• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Another "what should I get for my first PCP?" thread

Finances are finally coming together. I have a plan for air. I know I love to shoot, and have on site access to do so. Been shooting a springer, but I want to reach out further, with superior accuracy and precision.

Primary use would be paper targets, but with the occasional pests (squirels, and beavers)....so 50FPE minimum (for the beaver, I think). Looking to shoot 50 - 100 yards with the best precision and accuracy I can get (so I can work on me and my technique, with goals of reaching out beyond 150 yards....maybe some day). For now, all targets will be shot from a bench....but no plans to compete.

The problem is, I can't figure out which rifle would be best for me. I started my research about a year ago. Looked at HM1000x, Red Wolf HP, and recently the Delta Wolf. From what I think I understand, I don't believe the HM will shoot .22 RD's fast enough without modifications (adding a plenum)....so leaning toward a red wolf with heliboard (if the boards are even still available), or the delta wolf (once they become available to mere mortals). And I'm still undecided between .22 and .25. .22 RD's can be shot faster, but .25 heavies are better BC.

Are there cheaper options available, that will shoot just as good (or very close to just as good) as the above mentioned?

I know....get a marauder, or a gauntlet as my first....but I don't want to spend money on something that will eventually end up collecting dust. I'm not really looking to tinker endlessly to get it to be something better either. Some tinkering is ok, and fun....but not every time I decide to shoot. Buy once, cry once philosophy (I guess).

All suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

Well, seems you have been thinking this thru for a while now and have a pretty good handle on it. Any of the wolfs would do fine and are exceptionally fine Air Rifles for sure, using cutting edge technology.

For all you're trying to do with this 1 rifle, might want to consider the FX impact platform that allows you to change calibers and ammo type easily for target shooting with smaller calibers and hunting/pesting your beavers with larger calibers/slugs. Just another option you didn't mention...

jmo

Andddd to be honest if your going to be shooting beavers probably gonna want to start with a .25 Caliber (that will probably last you the longest as you advance) I dont own any Daystate ( I have shot a redwolf .25 or .22 , it was some guys at the range in north Phx) I have the FX Impact and a Crossman (just a pump rifle for fun) but I hunt in the desert and shoot these small pigs (like a foot tall, but quick and run in packs) I'm sure the fur is tough on a beaver, and at a distance the .25 packs a punch

i know i know, you want everything for 50 bucks lol ... first pcp, i would recommend a marauder pistol and a benji handpump, i think everyone should own a marauder P its just 'that good' for what it is.. go from there ..a hunting rig will be vastly different from a bench setup 'in my own opinion' ... you want both, then get both doesnt have to be all at once .. and you'll likely grow into some support equipment like a bottle and pump ..

Thanks all for the suggestions.

For further refinement....

I will not be hand pumping. I have a source for high pressure nitrogen.

I will not be woods walking. The beaver are invasive on my property....and will be shot from a bench.

Hunting is a very distant secondary use. Training for 100 yard EBR with no intention of ever competing against anyone but myself is the primary use.

The RAW HMx LRT .22 out of the box is tuned to shoot the Monster Redesigned @ 950fps....can easily be adjusted to shoot them hotter with the HS adjuster and or regulator. I detuned mine to shoot the 18gr @ 950fps as the Redesigned are not cost effective for me to shoot daily with. You can definitely get more horse power from a Red Wolf with heli board.

Have you considered the Dream line tactical? I was just talking about them earlier today. Its a great starter gun, the tuning is as much tinkering as an Impact or the Maverick (or DW in this case) You can start with that learn about the PCP's and tuning an air rifle, still hit well at 75 even 100 yards, the cool thing about the dream is with some accessories you can later even switch it to the classic traditional hunting rifle. But with .25 caliber you should be fine taking down a beaver. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HeibH_oXYCM

Heres a video of one of the YouTubers achieving 850-900 FPS on a dream too. 

I was trying to compare the Redwolf but That's the classic style if you're going to go with the classic hunter-style its not a bad rifle, I think the .25 gets at least 50FPE, the Crown MK II came out too and that's a beauty getting 65 FPE in the .25 caliber. 

https://fxairguns.com/rifles/the-crown/

the Mk 2 VP Crown at .22 also can shoot at 55 FPE

https://sites.google.com/site/valleypocketgophers/home/hunting/impact-energy-hunting-requirements-for-various-animals

Im pretty sure 45 FPE is strong enough to kill, a kill shot is probably around 850 FPS

Have you considered a .30 caliber?

I own a Delta Wolf, Red Wolf, Pulsar, impact and few others. I love shooting them all but I would suggest the impact in .25 caliber and the large capacity magazine. I must add I haven’t had the Delta Wolf but a couple weeks and I’m impressed with everything except the moderator issues that they have. Knowing what I know of all these rifles if I could only have one it would have to be hands down the Impact. It’s not as expensive has larger magazines there are many places to get help with issues ( you tube) and such. Seems like a endless knowledge base out there. I’m not knocking any of the Daystate rifles out there but if I could only have one .

I own a Delta Wolf, Red Wolf, Pulsar, impact and few others. I love shooting them all but I would suggest the impact in .25 caliber and the large capacity magazine. I must add I haven’t had the Delta Wolf but a couple weeks and I’m impressed with everything except the moderator issues that they have. Knowing what I know of all these rifles if I could only have one it would have to be hands down the Impact. It’s not as expensive has larger magazines there are many places to get help with issues ( you tube) and such. Seems like a endless knowledge base out there. I’m not knocking any of the Daystate rifles out there but if I could only have one .

I 100% agree... IF you want to just get the best for basically any situation the .25 Impact is by far the best choice hands down. The best part is you can get other barrel kits. For instance, I have a .25 and .30 for my Impact. such an amazing gun. I think its 70FPE give or take for the .25 caliber.. So way more than you were originally looking for

What moderator issues? I did try googling.

You've all given more to think about for sure.

Ability to change calibers easily is probably a requirement (that I didn't realize at first).

.25 and up can get expensive (for daily use).

So lighter .22 for daily, shorter range use. Heavier .22 for long range. And .25 for long range and beavers.

I'm not sure if I want to deal with all the fiddling that an Impact demands (or at least that's the impression I have, after seeing all the threads over the last couple years). Kind of why I have been leaning away from FX altogether. In the very beginning of my research (a couple years ago), an Impact was at the top of my list.

You've all given more to think about for sure.

Ability to change calibers easily is probably a requirement (that I didn't realize at first).

.25 and up can get expensive (for daily use).

So lighter .22 for daily, shorter range use. Heavier .22 for long range. And .25 for long range and beavers.

I'm not sure if I want to deal with all the fiddling that an Impact demands (or at least that's the impression I have, after seeing all the threads over the last couple years). Kind of why I have been leaning away from FX altogether. In the very beginning of my research (a couple years ago), an Impact was at the top of my list.

Yeah, that's why I suggested the Dreamline. Plus a barrel change is super easy on this gun also. going from .22 to .25 takes 5 minutes and I think the barrel kits are 75-100 bucks. You also have the superior liners which are good for both pellets and slugs if you ever want to switch that around. But the Impact does have the larger magazines, but yeah you are gonna be tinkering (the plus side is you wont need another gun for any other purposes haha) The Dreamline doesn't have that much tinkering, just get that good tune, and you're solid. or again the Crown, not as much tinkering (just not that AR platform its like the redwolf)... and the tinkering is just a power wheel I think. 

Good luck! and let us know your decision!

Barrel kits are $300 for dreamline, and $400 for impact/crown.

A fx crown will shoot lights out on a bench. And the new GRS stock for them is perfectly suited for just that. Very hefty.

If you got the dough for the delta wolf, I'd probably give it a go. I think the valving in it should make it a serious powerhouse. But I do sincerely believe the GRS Crown would out-shoot it when properly dialed in.

I have several guns. One being a 1st gen fx crown. It shoots 30gr slugs at 65fpe in .22 cal. 700mm barrel. I have it dialed back to 50fpe with a much shorter 500mm barrel, and 21gr slugs. The newer Crowns are easier to make more power with than mine....

There is something to be said as well for the normal stock profile.... The under side of the butt is VERY sandbag friendly. It's very easy to make adjustments in elevation with the taper... Where the GRS doesn't look like it'd be much fun to make rear adjustments with on a bag. And I don't see a monopod back there either.

25 Huben K1 or LCS SK19. Seat the pellets consistently in their magazines with a home made tool such as a golf tee.

Huben has a nicer trigger.

Nothing beats a good accurate Semi Auto PCP in sheer fun factor.

I woulda suggested the Steyr PRO-X or Hunting5 Semiauto but no 25 caliber for beavers. The Steyrs are the most accurate Semi Auto PCPs with the nicest triggers and best quality money can buy.