Any Central Coast Long Range Shooter or SLO Sportsman ASSn shooters?

I'm planning to shoot long distance 400 to 1000 yards in about 6 -8 months.
This is likely when the Altaros M24 will be available in the US.

I researched 2 different ranges that are with in 4 hours of San Francisco.
The San Louis Obispo Sportsman Association and the Central Coast Long Range.

I think they are at the same address, but are separate ranges? What is the difference?

Also, how often is a "cease fire" is called when shooters put up new targets.
Lastly, how are shooters placing their own paper targets at 500 + yards during a cease fire?
Does one drive their own vehicle 500 - 1000 yards to fix paper targets to a target stand?

Before my 1st visit, I wanted to have a understanding of protocol and standard range practices.
I might be the only air gunner shooting 500-700 yards and did not want to "look stupid" and give air gunners a bad rep.

Any intel would be appreciated.

Rod in San Francisco.

The front range at SLOSA is the public range. You can pay to shoot there but as far as I know, the far targets don’t reach 500yds.

The back (competition) ranges are run by several clubs. SLOSA members can join these clubs. Practice days are available to club members at their own ranges. You can be a guest of a club member if you don’t belong. Or, if it’s a scheduled competition, non-members can show up and participate. The Delta range goes out to over 1000yds. The Smallbore range is setup for NRA style silhouette matches and also includes high power center fire silhouette out to 500m.

I belong to SLOSA (main range) and SLSBA (Smallbore club). All of my airgun big bore/ELR practice is done at the Smallbore range. There are usually only a couple/few present at the Smallbore range on practice days, so calling a cold line to replace targets is easy enough. There are berms between ranges but I generally don’t like to walk farther out than 200m unless I coordinate with the adjacent Delta range.

I recently bought some 300yd and 500yd F-class targets. I plan on doing some informal benchrest at those distances. I made a target stand using an old frame from a patio swing. I could probably place it out to 600yds on the Smallbore range.

I usually walk out to the 200m and even 300m berms. Though I typically drive out if it’s farther. If I get there early, I can set my far targets before any ranges go hot.

You said it will be a few months. Contact me when you are ready and maybe we can setup some airgun practice and low key ELR matches.

Last edited:
The front range at SLOSA is the public range. You can pay to shoot there but as far as I know, the far targets don’t reach 500yds.

The back (competition) ranges are run by several clubs. Practice days are available to club members at their own ranges. You can be a guest of a club member if you don’t belong. The Delta range goes out to over 1000yds. The Smallbore range is setup for NRA style silhouette matches and also includes high power center fire silhouette out to 500m.

I belong to SLOSA (main range) and SLSBA (Smallbore club). All of my airgun big bore/ELR practice is done at the Smallbore range. There are usually only a couple/few present at the Smallbore range on practice days, so calling a cold line to replace targets is easy enough. There are berms between ranges but I generally don’t like to walk farther out than 200m unless I coordinate with the adjacent Delta range.

I recently bought some 300yd and 500yd F-class targets. I plan on doing some informal benchrest at those distances. I made a target stand using an old frame from a patio swing. I could probably place it out to 600yds on the Smallbore range.

I usually walk out to the 200m and even 300m berms. Though I typically drive out if it’s farther. If I get there early, I can set my far targets before any ranges go hot.

You said it will be a few months. Contact me when you are ready and maybe we can setup some airgun practice and low key ELR matches.
Scotchmo, Thanks again. We previously made contact, but I could not find that previous thread.
Thanks for the explanation. I have a better understanding of the differences.

I routinely shoot maximum of 300 yards with a 3 to 5 inch MOA, and 2 inch MOA at 200 yards. 300 yards is the maximum in my area. Before the Altaros M24 becomes available, I'm confident that my current Texan .257 LSS can reach out to 400 to 500 yards.

I'm having minor eye surgery on September 5th and with a 2-3 week recovery time. So, sometime after my recovery, I would like to connect with you for a day of shooting. I know the RSO's at every range have particular rules they enforce. So being with a experienced SLSBA shooter will have it's advantages.

Thanks again.
Rod in San Francisco

….

I routinely shoot maximum of 300 yards with a 3 to 5 inch MOA, and 2 inch MOA at 200 yards. …
Do you mean 3 to 5 inches at 300yds, and 2 inches at 200yds?

Or do you mean 3 to 5 MOA at 300yds and 2 MOA at 200yds?

The way I work, MOA and inches are two different things.

Though it’s easy to confuse “shooters MOA” (SMOA) and inches, because they can be the same, but only at 100yds.

Do you mean 3 to 5 inches at 300yds, and 2 inches at 200yds?

Or do you mean 3 to 5 MOA at 300yds and 2 MOA at 200yds?

The way I work, MOA and inches are two different things.

Though it’s easy to confuse “shooters MOA” (SMOA) and inches, because they can be the same, but only at 100yds.
At 200 yards, my groups are within 2 inches. At 300 yards, it open up at 3-5 inches

Measured center-to-center within a 2” circle at 200yds is about a 1 MOA group.

3” and 5” c-to-c circles at 300yds are about 1 MOA and 1.6 MOA groups.

All excellent.
Thank you. I apparently have miss spoke in several of my post. As impressive I thought my groups were, when stating 2 inch MOA at 200 yards, they were not that great in some readers thoughts.

Hi Scotchmo,
I'm tentatively planning my first trip to the SLOSA on either April 13/14 or April 20/21.
The dates all depend on the weather. I have a rv type camper van and plan on shooting both Sat and Sun. I would either overnight camp at a near by camp ground or somewhere close to the range.

I became a member at the SLOSA and would like to shoot at either the public range or the Central Coast long range.
My initial goal is to shoot paper targets to a maximum of 600 yards with my Texan or Altaros M24.

If by chance you would be practice shooting on either of these days, it would be my honor to meet you and pick your brain on some pcp long range shooting. I'm pretty much self sufficient with 4 large air tanks and a CS4 compressor to refill my tanks directly from my van.

Rod in San Francisco

If there are any other long range shooters who would like to join me for a day or two in San Luis Obispo, please reach out to me via email at [email protected] or text at 415 350 5282. The more the merrier. I will try to narrow down the exact dates/weekend as soon as possible. I will likely choose the date based on the best weather conditions.

Hope to see you in SLO!

Rod in San Francisco