Anschütz 2025 Failure

In need of assistance. I’ve had an Anschütz model 2025 air rifle for over 15 years that I bought new from Champion’s Choice. I’ve never worked on the rifle. About 5 days ago I was shooting after my usual air up and the gun stopped working. After one good shot it was just a click and nothing else. No air discharge and no noise. Just click.

I contacted Anschütz of North America and they told me to contact Elite Shooting in Montana. I’ve emailed Champion’s Choice and Elite but no replies yet. The gun is out of warranty, naturally, and no longer made so parts might be a problem. Anschütz of North America wants nothing to do with the rifle.

However, I have no idea what is wrong. Do I take the gun apart to attempt to determine the cause? If no airgunsmith will work on it what then? The gun was in perfect working order, it looks new. So, can anyone tell me what they would do next? I’m assuming the answers from the various gun shops will be negative. The answers have all been negative so far.

Thanks for your help.

AD2

I believe Champions Choice s closed right now but I would contact them when they reopen. Also, I would post my question on the Target talk forum. This forum is more high power/hunter type guys. Targettalk is more target shooting, smallbore and 10 meter air. You could also try Scott Pilkington, he runs the Targettalk forum. David Slade was already mentioned. I am surprised Anschutz would not help. They just help me with a problem with an 8002. You have a nice rifle and I hope you can get it squared away.

Rick Bassett

When you say, just a click and nothing else, I'm not clear on exactly what it's doing. Does the rifle cock properly when the lever is pulled back? If so, then what happens when you pull the trigger? If it's not cocking, either the trigger sear engagement is off, or, there is some type of top sear or lever that engages the hammer assembly that could be broken. If it's cocking, but not releasing when the trigger is pulled, that seems also to indicate an issue in the trigger assembly. I expect the repair is probably simple, unless there is an issue either a discontinued part.

My rifle doesn’t have a dry fire feature.

The rifle cocks normally, the trigger works without a problem, and when the trigger is pulled the rifle makes a click noise. The air cylinder is full, but I cannot hear any air escaping. The lack of air escaping really puzzles me. The valve that releases the air must be stuck, but the click indicates the hammer is hitting the valve release. What is causing the valve to freeze? By the way, I can cock the gun over and over and get click after click. To me, with my lack of maintenance experience, it seems strange.

As an aside, I have a Walther LG300 I’ve owned for about 20 years. A few months back it lost power and fired the pellets very slowly. I called several gunsmiths without luck, so I finally mailed it to the repair staff at Walther USA. I waited for over a week, and all I received was an email saying it had been received. Then the rifle just showed up at my door! The invoice stated the regulator had failed and they replaced it for NO CHARGE. They also shipped it back to me at no charge. Recall this was a 20 year old air rifle that was out of production, as far as I can tell, for 10 years when the LG400 came on the market.

The contrast between my treatment by Walther and Anschütz is stunning to me. Walther told me to send it to them for inspection, then they fixed it and shipped it back at their cost. Anschütz told me to contact someone else. The difference is amazing.

AD2

Dave Slade or Allen Zasadny or as already mentioned a dry fire option blonde moment. Otherwise I would just unscrew that air cylinder give it a couple of hard whacks like chopping a tree on the bed manometer facing me then screw it back in and if that didn't work then I would have alleviated at least some of the frustration. Good Luck. Yo

Alan is correct, the 2025 does not have a dry fire feature. It has a manually engaged safety, but no dry fire switch to accidentally hit or activate.

Possibly your valve seal has gone bad and has distorted enough to prevent the poppet from opening upon trigger release.

Next guess would be a possible poppet valve stem being broken. I think that it is called out on the schematic as a firing valve and firing valve seal.

Depending on your location, Scott Schneider in California could sort it out for you. He goes by 'Motorhead' here on the forum.

Parts are still available for the rifle, but you may wind up sourcing them from overseas.

Pilkingtons or Neal Stepp at ISS will be your best bet for parts stateside. 

Thanks for the answer to my question. Airgun Nation has been excellent on trying to help. I have emails out to two of the suggested people that might fix the gun. If I need to contact others I will. The entire matter confuses me and I am astonished that Anschütz didn’t offer more help. I am wondering how the home plate company in Germany would respond. I probably will not write the home of Anschütz because I doubt they can do anything, and all I want is my rifle repaired. A positive response from any of the experts named in response to my post should be enough to solve my problem.

Thanks to everyone!

AD2

Hello Chuck-in-Ohio:

Absolutely zero luck. Most did not respond, Champions Choice for one, but those who did respond all said basically the same thing, to wit: they do not work on the Anschütz 2025 because the parts are not available. I assume the rifle is just too old. Kinda like me (72).

I wonder if I could get an action that I could fit into the stock and use the barrel and charge tube to round out the gun. Might be a way to use the parts that still work. Probably pretty far fetched.

Anyway, I will keep looking, but nothing at this point. If anything comes up I’ll check back in.

AD2

Were you able to contact or get a response from Alan Zasadny or Scott Schneider?

The High powered Anschutz models based on the 2002CA action, 2020 and 2025, are based on a rifle originally done by Alan Zasadny, the 2002ZM I think it was called. I would think that if anyone would have a handle on repairing one, it would be him.

Scott Schneider is a very thorough and knowledgeable Airgun Smith who has the knowledge and capability to make parts that are not obtainable elsewhere, and may possibly work better than stock.

The 2002CA, 2020, AND 2025 Anschutz rifles are all basically the same rifle with internal differences to allow for the different power levels. I am not familiar enough with the different variants and their component bits to tell you definitively which parts are common across all 3 platforms unfortunately.

Reading through the article at the following link, this fellow states that the firing valve assembly of the 2002CA platform is the same as the more current 8002 S1 action, so perhaps there is still hope for parts replacement?

https://airgunaccuracy.wordpress.com/anschutz-2002-field-target-conversion/

I contacted David Slade at Airgunworks by email and he replied that parts were not available. I thought Mr. Zasadny worked at the same place.

I have read the article you referenced; however, my lack of repair knowledge kept me from understanding the importance of the various points the author was making. Maybe the 8002s1 action is the answer, but I’m not all that hopeful because the experts I’ve emailed would have known that and based their answers on that knowledge. Nonetheless, I think I will keep poking around.
thank you for the help.

AD2