Anti double load is really necessary ?

Very nice feature to have when hunting. My Veteran is my favorite gun for that very reason. I can usually keep up with it when I hunt with my Cricket but a couple of weeks ago I went squirrel hunting with my buddy and his dogs and I took my Cricket. During all of the excitement I had a hard time keeping up with it and I did double load it once and had to shoot it into the ground to make sure. The main concern for me on a gun is accuracy and reliability but anti double feed is the bomb 💣.

I would like that feature. I had two issues with this topic while hunting yesterday. While hunting in below freezing temps, I believe the gun oil I used to lube the hammer either thickened up or the valve froze. I useally use dry graphite. Either way, the rifle just clicked when I pulled the trigger. So I cocked it again not even thinking about it already having a pellet chambered. I did get the squirrel at 15 yards with both pellets. The other time, I was walking through brush and I must have caught the bolt. The next shot at a squirrel required me to close the bolt, thus racking in a second pellet. I shot that round in the snow and seen the two holes. On my Badger, I actually have a rubber band around the trigger gaurd and up over the bolt so it can’t pop up while walking through brush. So I can see the advantage of a anti double load option.

I double load/double cock all the time, have for years and will no doubt continue to do so....always had a terrible memory. When I'm not sure, I put the gun on safe(usually), open the bolt, then blow down the barrel from the muzzle end to check for a pellet in the bore. easy to tell this way. Yeah, it probably gets moisture in there on a cold day. When I'm not sure if it is double or triple loaded, I push out the pellet/s with a wood dowel and count them. I would pay an extra 15% for an anti-double load feature on a gun, if it worked without causing other problems. What I really hate though is wasting an empty shot or two or three, when hunting, when the mag runs out of pellets and the animal just looks at me like I'm an idiot. So, I will not buy/shoot any air gun that permits cocking/firing after the mag empties. 

I put the gun on safe(usually), open the bolt, then blow down the barrel from the muzzle end to check for a pellet in the bore. easy to tell this way.

A bit of advice, take it or leave it.. This ^ is a very bad idea on so many levels, my suggestion is to stop doing this, imo.... Your wood dowel method is much better. Yes, if you seem to have this problem regularly, anti-double load is a great feature.

I double load/double cock all the time, have for years and will no doubt continue to do so....always had a terrible memory. When I'm not sure, I put the gun on safe(usually), open the bolt, then blow down the barrel from the muzzle end to check for a pellet in the bore. easy to tell this way. Yeah, it probably gets moisture in there on a cold day. When I'm not sure if it is double or triple loaded, I push out the pellet/s with a wood dowel and count them. I would pay an extra 15% for an anti-double load feature on a gun, if it worked without causing other problems. What I really hate though is wasting an empty shot or two or three, when hunting, when the mag runs out of pellets and the animal just looks at me like I'm an idiot. So, I will not buy/shoot any air gun that permits cocking/firing after the mag empties.

Darwin's theory on natural selection comes to mind.

Never put the muzzle near your mouth, unless you intend to move on to other realms

"put the gun on safe(usually)" this is so wrong 

You're hunting. You load a fresh mag with your favorite projectiles. You have the gun cocked and one chambered. You can de-cock and the gun is safe with a projectile ready. When you're ready to shoot just cock and shoot without the worry of double loading. It's a nice feature. Your gun isn't cocked with the HS needlessly fully compressed for possibly hours. Anyway, that alone is nice much less the avoidance of a mishap double-load.

Well said. I use this method often on my Veteran.

Are power heated leather seats necessary? No but they sure as hell are nice to have :)

Matt

The ANTI-double load feature only works if you use the magazine. IF you load single shot tray, you can still double load a RedWolf HP...when distacted...and thinking you didn't load one in..when you squeeze the trigger, you will THEN know you double loaded. EVERYONE has or will double load and shoot. Its just bad when you do it when you are shooting score.

I figured I would get a couple 'your gonna kill yourself" replies. people been telling me that since I was 10 but I have never accidentally fired a gun in my life....the odds I will do so while using my bore checking method are lower than getting struck be lightening or me winning the lottery....and I have never bought a ticket. second, I really don't care much if I die sooner than later; I am 72 and have been everywhere and done everything I ever wanted and have been cheating death all my life. I believe that If it isn't dangerous, it isn't going to be much fun. Everyone that knows me will attest to that, at least the few that have out lived me. I am not recommending that you or anyone else do what i do, but it is easy and does save time. This response reminds me of another post i made years ago on a forum, and the names I got called because of it; I have welded 20 -30 car gas tanks in my time and I never bother to dump out all the gas....I simply remove the gas cap and sending unit and light the openings on fire first, before i start welding. The oxygen in the tank burns up quickly, so the gas inside can't burn or explode while I do my brazing. People would bring me their tanks to weld, expecting a show, but I got good money for doing what they thought was crazy. People think a lot of things are dangerous that really aren't. Now Russian roulette; that's dangerous. I will probably die in my sleep in the next few years from something really boring

Steeve, I used to blow down the muzzle also. Then realized I could send a pellet thru my throat. Not good. I use a straighten paper clip now. If I do have a pellet in the chamber I decock the gun and put a wood dowel down the muzzle with a piece of white duct tape as a flag. Be nice if maybe one of these suppressor mfg's could incorporate / offer a laser with a momentary push button, that would shine down the bore then the shooter could look for a light shining on the pellet probe...