Another trash panda down, big one this time!

Been trying to get a shot off on this guy for about a week now. Finally got the opportunity last night and took care of business. First time I've needed to send a follow up shot in awhile.

Distance was about 40yds, used my 25 caliber Maverick shooting FX 34gr at 915fps. First shot was to the head, basically right between the eyes. That anchored it as it went into the usual death dance with no movement from the front legs. I assumed it was a done deal. About a minute later I looked through the scope and noticed it was still breathing, so I immediately sent another to the top of its head. That flipped the switch for good.

I'm mad at myself for not staying on the scope the entire time to confirm the kill. I hate the pests I take out, but I don't want them to suffer. I practice a ton and take my time with my shots, always being patient for the right shot opportunity. I won't make that mistake again.

20230722_073853.jpg

20230722_073839.jpg

Excellent shooting on that BIG bandit! That's the biggest I've ever seen! Nice pics. When you place a .25 slug between the peepers, one doesn't expect the pest to suffer.....just a very tough bandit, nice follow up!

Thank you for the kind words. I wasn't using slugs, just the standard diabolo style 34gr FX pellets. Most of my pesting at home is done inside of 60 yards, so pellets get the job done just fine.

Last year I spent a bunch of both time and money on testing a ton of different slugs, ultimately coming to the conclusion that for my needs pellets get the job done. FX 34gr and FX Atomic 26.6gr are my two go-to's in 25 caliber. Bonus that pellets are also much cheaper.

Reactions: ShadyBrady
Congratulations! Good shot and a big raccoon! I hit a little one (under 8 lbs) between the eyes with a 21 grain 22 caliber H&N Baracuda Match going over 800 fps and it had a similar reaction. It went down at impact but it's mouth was still working and I put another pellet into it's neck. Blood pumped out about 4 times then it was still. I'm wondering if between the eyes on a raccoon goes pretty much under the brain into the neck. Probably depends on the angle you shoot at, I was well above. I would have rather shot it between the eye and ear from the side but I took the shot I had.

Congratulations! Good shot and a big raccoon! I hit a little one (under 8 lbs) between the eyes with a 21 grain 22 caliber H&N Baracuda Match going over 800 fps and it had a similar reaction. It went down at impact but it's mouth was still working and I put another pellet into it's neck. Blood pumped out about 4 times then it was still. I'm wondering if between the eyes on a raccoon goes pretty much under the brain into the neck. Probably depends on the angle you shoot at, I was well above. I would have rather shot it between the eye and ear from the side but I took the shot I had.
Funny you say that as I was also trying to wait for a broadside head shot to present itself. I've only been "hunting" racoons for about a year, yet I've taken out well over a dozen. Just this summer alone I've eliminated 8 of those bandits.

A broadside headshot between the eye and ear is without question the ideal shot placement IME, but a full frontal shot right between the eyes about 1" high also works well. Racoon skulls are super thick in the front, much thicker than the side profile shot. I've never once needed a follow up shot after a broadside headshot, but I've had a couple need them when shot from the front. Obviously it could very well be my own fault, potentially missing my aim point by an inch or more, but I try to always take my time.

I didn't start targeting racoons until I got my FX Maverick, which had all the power and accuracy needed to do a proper job.

I just saw a couple smaller bandits roll through last night so I'm guessing that big boy won't be the last one I put down this summer.