• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Another potential pellet gun shooting!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Meh. The UK has its own problems. You are making more of the argument to restrict AG by starting a new chicken little thread every time something happens anywhere in the wide world. An easy internet search will turn up everyone of these threads that will show how the AG community knew about the dangers of AG shootings and worried about restrictions. Don't make the argument for them! 

Meh. The UK has its own problems. You are making more of the argument to restrict AG by starting a new chicken little thread every time something happens anywhere in the wide world. An easy internet search will turn up everyone of these threads that will show how the AG community knew about the dangers of AG shootings and worried about restrictions. Don't make the argument for them!

It is a valid concern. Whether it will escalate is uncertain.

I was one of these concerned chicken little myself. But now , the control freaks can piss off. If they say a PB is same as an Airgun then I will give one of them a 22 PCP and I will take a 22 cal LR and we could try to hit each other. I seriously doubt after they would consider them the same. Jokingly of course for any reading anti gun snowflake. 

I get your point, but should we ignore the problem because it might become regulated or should we look at it in a better way like talking about preventing the situations by a better knowledge and teaching the new users. Yes it isn't a firearm but it is still dangerous, every new user could be coached by the parent family member or sales person on the pleasure but also the risk of an airgun. Or we can just hide and wait for the poop storm to come.

JM2C

This debate will never end. Air guns are on the periphery but they will be part of it especially as they become more powerful and popular.

As an aside I was at the Harrisburg Pa Sports and Out Doors show yesterday which claims to be the largest show of its type held in the country and there was NO air gun representation there at all other then a NRA supported range set up for people to shoot a PCP gun. This was appreciated but no representation by dealers or manufacturers. Seems like a missed opportunity 

The UK has already seriously restricted the Airgun to very low power and tight control. They ALREADY have laws and restrictions in place. The UK has pellet gun shootings reported about once a month. This goes to show that you cannot control PERSONAL behavior - no matter how many restrictions you put on THINGS.

The full auto PCP is in the same boat. I don't give a rats whisker about full auto PCP - I already shoot full auto powder burners. Different tools for different jobs. These will be a flash in the pan. I bet the people who buy one will not buy multiple Full Auto PCP. An insignificant part of the market. 

As an aside I was at the Harrisburg Pa Sports and Out Doors show yesterday which claims to be the largest show of its type held in the country and there was NO air gun representation there at all other then a NRA supported range set up for people to shoot a PCP gun. This was appreciated but no representation by dealers or manufacturers. Seems like a missed opportunity

You are right, it was definitely a missed opportunity. It seems that airgun manufacturers want to go to Shot Show for the publicity, but the real buying public doesn't get to go there because it is a trade show for manufacturer and volume buyers only. The real buyers and people who would show a (future) interest in airgun hunting and shooting are going to be attending the outdoor expo shows (with family and friends). There is way more exposure to the public at these events.

I don't think these things should be brought up in the forums. It just gives those who Google more negative stuff to find.

Exactly.

Because violating everyone's First Amendment rights goes so far towards protecting everyone's Second Amendment rights, right...

There is a flawed piece of logic if I ever saw one. Let's just BAN SOME SPEECH so we can keep what we have because that has worked out so well in the past.

Puts me in mind of the idiotic debate on another forum where the term silencer is "never named" like Voldomort, "if we don't say it, people won't think about it". That is just so childish on every level. It belongs in a Harry Potter story. Let's call it a Lead Dust Catcher instead because that is so much easier to stomach. If you don't have the courage to call a thing what it is, how can you ever expect to be allowed to keep it?

It is kind of like LYING. You know the truth. You deny the truth. Eventually the truth goes away and the lie becomes the truth. Unfortunately there is the law of unintended consequences and one thing never fails. If you deny the truth it will bite you on the back side eventually.

Spook, you (and papy_yosh and most others) have the right to say what you want. Doesn't mean that it will be welcomed, appreciated, free from ramification.7 billion other people have the same right as you to express their views in a venue like this, if the forum owner (in this case) permits it. Freedom of speech is NOT freedom of responsibility.

And yes, I think even my post goes beyond anything that should be allowed here. 

Spook, you (and papy_yosh and most others) have the right to say what you want. Doesn't mean that it will be welcomed, appreciated, free from ramification.7 billion other people have the same right as you to express their views in a venue like this, if the forum owner (in this case) permits it. Freedom of speech is NOT freedom of responsibility.

We all have the right to express ourselves to the extent that the forum in which we express it permits it. In the case of forums on teh Interwebz, the owners have certain standards which they establish based upon their customer base and the income that advertising will generate. That is understandable BECAUSE all forums on teh Interwebz are FIRST and FOREMOST BUSINESS propositions. Don't make the mistake of forgetting that if you decide to hand your rights over to someone else.

That said, it is not irresponsible to discuss the truth, in ANY forum. It is, however; very irresponsible to suppress it for convenience sake. In the case of nations we suppress speech at our own peril, you may disagree with that. That is your right as it is mine to disagree with you. However, I am not within my rights trying to suppress your speech, kindly allow me the same courtesy.

I have no clue what you are talking about when you say you think your post goes beyond anything that should be allowed here?

My objection is from the sensationalized postings. The bad actor is the problem, not the tool used. This whole forum is dedicated to "Airgun shooting".... Context matters.

I won't get into my feeling about the media. This is a family friendly forum.

Absolutely and discussing such things should bring out precisely that truth. The problem is the user not the tool. Saying hammers are evil because they kill people is just about as untruthful as one can get. So the next time someone is talking about a hammer murder we will also have the opportunity to make the point that the problem is the person, not the tool. 😁 We don't get that opportunity if we disallow the discussion in the first place. We are all on the same team here, just have different approaches, and every approach has a some good points and some not so good points.

....7 billion other people have the same right as you to express their views in a venue like this, if the forum owner (in this case) permits it. Freedom of speech is NOT freedom of responsibility....

You must not spend much time overseas. There are only a handful of countries that have freedom of speech anywhere close to what we have here in the USA, and many countries have essentially no freedom of speech. And as far as this website and websites like it, many countries would not even "permit" their people to access it.

Just sayin'.

God bless America!

We all have the right to express ourselves to the extent that the forum in which we express it permits it. In the case of forums on teh Interwebz, the owners have certain standards which they establish based upon their customer base and the income that advertising will generate. That is understandable BECAUSE all forums on teh Interwebz are FIRST and FOREMOST BUSINESS propositions. Don't make the mistake of forgetting that if you decide to hand your rights over to someone else.

That said, it is not irresponsible to discuss the truth, in ANY forum. It is, however; very irresponsible to suppress it for convenience sake. In the case of nations we suppress speech at our own peril, you may disagree with that. That is your right as it is mine to disagree with you. However, I am not within my rights trying to suppress your speech, kindly allow me the same courtesy.

I have no clue what you are talking about when you say you think your post goes beyond anything that should be allowed here?

You response has little to do with my point. It has nothing to with a commercial enterprise, it's about the reality of 'freedom of speech' within any limitation our host allows. Words have ramifications regardless of the person rights. It's that simple. 

I'm done with this topic. PM me your phone number if you want to flesh out my views. 

Status
Not open for further replies.