Another pester's lament

The A/C men came today really early, so I didn't get a chance to stalk any pests early. However, about 8am or so, I stepped out the back door and a chipper jumped off of my back porch just a couple of feet from me and ran around the corner of my house towards my wood pile.

So, as usual, I set up behind the garbage can and waited... and waited, one cigar, two cigars... nothing. About 2.5 to 3 hours. NOTHING!

Oh well... at least I didn't take a shot and miss. (chuckle)

chipper path.1634004260.jpg

I tried to use Paint to show the path of the chipper, but I am not really versed at it as you can see.

Looking at your set up, you need something to breakup your silhouette. Chip🐿 and Dale 🐿 are wary little bastages. You need a wider platform so that you can prop up something left and right of that pillow. So to cover any movement on your part. Bring that second garbage can over, they the🐿🐿🐿🐿 will only become warier or scarcer as you eliminate them. They also might just migrate to a part of your yard where you can't shoot them. Smart, evil, chirping Devils.

Watch the top of the wood pile. His look out spot will be the place he will set the longest. Depending on the weather. time of day. and human activity in the area . The setting still could be a 30 seconds could be 5 min or more . Any where else it's a better bet it will be moving quite a bit more then sitting still. The only thing that moves more the an on the move chipper is the little red ( Piney) squirrel .

Looking at your set up, you need something to breakup your silhouette. Chip
1f43f.svg
and Dale
1f43f.svg
are wary little bastages. You need a wider platform so that you can prop up something left and right of that pillow. So to cover any movement on your part. Bring that second garbage can over, they the
1f43f.svg
1f43f.svg
1f43f.svg
1f43f.svg
will only become warier or scarcer as you eliminate them. They also might just migrate to a part of your yard where you can't shoot them. Smart, evil, chirping Devils.

While I appreciate your suggestions, this set up works well. This chipper simply fled through the hole in the privacy fence behind the wood pile. That is really the ONLY reason why I still have the wood pile (I don't have a fire place, etc). The wood pile was left by the previous owners who apparently had a portable fireplace for outdoors. If I remove the wood pile, I will have to replace the fencing behind it! (grin)

When they do come out of the wood pile, I can actually move quite a bit without making them startle at all. It is only when I FIRST come out the back door that they run and hide. Many times, if they are already at the wood pile, I can go back inside and bring out my gun and cushion/Styrofoam "rest", move the garbage can and still make the shot with the chipper sitting still.

Anyway, I think you have seen my chipper posts, so you know I am not having a problem with this set up. (smile)

Watch the top of the wood pile. His look out spot will be the place he will set the longest. Depending on the weather. time of day. and human activity in the area . The setting still could be a 30 seconds could be 5 min or more . Any where else it's a better bet it will be moving quite a bit more then sitting still. The only thing that moves more the an on the move chipper is the little red ( Piney) squirrel .

Actually, I rarely get a shot at them on the top of the wood pile. Most of the time (95%) my shots come from the bottom of the wood pile where they have many triangular holes to jump into for safety. I did recently get one on the top of the wood pile, but that is relatively rare.

Once I set up behind the garbage can (after first spotting a chipper) I am VERY still for the first 30 or so minutes, if it takes that long. After that, it really doesn't seem to matter that much. If they haven't come out where I can get a shot in that amount of time, then chances are they went through the hole in the privacy fence and are long gone. I do stay as long as several hours at times, because they do come back sometimes.

60 so far this season and the opportunities are picking up daily.

I am very patient. (smile)

@backstop, you are correct sir. I've read your prior chipmunk threads. It was the two stogie, 2.5-3 hour nap,
1f600.svg
I mean wait that prompted me. Some of my best naps have come while pesting. The waiting can make one sleepy.

Hahahaha! Got ya!

Actually, those 2 stogies were a couple of the el cheapos I bought before I knew what I liked. Not bad, but I didn't nap! You have to stay awake to keep them burning! LOL!

p.s. You have to puff on the good ones from time to time to keep them burning also.