• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Results Another win for .22 JSB Monster RDs ... at RMAC Pro 100Y BR

Looks like despite the variable pellet quality, the .22 JSB Monster RD at 25.4 grains chalked up another win in the Pro division 100Y BR. That makes RMAC 2022, EBR 2018, EBR 2019 and EBR 2021. What is it about these pellets that makes them perform so well? I know they require detailed sorting, but once that is done it seems they are the pellet to beat at 100Y BR... And it was WINDY in the qualification rounds at RMAC 2022. Not as much in the Final, but especially qual. round 2.

Looks like despite the variable pellet quality, the .22 JSB Monster RD at 25.4 grains chalked up another win in the Pro division 100Y BR. That makes RMAC 2022, EBR 2018, EBR 2019 and EBR 2021. What is it about these pellets that makes them perform so well? I know they require detailed sorting, but once that is done it seems they are the pellet to beat at 100Y BR... And it was WINDY in the qualification rounds at RMAC 2022. Not as much in the Final, but especially qual. round 2.

I just ordered a ton of these as these have shot absolutely astonishingly out of my Alpha and I have decided that unless the JSB beasts (their side profile looks very similar) shoot the same, these are going to be my ammo of choice in the .22 hp Alpha Wolf. I haven't sorted them at all but maybe I will start. I am going to try my hand at a BR competition in NY on the 10th with this combo.

Reactions: Centercut
The .22 JSB Monster RD at 25.4:

I know they require detailed sorting, but once that is done it seems they are the pellet to beat at 100y BR....

Mike,

what sorting would you say is the most beneficial for this pellet for 100y hunting (not competition)?

▪︎Weight? Down to what weight variation would you say it makes sense?

▪︎Or rather head size? What permissable variation?

▪︎Ot the Yrrah roll?

▪︎Or do I just make a simply physical deformation check?

Thanks for your help! 👍🏼
(I'm just getting into this pellet with a Priest Compact Performance .22)

Matthias

No RMAC, EBR experience here but plenty of shooting the MRDs at long range for XFT practice and less so, in XFT matches.

I started a big discussion on sorting them and the improvements than can be seen after doing so. While I still firmly hold the stance that sorting can drastically impove a bad batch, I've since come across a batch that shoots better unsorted than I can make a bad batch shoot after sorting.

So, I think it's highly batch dependent. A crap batch will still "break your heart" as you say and throw a flyer even after sorting. Yes, much less often than trying to shoot a bad batch unsorted. BUT a good batch has fewer flyers unsorted than a bad batch has after being sorted.

Mike,

what sorting would you say is the most beneficial for this pellet for 100y hunting (not competition)?

▪︎Weight? Down to what weight variation would you say it makes sense?

▪︎Or rather head size? What permissable variation?

▪︎Ot the Yrrah roll?

▪︎Or do I just make a simply physical deformation check?

Thanks for your help! 👍🏼
(I'm just getting into this pellet with a Priest Compact Performance .22)

Matthias
Like Cole says above, a good batch unsorted is better than a so-so batch sorted. SO for hunting, I'd shoot some at paper 100 yards and see how they do. If you only get a flyer every 25 to 30 shots, then just shoot them as is. If you get a flyer once every ten shots, sort them visually for damage, then weight them and eliminate the less than 25.3 and heavier than 25.7 pellets, and then size them so that the small (5.51 and smaller) are culled. I've found the past two years that the FX branded ones required less culling. If you find a tin that shoots well and you only need to cull less than 10%, buy 50 tins (or more) because those are rare...

Reactions: _CTAIRGUNNER_
Like Cole says above, a good batch unsorted is better than a so-so batch sorted. SO for hunting, I'd shoot some at paper 100 yards and see how they do. If you only get a flyer every 25 to 30 shots, then just shoot them as is. If you get a flyer once every ten shots, sort them visually for damage, then weight them and eliminate the less than 25.3 and heavier than 25.7 pellets, and then size them so that the small (5.51 and smaller) are culled. I've found the past two years that the FX branded ones required less culling. If you find a tin that shoots well and you only need to cull less than 10%, buy 50 tins (or more) because those are rare...
I pretty much agree with Mike. Though I believe head size is the biggest problem with MRD's at the moment. I would personally:
  1. Visually inspect
  2. Head-size
  3. Weigh

JMO

-Michael

Hmmmm. That seems to defy what many on AGN post. Alot of posts about how the .25 or .30gr. are the calibers to go with, because they are just more accurate than the .22 caliber...especially shooting in the wind.

What makes them so good is the highest BC in pellet world at the moment, BC of 0.053 is over 50% higher than the BC of 0.33 for 34 grain 25 heavy, or about 25% better than 44 grain 30 cal pellet BC of 0.042. Another way to put it is the .22 MRD has 50% less wind drift compare to 34 grain heavy and 25% less wind drift compare 44 grain 30 cal pellet, impressive!

I've shared it before but here's it is again.....
Red hash denotes the highest BCs.
The 34grain .25 is heavier than what qball reported above.
This was shared by JSB on either Facebook or Instagram roughly two years ago.
You really wanna have your mind blown? Look at the BCs for the .20 Heavy vs the .30!!! And I've tested and confirmed that high BC of the .20 Heavy. It's good!!!

The only ones I can disagree with from personal BC collections are that the .177/10.34s can be a bit better than the chart shows, and I've never gotten a BC as high as they report for the .22/18.13s.
BCs.1627199063.JPG

But back to Centercut's point of this topic, the .22/MRD is GOOD, GOOD, GOOD at long range accuracy. Perhaps the best current long range pellet. Why? I dunno, but it is. (Or at least can be with good batches).

Last edited:
What makes them so good is the highest BC in pellet world at the moment, BC of 0.053 is over 50% higher than the BC of 0.33 for 34 grain 25 heavy, or about 25% better than 44 grain 30 cal pellet BC of 0.042. Another way to put it is the .22 MRD has 50% less wind drift compare to 34 grain heavy and 25% less wind drift compare 44 grain 30 cal pellet, impressive!
I have to disagree with that. The .25 Heavy 34 grain has a slightly better BC than the .22 Monster RDs…

I've shared it before but here's it is again.....
Red hash denotes the highest BCs.
The 34grain .25 is heavier than what qball reported above.
This was shared by JSB on either Facebook or Instagram roughly two years ago.
You really wanna have your mind blown? Look at the BCs for the .20 Heavy vs the .30!!! And I've tested and confirmed that high BC of the .20 Heavy. It's good!!!

The only ones I can disagree with from personal BC collections are that the .177/10.34s can be a bit better than the chart shows, and I've never gotten a BC as high as they report for the .22/18.13s.
View attachment 270249

But back to Centercut's point of this topic, the .22/MRD is GOOD, GOOD, GOOD at long range accuracy. Perhaps the best current long range pellet. Why? I dunno, but it is. (Or at least can be with good batches).

Wow that would explain why my Taipan Long in .25 was so damn accurate out to even 125 with those Exact King Heavy!

Also, in my experience... the .22 MRD's need to be shot significantly faster than most all pellets. For example:
  • Daystate Redwolf HP polygonal barrel @ 940 fps
  • FX Impact 700mm STX barrel @ 970 fps
The MRD's (at least the old design) are laser accurate out to about 100y - 125y. Then, as they lose velocity they start to fall apart.

On the other hand, the .25 cal 34g tend to maintain accuracy at distances over 100y. I shoot them out of my Daystate Delta Wolf about 900 fps. I have yet to use my Labradar to compare the drop in velocity after 100y, but my guess is they don't lose as much velocity as the MRD's, but that's just a guess.

-Michael

I have to disagree with that. The .25 Heavy 34 grain has a slightly better BC than the .22 Monster RDs…

Also, in my experience... the .22 MRD's need to be shot significantly faster than most all pellets. For example:
The MRD's (at least the old design) are laser accurate out to about 100y - 125y. Then, as they lose velocity they start to fall apart.

On the other hand, the .25 cal 34g tend to maintain accuracy at distances over 100y. I shoot them out of my Daystate Delta Wolf about 900 fps. I have yet to use my Labradar to compare the drop in velocity after 100y, but my guess is they don't lose as much velocity as the MRD's, but that's just a guess.

-Michael

Id have to agree there on the .25 34g, they were blasting through the plywood with a loud smack at 115 yards out of my Vet Long, a really really good pellet.

DETAILED SORTING? I don't know how many times I've read on AGN from those at the top of the heap, they DONT sort period. They just look at the skirts and let them fly.

-Michael

While I agree that generally, MRD'sdo better in our poly barreled rifles going faster, my experience is about opposite of yours, Michael. I shoot sometimes at a friend's place that lives near Flagstaff in the cinder hills. On his back range, we can shoot up to 400 yards and most of the targets are in the cinders where we can see the splash of the misses. Another friend was there with a 30 on a particular day and trying to hit the 220 and 289 yard targets... not very big, either. I broke out the RW in 22 and the Safari in 25 and tried my luck. At 220, the hit ratio was about the same and misses were close. At 289, the 25 with KHMk2s had about a 5 ft diameter "group" around the little target where the 22 w MRD's had a decent hit ratio and the misses were very close around it. The 30 with 50.1s was better than the 25 but he was holding 6 mils for wind where I was only holding 2.8.
I would throw out there that the MRD behavior is somewhat barrel dependent. In the poly's and possibly some Fx, high speeds seem to be good but for standard rifling, the ones I personally know and some of the stories on here, slower works well and may even be preferred. In 2 instances I know for sure, they start in the 890 area and are still quite good at 100 yards.
Just my $0.02.
Bob

Reactions: Centercut
DETAILED SORTING? I don't know how many times I've read on AGN from those at the top of the heap, they DONT sort period. They just look at the skirts and let them fly.
Everyone I know that shoots Pro at 100Y BR either RMAC or EBR sorts their .22 RDMs... In fact, I don't know ANYONE who shoots 100Y BR successfully that doesn't. The only "top of the heap" I know that doesn't sort also doesn't shoot 100Y BR. That's probably who you are referring to?

Last edited:

-Michael

While I agree that generally, MRD'sdo better in our poly barreled rifles going faster, my experience is about opposite of yours, Michael. I shoot sometimes at a friend's place that lives near Flagstaff in the cinder hills. On his back range, we can shoot up to 400 yards and most of the targets are in the cinders where we can see the splash of the misses. Another friend was there with a 30 on a particular day and trying to hit the 220 and 289 yard targets... not very big, either. I broke out the RW in 22 and the Safari in 25 and tried my luck. At 220, the hit ratio was about the same and misses were close. At 289, the 25 with KHMk2s had about a 5 ft diameter "group" around the little target where the 22 w MRD's had a decent hit ratio and the misses were very close around it. The 30 with 50.1s was better than the 25 but he was holding 6 mils for wind where I was only holding 2.8.
I would throw out there that the MRD behavior is somewhat barrel dependent. In the poly's and possibly some Fx, high speeds seem to be good but for standard rifling, the ones I personally know and some of the stories on here, slower works well and may even be preferred. In 2 instances I know for sure, they start in the 890 area and are still quite good at 100 yards.
Just my $0.02.
Bob
I just confirmed yesterday that mine hold together to at least 144 yards @ 890 from an unchoked 12 land and groove LW.

Two doves landed on the fence at 130 yards while I was shooting paper at the 144 and I quickly dispatched them, one shot for each. Had to hold into the wind a bit more than a mil and would not have known that had they not dropped in on my paper shooting session. Made me smile to drop them both with clean kills, one through the upper back/base of the wings area and the other through the base of the neck. That's a long dang ways and I felt pretty good about it. Made me think about how far airguns have come in the last 10 years and how happy I was to be shooting quarter sized groups at 50 yards with my Benjamin Discovery when I first started this PCP craziness around 2013.

The paper at 144 was shooting those orange sticker targets that are just a bit bigger than an inch. Could not hit them every shot but could keep them all within 4 or 5 inches of the center of the sticker, with many holes in the stickers. It was windy and I think in a less-windy situation the rig would probably do 2-3 inch groups at that distance.

Impressive pellets, when the batch is good.

I can't imagine why on earth someone would not sort their pellets before a major competition if for nothing else the mental boost of knowing that you have put the work in.

I don't reload but my son does and he shoots long range powder burners. Every component gets inspected, weighed, measured to the ten thousanth, etc. I asked him why he obsessed so much over things that can't possibly matter? I thought he was going to call the people who wear white coats and carry straight jackets on me!

Having said all that, I recently sorted two batches of pellets. A group of JSB MRD 25.4 and a group of the FX equivalent. Granted, it was a small sample of 30 specimens each but there is definitely enough deviation to makes a difference. I measured skirt depth, weight, and head size. My results are below:

Screen Shot 2022-06-23 at 7.08.21 PM.png

I can't imagine why on earth someone would not sort their pellets before a major competition if for nothing else the mental boost of knowing that you have put the work in.

I don't reload but my son does and he shoots long range powder burners. Every component gets inspected, weighed, measured to the ten thousanth, etc. I asked him why he obsessed so much over things that can't possibly matter? I thought he was going to call the people who wear white coats and carry straight jackets on me!

Having said all that, I recently sorted two batches of pellets. A group of JSB MRD 25.4 and a group of the FX equivalent. Granted, it was a small sample of 30 specimens each but there is definitely enough deviation to makes a difference. I measured skirt depth, weight, and head size. My results are below:

View attachment 270680
What tool did you use to get these detailed numbers? Just a good set of calipers?