• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

Another pellet sorting thread

I have been weight sorting my .25 JSB 33.95gr pellets but I am still getting the occasional flyer so I ordered a pellet gauge to start head sorting too. I am wondering if I can group some pellets with different weights together that all have the same head size? Right now I am sorting by tenths of a grain so I am wondering if I can group at least 2 tenths or even 3 tenth’s together?

Lowest weight pellets in my tins so far are 33.6gr and highest have been 34.7gr. I am not sure how much of an extreme spread I will see on the chrono between the lowest and highest but it seems to be barely negligible only a few tenths of a grain apart, at least in my minimal testing.

My thoughts on it are it's kinda like reloading pb where do you stop. Lol
yes you can : weigh , head size, skirt size , roll test to the same point . and still fliers are present but to a less degree . is it worth it ? YES for competition use only in my book not for practice .

This batch of MRD's is garbage ..if you weigh it and size...still have weighed, sorted garbage. I have weighed them..sized them...and they still had flyers.
There is a new release in a week or 2. New die MRD's in a shllow and deep skirt design. I would wait til then to go to all the effort of weighing out your pellets.
Mike

I've sorted by head size and weighed pellets for years, and I have found that in .177, .20, and .22 calibers it is the head size that is most important for small consistent group size with very few fliers. I've found in my testing that weighing in addition to sorting by head size didn't produce any noticeable effect on group size. Above .22cal pellets, I haven't noticed any difference in group size by sorting or weighing. It goes without saying that you must select pellets that don't have any damage or distortions to the head or waist, but a dented skirt doesn't always make a difference in group size, because the blast of air will expand it out to the rifling when fired.
Head size affects the fit of the pellet into the rifling of the barrel, and some barrels like different head sizes for best group sizes. If I don't sort JSB or AA or FX pellets by head size, I will see larger variations in velocity at the muzzle and additional fliers at the POI of 50 yards. When you find the best head size for your rifle, velocity spreads will shrink as will your group sizes. I don't believe that the group size result is all down to the velocity. My .177 rifle will give .220" CTC group at 50 yards with the right pellet head size, but .640" CTC with the wrong head size. As I mentioned, weight didn't make any difference for me over and above sorting for head size.
I will say that the JSB .22cal MRD's don't group so well no matter what I do, but some different brand .22cal pellets of the same weight will benefit from being sorted for head size.
...your mileage may vary.

Yeah but if you have time after the sunsets, might as well right?
Maybe I need to rearrange my priorities. After my evening bourbon, dinner, and a little reading, seems the evening is gone. Of course I could cut out the bourbon.....na, bad idea. But good luck with the pellet prep. I remember being up at 3 AM prepping brass, sorting and weighing components, and loading CF benchrest ammo. I thought it was fun at the time, but now that I've gotten a little, uh, more mature, I need my rest!

This batch of MRD's is garbage ..if you weigh it and size...still have weighed, sorted garbage. I have weighed them..sized them...and they still had flyers.
There is a new release in a week or 2. New die MRD's in a shllow and deep skirt design. I would wait til then to go to all the effort of weighing out your pellets.
Mike
Idk why but my redwolf seems to digest them pretty well the mk2 redesigns 25 gr 22 cal I'm surprised I've read quite a bit about them not being good

Idk why but my redwolf seems to digest them pretty well the mk2 redesigns 25 gr 22 cal I'm surprised I've read quite a bit about them not being good
That's Awesome...I hope you continue to have good results with the Red Wolf.
It depends on what you are using them..Hunting,plinking or benchrest.
For hunting and plinking, it do not see many having problems, But for Benchrest, these are terrible.
The fluctuation in weights from pellet to pellet is terrible..The head sizes are also in fluctuation.
Even when sorted and weighed, i have still had flyers.
Old dies that need to be replaced?? Well, fortunately, they are.
Hope you continue not having the problems i encounter
Mike

I shoot benchrest, is that what you are shooting? I’ve sorted my share of pellets by weight to the .1 of a grain or .005 gram, hours and hours, then hours and hours of texting. Then one day while testing JTS 18’s & 21.53 in my Red Wolf HP in .22 at 25 yds, I switched from 18’s to 21.53’s without making any scope adjustments or power adjustments. Shooting on low power and shot 10 & x’s with both. This could be unique to my Red Wolf don’t know anyway I no longer weight pellets. My Red Wolf like JTS pellets the best because the head size is larger. I now focus on head size for my benchrest shooting.

Reactions: Brent
After checking the head size on a couple large batches of JSB 33.95gr pellets, I am not seeing a whole lot of head size variation with the majority of the pellets being 6.37. I will shoot a few different head sizes and see which works best with my barrel.

Coming from the powder burner benchrest background we were always looking for any way to get the most accuracy. I used to rim size .22 and was told it was a complete waste of time. I have no idea if it was or not but I still did it just in case it helped even a little bit.

Reactions: beerthief