• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Any .177 Slug Shooters?

Hi Felix,

In Denmark we are some who also seen the light of the Slugs,

Previously .177 Slugs was hard to get in Europe and the Nielsen slugs were expensive.

But with the arrival of the .177 Knockout slugs earliere this year, they were available to same price like quality pellets.

But shortly and sadly they were sold out everywhere.

The Nielsen slugs are 4-6 times as expensive as the Knockouts here in Europe.

Both the Knockout 10.03 and the 13.43 shoots extremely well out of my RedWolf.

All my airguns love the 13.43 but my FX Crown will not shoot the 10.03. 

My Redwolf shoots the 13.43 well at 945 fps and at 1020.

But just a Hint for you - My first PCP was a Benjamin Marauder .177 I went throug the same poop - could not find a desent pellet. Then I tried H&N Baracuda Hunter. (Not the extreme the one with a hollow point. If the barrels are the same it could be it would work for you too.

Best regards from Denmark

Claus Engfred Olsen

Reactions: JamesD.
I shoot the NSA 12.5 gr and 15 gr and also the JSB KO 13.43 gr out of my Daystate Red Wolf .177 HP and Daystate Delta Wolf .177 HP 👍🎯

FB090697-B056-4186-8D6B-A0877A916412.1638267850.jpeg

D30D8457-9419-45EC-BD7A-CA0A9B30D523.1638267952.jpeg

I will be testing some new slugs very soon. possibly as early as next week, they are in route to me.

These are specifically designed as " Low Power " .177 slugs from the manufacturer . 

As I understand from the supplier these are best in the 700 to 800 fps range and are 10.5gr, we'll see ...

I'll run the numbers and targets and get back to him and we'll go from there...

I was hoping to put a slug barrel on my DreamTac, but I see no FX slug barrels in .177 :(

Perhaps I can get a barrel made for my Raptor mini...

Thanks to all for your comments. To be continued...

the NSA 12.5 grain slugs shoot very accurately even at lowly 760fps out of 300mm 177 FX barrels. Definitely give them a try. I also found polishing the choke with JB bore paste helps along with a carbon liner sleeve really helps too. 

I have been using slugs in my vulcan 2 for hunting. 

I use 18gr wildman slugs, around 850 fps with great results. 

Lately I have been using jsb knockouts 13.4.gr, not chrono'd and they are very accurate too.

We have a saying. 177 for feather and. 22 for fur..

That's a load of bollox,

If you can shoot accurately they don't care what passed them over to the other side... 

I was hoping to put a slug barrel on my DreamTac, but I see no FX slug barrels in .177 :(

the NSA 12.5 grain slugs shoot very accurately even at lowly 760fps out of 300mm 177 FX barrels. Definitely give them a try. I also found polishing the choke with JB bore paste helps along with a carbon liner sleeve really helps too.

Unfortunately I read this after dark today :( , but I do have an assortment of NSA's in .177. I tested them all in the 500mm STX barrel with not so good results. Never thought of trying them in the 300mm.

I'll have to test them next weekend. Thanks for the tip, qball.

I have tried tuning my 500mm barrel, both superior, and smoothtwist X, in .177, and have so far not been able to get as good results, as in .22 caliber. Tried both weights of JSB knockouts. Got a pretty good tune on a wildcat, but it was not stable enought to hold its accuracy over time. Nice to see some has been succesfull. But in my opinion there seems to be less succesfull attempts in .177, as in .22, with FX liners. Do not think FX particulary tested the .177 liners for slugs when they made the them. Would be nice if they made a .177 slugliner, made and tested for the .177 knockouts. 

I have been using slugs in my vulcan 2 for hunting. 

I use 18gr wildman slugs, around 850 fps with great results. 

Lately I have been using jsb knockouts 13.4.gr, not chrono'd and they are very accurate too.

We have a saying. 177 for feather and. 22 for fur..

That's a load of bollox,

If you can shoot accurately they don't care what passed them over to the other side...

That is interesting. I happen to own a vulcan 2 tactical, but have never tried slugs in it. I did once tried some in a taipan, which also use a cz barrel as the vulcan doeas. But the barrel got allot of lead fouling in it, and ruined pellet accuracy. It took allot of effort to clean afterwards, so I never tried them in my vulcan. It however shoot pellets very well. Did you change the regpressure, or modified the gun? Shooting 18 grains .177 slugs at 850 fps probably need anything but stock setup? Are you sure it was not the 13.4 grains you got shooting at 850fps? Would anyway be nice to know your setup.

I'm shooting the 13.4 knockouts at 960fps out of an fx impact M3, 500mm superior liner and it's a laser beam, I can't believe how good it is, I take pigeons at 100 yds with ease and these slugs expand very well

20211203_163437.1639307451.jpg
//www.w3.org/2000/svg%22%20viewBox=%220%200%20210%20140%22%3E%3C/svg%3E

Yes, the Impact. I was shooting my .30 cal this weekend, and it never fails to bore me with its accuracy. (just kiddin') You have achieved my objective.

Unfortunately I read this after dark today :( , but I do have an assortment of NSA's in .177. I tested them all in the 500mm STX barrel with not so good results. Never thought of trying them in the 300mm.

I'll have to test them next weekend. Thanks for the tip, qball.

Today I had the opportunity to shoot all he .177 NSAs I have, and the 12.5s were ok, they were second best, but -THE NSA 15.5s!!! Perfection! 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards. Thanks qball, never would even have tried the 300mm barrel had you not mentioned it. Slugs shoot better than out of the 500mm barrel.

Having said that, I am only somewhat satisfied; I am still out to find a gun that will shoot the 21 grain NSAs accurately.