I have 2 their pretty chep"somebody made them a long time ago"

IMG_4501.JPG

IMG_4503.JPG

IMG_4505.JPG

IMG_4504.JPG

IMG_4502.JPG

IMG_4506.JPG

Reactions: Spartan
They may not be a pretty as others suggested, but for real processing Havalon knives have field replaceable scalpel blades. Absolutely purpose built for this task.

Specifically...

I've been eyeing those Havalons for years. They do seem quite handy. Only reason I have avoided so far is most, if not all, are folders. But they may make some fixed blade options now. I did see a fixed option from Hogue that looks nice, and also takes those #60 scalpel blades.

scal2.JPG

In the interim I decided to try this method out using just a plain scalpel handle and the #60 blades to see if I like it. Surgical Mart has a good deal on a handle and 20 blades for only $22. I just ordered it to see if I like the system. Will still be looking for a proper small fixed blade of super steel, though.

scal.JPG

Reactions: fishing43
This Exodus 3 small game knife from White River Knives is quickly climbing to the top of my list. Its S-35VN steel, not the S90V or 110V that I have been hoping to try out, otherwise it would already been on the way. I've used S30V for years and LOVE it as a general purpose knife steel, apparently 35VN is nearly identical, so maybe I should just settle for that. I really do want to try to the 90V or 110V, though.

scal3.JPG

I do have one of those type of knives that I carry with me as well. Though honestly I like a sold fixed blade knife for most work. Having to carry a bunch of little blades, as well as having to fiddle with them if you are already covered in blood doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

I feel the same way. There are some drawbacks for sure.

Spartan, post some pics of the knife shapes you prefer for your game processing for the heck of it.

I don't know much about knife blade steels but I sure find out the hard way which of my knives don't hold a edge well which is frustrating on a big game animal.
So that Expel looks like more my style for sure.

My old Mom got frustrated with the her nice German made kitchen knives because they'd dull relatively quick so she bought a Shun kitchen knife. It has a hard steel forged between a softer Damascus steel. When I use my Wicked Edge sharpener using grits all the way down to 3.5 micron its insane how sharp it gets. Ole Mom cut herself really bad shortly after I handed it off in spite of me showing her how sharp it was.
We inherited that knife which I sharpened a month ago and my wife cut herself twice in one week knowing full well how sharp it was.
It holds an edge so long I only sharpen it 3 times a year in spite of her using it almost every day.
Perhaps look into one of these smaller Shun kitchen knives for skinning??

I like knives but mostly gravitate to the Art Knives for the sheer allure of the beauty and craftsmanship.
Here's a few.
DSC00318.JPG
DSC00319.JPG

Here we go_Oh yea, people get to show off their custom knives, which is great,but are not knives for cleaning "kills".
Look at what steel the blade is made of,
Their are mass-produced knife makers that Do make great knives that are produced in the USA and are great for what you want.Look, Bradford,heck so many ytou are going to have to a bunch of homework.
"Truth" Jeff Beck...,oh they are great knives for what you want under $100.,BTW under $50, you know to sharpen a knife,that is another art formo_O

Lol..at 1st ,i though you was suugesting a knife from Ken ...that will set you back a few grand! The CRKT are good..but he wants a fixed blade.
I am not certain if he is still making knives..but have a look at Chris Reeves. Makes a sturdy fixed blade.
Mike

Sure, there are some very expensive mass-produced knives out there, too. He said he wanted a fixed blade to make cleaning easy, that's why I suggested the field-strippable flipper as it's the best of both worlds. Maybe doesn't have the kind of edge he wants, but otherwise it's a pretty nice idea.

Contact Matt. He can do pretty much whatever you want done. If he can’t he will tell you.

This is airgun related because I use a knife to process dozens and dozens of small quarry each year that I harvest with my airguns.

I'm looking to order a small, fixed blade knife made of steel with the highest edge retention and relatively decent corrosion resistance. S110V, 90V, M390, Maxamet, etc.

I know there are dozens of custom knife makers that can be found with a simple google search, but I also know that the heat treating process is often critical for these high end steels, and if it's not done properly, that $300 piece of steel is close to useless....at least for that price. Anyone can buy an exotic steel blank and make a knife with it to sell, but few can heat treat it properly to fully take advantage of its properties.

Any good recommendations for a custom knife maker?
Instead of looking for a custom piece, Id suggest you look for a high quality bushcraft knife, morakniv is an excellent brand, Ill reply this comment with more brands so that you have more options

I apologize, I didn't take the time to read the previous replies....
Check out the benchmade grizzly creek. It's a folder with a folding gut hook. It's my EDC and probably the last I'll ever own.
I know you want a fixed, but the quality of this knife with a lifetime warranty, free lifetime sharpening, made in USA, etc, it's definitely one you should consider.

I have about 25 custom knives. Bob Schultz made the two I use regularly, but sadly he isn’t with us anymore.
I had to process a deer last season and I didn’t have a good set of knives so I bought two cheapo knives from Walmart.
The filet knife was sharp but edge retention was bad. The bate cutting knife I got to skin the deer with was razor sharp and has held its edge for two more animals. Both knives cost $2.92/each! I put the bate cutter in my pack as a back up knife. It truly is an amazing cheap knife.

If you are on FB. Jeff Peters is amazing. He has made a few custom skinners, boning knifes, filet and an awesome camp knife. Sadly i have not been able to replace any of them after oir house fire. He won Forged in Fire on the episode he was in. Good guy from KY, makes some sweet ones. Old Wolf Forge, Kentucky, Jeff Peters.

FB_IMG_1705243838593.jpg

FB_IMG_1705243790464.jpg

FB_IMG_1705243770845.jpg

FB_IMG_1705243822549.jpg

FB_IMG_1705243830553.jpg

FB_IMG_1705243818086.jpg

FB_IMG_1705243809789.jpg

This Exodus 3 small game knife from White River Knives is quickly climbing to the top of my list. Its S-35VN steel, not the S90V or 110V that I have been hoping to try out, otherwise it would already been on the way. I've used S30V for years and LOVE it as a general purpose knife steel, apparently 35VN is nearly identical, so maybe I should just settle for that. I really do want to try to the 90V or 110V, though.

View attachment 424875
I like that one quite a bit! It reminds me of a piece I got from Michael Birch, before he became famous and really expensive.
It was originally cord wrapped, but I took that off and epoxied some Jade green G-10 handles on it.
IMG_9497.jpeg

This is airgun related because I use a knife to process dozens and dozens of small quarry each year that I harvest with my airguns.

I'm looking to order a small, fixed blade knife made of steel with the highest edge retention and relatively decent corrosion resistance. S110V, 90V, M390, Maxamet, etc.

I know there are dozens of custom knife makers that can be found with a simple google search, but I also know that the heat treating process is often critical for these high end steels, and if it's not done properly, that $300 piece of steel is close to useless....at least for that price. Anyone can buy an exotic steel blank and make a knife with it to sell, but few can heat treat it properly to fully take advantage of its properties.

Any good recommendations for a custom knife maker?
LaRoccaknives.... You can find him on facebook or etsy. He's a retired engineer who has turned his attention to knife making. He can use whatever steel you want. He will make recommendations based on the intended use. Best knife for the money. I'm partial since he's my brother

Reactions: fishing43
Status
Not open for further replies.