Any Custom Knife Maker Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spartan

Jan 18, 2020
USA
This is airgun related because I use a knife to process dozens and dozens of small quarry each year that I harvest with my airguns.

I'm looking to order a small, fixed blade knife made of steel with the highest edge retention and relatively decent corrosion resistance. S110V, 90V, M390, Maxamet, etc.

I know there are dozens of custom knife makers that can be found with a simple google search, but I also know that the heat treating process is often critical for these high end steels, and if it's not done properly, that $300 piece of steel is close to useless....at least for that price. Anyone can buy an exotic steel blank and make a knife with it to sell, but few can heat treat it properly to fully take advantage of its properties.

Any good recommendations for a custom knife maker?

Are you sure you want custom? IMO it would make more sense to go with a reputable mass-manufacturer, if you want some certainty.

I imagine you know, but knifecenter.com has lovely frequent youtube videos describing their new acquisitions. They pay attention to issues like heat treatment quality.

Although not relevant to your question if you want an edge that lasts near forever, tungsten carbide blades are fantastic. Very few manufacturers make them, and they're horrific to sharpen (diamond tools only, as far as I can tell). But the edge takes a serious beating and you almost never need to sharpen.

Reactions: Spartan
I don’t know all his specifics, he makes a wide variety of knives. This is a childhood friend of mine who his living his dream as a knife maker. Very well crafted stuff.

I forget what grade we were in, but I still remember going to a monster truck rally with him in elementary school. We sat in the back seat of my dad’s car and on the drive home we thought it was so cool we were up past midnight.

For processing small game, I would also go with a good mass produced knife and spent the remainder on a GOOD repeatable sharpening system. What do you hope to gain by going custom?

You have to figure that most knifemakers like myself who are weekend warriors wont go out and purchase a $3000 heat treat oven and so we use steels that are easy to heat treat using the forge.

If you just want to get something cool to use, I really like Caleb White knives.

....What do you hope to gain by going custom?...

I'm fussy on blade shape and handle material/texture. Blade shape for utility and handle material/texture for ease of proper cleaning/sanitizing when used for processing game. There's plenty of folders from the big manufacturers that come in the super steels, but the fixed blades are quite limited in design. I don't use folders for processing due to sanitation reasons. Just a personal choice.

Thanks to all for the recommendations so far. I'm checking them out as they come in. Just sent an email to Phil Wilson. Seems like an interesting guy.

Reactions: Rob_in_NC
What kind of price range are you looking? hundreds or thousands?
imo.
If you want a sharp, durable custom knife, find a maker using 1095 carbon steel. It is not going to have the corrosion resistance that stainless has, and requires a little more caution when storing. A wipe down with of any oil(i prefer clove oil for long term) will preserve it. Search for a member of the American Bladsmithing Society. They have strict requirements for joining, which means they know their stuff and are at the top of the field.
I have always prefered carbon steel to stainless for knives.
Mike

What kind of price range are you looking? hundreds or thousands?
imo.
If you want a sharp, durable custom knife, find a maker using 1095 carbon steel. It is not going to have the corrosion resistance that stainless has, and requires a little more caution when storing. A wipe down with of any oil(i prefer clove oil for long term) will preserve it. Search for a member of the American Bladsmithing Society. They have strict requirements for joining, which means they know their stuff and are at the top of the field.
I have always prefered carbon steel to stainless for knives.
Mike
Same here. I prefer maintaining for corrosion and having an easier blade to sharpen.

• Love
Reactions: manabeknives
I like to have at least one good knife with me at all times. For what you want and to spend a little less go to Smoky Mountain Knife Works and see what they have from Cold Steel. If you can find a Recon Tanto it’s very good. I have two. Also the Buck 110 is a tough one, I’ve kept one in a back pocket for decades. I f you can find someone to make it get a railroad spike forged into a knife. The toughest metal you’ll ever find and makes a knife just as tough.

Rick H.

I'm fussy on blade shape and handle material/texture. Blade shape for utility and handle material/texture for ease of proper cleaning/sanitizing when used for processing game. There's plenty of folders from the big manufacturers that come in the super steels, but the fixed blades are quite limited in design. I don't use folders for processing due to sanitation reasons. Just a personal choice.

Thanks to all for the recommendations so far. I'm checking them out as they come in. Just sent an email to Phil Wilson. Seems like an interesting guy.
Makes sense. You know what you want. I dont use any of the super steels due to only having a forge to heat treat so 1084, 1095 or 5160 are my go to. For corrosion resistance, I'll tend to give a FeCl bath. Not plugging 'my' knives to you. I'm just a weekend warrior at it, but there are plenty of good makers out there. I would imagine if you were buying, they'd be happy to go into detail on their heat treat process.

This is airgun related because I use a knife to process dozens and dozens of small quarry each year that I harvest with my airguns.

I'm looking to order a small, fixed blade knife made of steel with the highest edge retention and relatively decent corrosion resistance. S110V, 90V, M390, Maxamet, etc.

I know there are dozens of custom knife makers that can be found with a simple google search, but I also know that the heat treating process is often critical for these high end steels, and if it's not done properly, that $300 piece of steel is close to useless....at least for that price. Anyone can buy an exotic steel blank and make a knife with it to sell, but few can heat treat it properly to fully take advantage of its properties.

Any good recommendations for a custom knife maker?
P.m. may I have several knives that should fit what you’re looking for and customs and some factory knives

For what its worth, there are folders that are quick and easy to disassemble and reassemble for cleaning, without tools. The CRKT "Homefront" is one such, but be aware you need the "field strippable" version.

Still air gun related……..
05F90BC5-8B2F-4910-B65D-2734842D1847.jpeg

For what its worth, there are folders that are quick and easy to disassemble and reassemble for cleaning, without tools. The CRKT "Homefront" is one such, but be aware you need the "field strippable" version.

Lol..at 1st ,i though you was suugesting a knife from Ken ...that will set you back a few grand! The CRKT are good..but he wants a fixed blade.
I am not certain if he is still making knives..but have a look at Chris Reeves. Makes a sturdy fixed blade.
Mike

Reactions: Lotus7 and Spartan
Go over to BladeForums, you will find several quality custom knife makers that display and sell their knives. I currently have an order in progress from Deer Rock Knives. Greg sells most of his knives for less than $300.

I'm a recovering knife addict.😂 This will be my first Magnacut knife, so I can justify it. At least in my mind😂

If you need any help navigating BladeForums, lmk.

Good luck!

They may not be a pretty as others suggested, but for real processing Havalon knives have field replaceable scalpel blades. Absolutely purpose built for this task.

Specifically...

Cruise through this website. There are hundreds of knifemakers but if you are looking for a collector's item, then you will buy the person's name. There are also a good number of factory knifes. Just find one that catches your eye.

Status
Not open for further replies.