Another "what should I get for my first PCP?" thread

For most bench shooting I will recommend RAW HM1000x or FX Crown in .22 or .25... in my opinion two the best bench, classic rifles.

B

I agree fully, with a slight edge going to the RAW.

... Or a Red Wolf in .22 with the GC2 electronics (65 FPE at the muzzle). Likely the most accurate 100 yard plus gun in my collection, and it has some real good competition.

But of the 3, the Crown is the winner for potential caliber changes.

And you speak of only getting 1 PCP - such foolhardiness!😉

Hold off on the Delta Wolf for now, and instead get a RAW and a Red Wolf HP, one in .22 and the other in .25.

For most bench shooting I will recommend RAW HM1000x or FX Crown in .22 or .25... in my opinion two the best bench, classic rifles.

B

... Or a Red Wolf in .22 with the GC2 electronics (65 FPE at the muzzle). Likely the most accurate 100 yard plus gun in my collection, and it has some real good competition.

And you speak of only getting 1 PCP - such foolhardiness!😉

Hold off on the Delta Wolf for now, and instead get a RAW and a Red Wolf HP, one in .22 and the other in .25.

😂😂😂 I just edit my post adding RedWolf

B

B

And you speak of only getting 1 PCP - such foolhardiness!
1f609.svg

I know, believe me, I do know (about my obsessions anyway). I need to get started with one, and then worry about more later. I have a couple other major purchases that should probably come before anything else but, I think I can get away with sliding one rifle in before the other stuff.

RAW HM1000X in .25 cal. That’s where I’d spend my money. Set it and forget it type rifle no tinkering needed . Pick a projectile or two and run with it. The only downside is the ungodly looking moderator. I’m can say in the last ten years of reading about and owning different PCP’s I’ve never heard of complaints with the RAW. Not to mention the support they have. 

Another vote for the Impact. Mine is a .30 and puts out 100+fpe and there's some more juice that can be squeezed too. With it's next upgrade it ought to be over 125fpe.

Flinging slugs these days. Neilson. The 61.5gr @900fps seem to do the best, but next upgrade will do who knows what yet. The goal is to send the 65.5gr at 950fps.

100yds, if I'm doing my part is np MOA or less. On a good day I can repeatedly hit the bull at 100yds.

50yds is cheating if you are shooting w/ your buddies. We are shooting little pieces of chalk. The Impact will easily trim the top of the chalk.

Oh, and mine is a Gen1, sort of

Impact.1615557392.jpg

Thanks all for the suggestions.

For further refinement....

I will not be hand pumping. I have a source for high pressure nitrogen.

I will not be woods walking. The beaver are invasive on my property....and will be shot from a bench.

Hunting is a very distant secondary use. Training for 100 yard EBR with no intention of ever competing against anyone but myself is the primary use.

Well, now that we know this rifle will be used 100% bench shooting, and you prefer the classic style rife, its a no brainer...

This rifle will let you hone your bench skills second to no others and shoulders comfortable like a well fit glove. As for punching paper, FX has won many a match. It will be a great first pcp rifle no doubt, as would any of the Wolfs...

If you search for Center Cuts win with his FX, he posted some 100meter impressive targets from that match that show what a top shooter can accomplish with an FX. 

As for tinkering, only if you want to or cause self inflicted problems. My old impact hasn't seen a wrench or screwdriver for years...

Go for 30 cal, that will help on windy days at 100+ and put down your 60lb beaver pests with humane authority. Then down the road get a barrel kit in 22 for cheap plinking, if you think its needed. Might even be able to order it with a different caliber second barrel as it comes with 2 barrels.

This also is my next rifle, FX Crown Continuum Mk11 GRS 30cal...

Screenshot_2021-03-12 CROWN MKII - FX Airguns.1615563112.png

jmo

I believe there is one poster here who prefers the 22 Redesigned for Beaver due to greater penetration vs 25 cal. 

I started to look for posts last night but couldn't find them. It would be worth searching & see if you can confirm my vague memory. 

It's possible it was for Nutria so I may just be mixing up my aquatic rodents. Either way, worth looking up what sort of power levels others are using. 

I'm not that familiar with the Daystate rifles but an electronic rifle that could be easily switched from 100 yard EBR mode to high powered aquatic rodent mode sounds like fun.

25 Huben K1 or LCS SK19. Seat the pellets consistently in their magazines with a home made tool such as a golf tee.

Huben has a nicer trigger.

Nothing beats a good accurate Semi Auto PCP in sheer fun factor.

I woulda suggested the Steyr PRO-X or Hunting5 Semiauto but no 25 caliber for beavers. The Steyrs are the most accurate Semi Auto PCPs with the nicest triggers and best quality money can buy.

I don't know about the quality part. I think the quality of my Leshiy 2 looks better than the Pro-X. I can't get past the model-car plastic chrome trigger on the Pro-X, it just doesn't reflect the rest of the guns apparent quality. The Steyr is definitely a tack-driver though!

GsT

Well, now that we know this rifle will be used 100% bench shooting, and you prefer the classic style rife, its a no brainer…

This rifle will let you hone your bench skills second to no others and shoulders comfortable like a well fit glove. As for punching paper, FX has won many a match. It will be a great first pcp rifle no doubt, as would any of the Wolfs…

If you search for Center Cuts win with his FX, he posted some 100meter impressive targets from that match that show what a top shooter can accomplish with an FX. 

As for tinkering, only if you want to or cause self inflicted problems. My old impact hasn't seen a wrench or screwdriver for years…

Go for 30 cal, that will help on windy days at 100+ and put down your 60lb beaver pests with humane authority. Then down the road get a barrel kit in 22 for cheap plinking, if you think its needed. Might even be able to order it with a different caliber second barrel as it comes with 2 barrels.

This also is my next rifle, FX Crown Continuum Mk11 GRS 30cal…

Screenshot_2021-03-12 CROWN MKII - FX Airguns.1615563112.png

jmo

That Crown in GRS stock is so sexy...but I don't need another FX gun I was thinking and wanted Daystate this time...Dam it!!!

B

OP, have you considered the American Air Arms (AAA) Evol in .30 or .22? With all this talk, I'm thinking you're gonna need 2 guns lol.

@ B, on another note, that GRS stock would look at home on a Daystate Revere. 

I did look briefly at AAA. I don't know much about them, and I was scared off because it seems like it'd be hard to get one (limited production). And yes, I'm thinking at least 2 guns too. So first rifle is for long range target. I'll have to look into AAA further. Thanks.

I'm thinking an unregulated/vanilla Airforce Condor or Texan for the occasional beaver would be fine (much cheaper, plenty of power, and I won't need it very often, so no sense in spending $$$ for top tier for this use case).

OP, have you considered the American Air Arms (AAA) Evol in .30 or .22? With all this talk, I'm thinking you're gonna need 2 guns lol.

@ B, on another note, that GRS stock would look at home on a Daystate Revere. 

I did look briefly at AAA. I don't know much about them, and I was scared off because it seems like it'd be hard to get one (limited production). And yes, I'm thinking at least 2 guns too. So first rifle is for long range target. I'll have to look into AAA further. Thanks.

I'm thinking an unregulated/vanilla Airforce Condor or Texan for the occasional beaver would be fine (much cheaper, plenty of power, and I won't need it very often, so no sense in spending $$$ for top tier for this use case).

AoA is a dealer for AAA now. They regularly have the Evols' in stock. I just checked AoA's site and they're all in stock except for the .22 HPS. I just got my Evol 30 about a month ago from AoA and I didn't have to wait. I totally understand about the cost of pellets especially in .30cal. It can get expensive fast especially if you have something like the Leshiy 2.

20210227_093959.1615604291.jpg

I'm gravitating toward .22 for rifle #1. IF I go with AAA for the first rifle, it would be the .22 HP. I do not see an HPS (High Power Slug, according to AoA) mentioned on AAA's website. But I do see the .22 HP in AAA's EVOL chart. I'm not certain if the HP and AoA's HPS are the same.

I had a few questions that I emailed to AAA. Still no response. But today is only the start of the 3rd business day.

Does anyone have any experience needing customer support from AAA? How was your experience?

You've all given more to think about for sure.

Ability to change calibers easily is probably a requirement (that I didn't realize at first).

.25 and up can get expensive (for daily use).

So lighter .22 for daily, shorter range use. Heavier .22 for long range. And .25 for long range and beavers.

I'm not sure if I want to deal with all the fiddling that an Impact demands (or at least that's the impression I have, after seeing all the threads over the last couple years). Kind of why I have been leaning away from FX altogether. In the very beginning of my research (a couple years ago), an Impact was at the top of my list.

Yeah, that's why I suggested the Dreamline. Plus a barrel change is super easy on this gun also. going from .22 to .25 takes 5 minutes and I think the barrel kits are 75-100 bucks. You also have the superior liners which are good for both pellets and slugs if you ever want to switch that around. But the Impact does have the larger magazines, but yeah you are gonna be tinkering (the plus side is you wont need another gun for any other purposes haha) The Dreamline doesn't have that much tinkering, just get that good tune, and you're solid. or again the Crown, not as much tinkering (just not that AR platform its like the redwolf)... and the tinkering is just a power wheel I think. 

Good luck! and let us know your decision!

Just following up, per @TeOh1776 's request.....

Ended up with an Avenger with wood stock in .22 as my first PCP. 99% going with a Crown Continuum as a second rifle, as funds become available.

Thanks to all that contributed.

You've all given more to think about for sure.

Ability to change calibers easily is probably a requirement (that I didn't realize at first).

.25 and up can get expensive (for daily use).

So lighter .22 for daily, shorter range use. Heavier .22 for long range. And .25 for long range and beavers.

I'm not sure if I want to deal with all the fiddling that an Impact demands (or at least that's the impression I have, after seeing all the threads over the last couple years). Kind of why I have been leaning away from FX altogether. In the very beginning of my research (a couple years ago), an Impact was at the top of my list.

Yeah, that's why I suggested the Dreamline. Plus a barrel change is super easy on this gun also. going from .22 to .25 takes 5 minutes and I think the barrel kits are 75-100 bucks. You also have the superior liners which are good for both pellets and slugs if you ever want to switch that around. But the Impact does have the larger magazines, but yeah you are gonna be tinkering (the plus side is you wont need another gun for any other purposes haha) The Dreamline doesn't have that much tinkering, just get that good tune, and you're solid. or again the Crown, not as much tinkering (just not that AR platform its like the redwolf)... and the tinkering is just a power wheel I think. 

Good luck! and let us know your decision!

Just following up, per @TeOh1776 's request.....

Ended up with an Avenger with wood stock in .22 as my first PCP. 99% going with a Crown Continuum as a second rifle, as funds become available.

Thanks to all that contributed.

Good decision and good luck.

B