ANTI-SCAMMER list

Why don't we start an anti-scammer list? This is in response to the recent scammer list thread on this forum
(just here to start a bit of trouble again...sorry Michael...hee hee...I should actually be out shooting)

I'm sure there must be trustworthy legit airgunners in each State and city that would volunteer their time and gas money to help physically examine what a seller is selling.

Maybe even go a step further...video the product live (we do have the technology)...shoot the rifle if the seller agrees...check for leak...chrono it.

Then if the buyer wants to buy...buyer and seller can either use those nifty online payment options ...or whatever payment method.

The volunteer can then ensure the product is wrapped up securely and mailed. (eyeball it to a mail box or post office or UPS or FEDEX)

On the classified end, if the seller agrees...they can post...I agree to my rifle being examine by someone from the anti-scammer list.

This can also be done prior to a sale. This rifle was examine by xxx on the anti-scammer list on 8-23-23 and found to be as described ...etc.

Last edited:
I think the intention is good but I don't think it will. work. It sounds too complicated. Also everyone has different standards and maybe the buyer would have higher expectations than the evaluator. I could see someone feeling like he got ripped off and trying legal remedies against the guy who checked out the gun for free and at his own expense. I don't mean to be a buzzkill but I guess these days you have to cover your butt. I could see a case where a buyer and an evaluator colluded if they were friends in the same city.
I think the only way it could work is that the investigator got a fee from the buyer and be bonded and insured. Not practical in my opinion but I'm not an attorney.

Reactions: beerthief
How you avoid all of this and and the dream of having pellet gun/shipping inspectors using their free time to make Joe Random feel safe is simple. Spend enough time on the forum to know who you would trust buying something from. Trust me, there is no deal good enough or product cool enough to just buy it used from someone you have zero vibes about. The used market and prices have improved slightly over the last couple months but generally the price difference between used and new is not worth the risk if you don’t kinda know the guy. Two examples. I bought a brand new FFP scope. Opened the box, took a look at the microscopic reticle and hated it. Put it back in the box and sold it to a member here. He received it and said the windage or elevation turret wasn’t working properly. I told him to place it in the nearest garbage can and I refunded his money. I recently purchased a barrel and hardware from a known member. Some things were a little banged up causing problems. He refunded the money. I discovered the issue and ordered new parts so things would function so I refunded half of his refund and we were both happy. This is how it works if you are here enough for people to know you and you them. If guys don’t want to spend the time here and just use AGN as another online shopping vendor, good luck getting a guy who has no clue who you are to spend the day looking over the used toy you decided to buy.

Why don't we start an anti-scammer list? This is in response to the recent scammer list thread on this forum
(just here to start a bit of trouble again...sorry Michael...hee hee...I should actually be out shooting)

I'm sure there must be trustworthy legit airgunners in each State and city that would volunteer their time and gas money to help physically examine what a seller is selling.

Maybe even go a step further...video the product live (we do have the technology)...shoot the rifle if the seller agrees...check for leak...chrono it.

Then if the buyer wants to buy...buyer and seller can either use those nifty online payment options ...or whatever payment method.

The volunteer can then ensure the product is wrapped up securely and mailed. (eyeball it to a mail box or post office or UPS or FEDEX)

On the classified end, if the seller agrees...they can post...I agree to my rifle being examine by someone from the anti-scammer list.

This can also be done prior to a sale. This rifle was examine by xxx on the anti-scammer list on 8-23-23 and found to be as described ...etc.
the only way this would totally work is IF YOU TRAVEL AND inspect it yourself .!

Reactions: ba49
I think the intention is good but I don't think it will. work. It sounds too complicated. Also everyone has different standards and maybe the buyer would have higher expectations than the evaluator. I could see someone feeling like he got ripped off and trying legal remedies against the guy who checked out the gun for free and at his own expense. I don't mean to be a buzzkill but I guess these days you have to cover your butt. I could see a case where a buyer and an evaluator colluded if they were friends in the same city.
I think the only way it could work is that the investigator got a fee from the buyer and be bonded and insured. Not practical in my opinion but I'm not an attorney.
I totally agree with you and some of the posting regarding "opinions/subjectivity".

Hopefully the "live" video will attenuate some of the fear of dealing with a stranger (Is there really a rifle there, is there really a seller..etc).
The "live" video will hopefully give more data regarding the condition of the product with no volunteer input. But with the added ability to manipulate the product in 3D to give more data.

Just more random rambling.