• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Any experience with Burris rings with the MOA inserts

I picked up a nice looking sporter built on a Mexican Mauser action. It had a pictnanny rail that I did not like, so went with some two piece bases and quickly learned that the sets of holes to mount were not aligned properly, so could not even bore sight a scope. A local gunsmith did some machining /grinding to tip the back base back closer to align, and then I got a set of the Burris signature rings and some of the eccentric inserts and actually bore sighted it just using the ring inserts.

I have two pairs. I have only set them with MOA cant. I have not used them for windage as I was always within half a turret revolution or so.

Very easy system to use for cant. Not sure how much fiddling it would take to adjust windage as you would change cant at same time.

Do you need these for a dovetail or picatinny rail? Both of my sets are picatinny. I'm not sure if there are dovetail versions or not.

Hawke makes something similar.

They are has good as you are patient and precise in setting them up. You can literally set your scope to any spot inside the circle using the different combinations of rings and spinning them. Once setup they are awesome and will not mar your tube at all. If you really want to make installing these easy sight in your gun at your close zero distance with any scope that you have, don't spend too much time on it. Then mount a laser anywhere on your gun or rail that won't be in the way of where you want your actual scope in the Burris rings to end up. Adjust the laser to exactly where your near zero is at the exact distance. Now you can remove the scope and put your Burris rings on and check on your alignment using the laser. I do this when I swap scopes and it saves a lot of time.

I have them on two rifles currently but have used them for years. You can actually get 40MOA by using the inserts as described in the installation manual. As stated, they leave no marks at all.
They do however, take some time and patience to set up properly if accuracy is the goal. And yes, if windage is off some, they can be twisted from horizontal to gain that center as needed (also explained in the installation manual).
The Signature XTR is the best option in my opinion.
I normally shoot a large cardboard at about 25 yards while it's in a vise, then adjust the scope to that point of impact to get very close, lock it down and make fine tune adjustments from there.
Mike

Burris makes a signiture set of rings it is 2 rings and like 8 clamshells they work very well I have them on my Ruger precision in 6.5 creedmoore now you can adjust 40moa left right up or down depending on how you configure , only drawback is knowing which you will need for what you shooting it may take a few times trying different clamshells , I think it took me 3 times to get what I needed to adjust my gun , but like most other adjustable rings this one will also do wind age as well
LOU

sigrings2.png

If you place the Burris XTR Signature rings really close to each other you can increase theamount of cant even further (cf. the instruction manual for details).

Burris also makes a one-piece cantilever mount with the same system of MOA inserts. That even uses quick-detach QD latches. Super to have all those features in just one mount.

I just bought one, hasn't gotten to me yet.

Matthias

Reactions: Mr.H
I'd be interested in your opinion on the one-piece mount, Matthias. I have a couple of ADM mounts, very nice, but a bit heavy.

It usually takes quite a while till AG stuff makes its way down to Peru....

I will forget, so if you are really interested, PM me about 10 days before Christmas. By that time I'm sure I'll have them. 👍🏼

Matthias