, etc.. so there may be a bigger difference between the .22 and .30 on my FX impact but I have not tested that yet.

Last edited:
Donny always for now, this maxed out powered loader than buddies 22 rifle is tamed! Notice it's not all hanging off tip of barrel (severe poi shift). It's kinda like as but better in every way. If interested send me barrel and extension and emperor or meh ronin jk I will just charge labor. It's kinda permanent on extension end but can comes off for cleaning. Back is welded then back of emperor has my extension male thread on back with about 20 ports for back pressure and sound to go back into the extension. Almost did without before thankfully I had a engineer angel whisper in ear and wow. Quieter than off adapter tip. Preston 928 379 4275 please be respectful and I can help you get max reduction and lower overall length significantly.

No Mod 116.9

Buck Rail 120.3

Donny FL Koi 108.1

View attachment 314950

View attachment 314953

View attachment 314954
Impulse are best for weight and just taking the sharpness out of bark. I have 11 baffles in mine lol. Still 1 fourth emperor moderator.i like them because they don't weigh barrels down 👎
Emperor moderator Hollywood quiet but loss in upper moa adjustments 😂

Impulse are best for weight and just taking the sharpness out of bark. I have 11 baffles in mine lol. Still 1 fourth emperor moderator.i like them because they don't weigh barrels down 👎
Emperor moderator Hollywood quiet but loss in upper moa adjustments 😂
Sapsan sounds like made in China did it come with free covid virus on the butt of rifle?!

Anyone have any experience with Impulse Air IA-1200 moderator?
Suck except for their lightweight design. No barrel droop like Donny's. Like other guy said it takes bark out but still loud. Take my word for it not back yard friendly haha. I second him again definitely put my condor hearing safe. If weight is priority I would buy again but definitely get extra baffles. Mine is like a light saber lmao. 12 baffles and still 2x lighter than emperor