• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

another noobie wants a specific scope

shooting a hatsan gladius pcp 
i will never switch to a springer, so . . . am i ok with really ANY rifle scope i want??

i currently have Hawke IR 4-12x50 AO on it

one of the main things i HATE is the focus adjustment being on the objective housing.
looking for a little more magnification, to maybe 24x or so

BUT SPECIFICALLY WANTING A FFP RETICLE!!!

definitely need to be able to focus in as close as 10ish yards, is important,

prefer mil dot reticle, and mil dot turrets if possible
does such an animal exist for air rifles?
or, again, since i am dedicated to pop's, can i just pick any rifle scope from cabbalas, that i want?

The Athlon Argos 6-24x50 FFP Mil Dot is a great lower cost scope and focuses down to 10 yards. They are fairly new but I haven't seen a bad review.

There are a number of 4-14x44 FFP scopes that focus down to 10 as well. The Athlon Talos is one. I have the Primary Arms 4-14x44 FFP mil dot which is an excellent scopes for the price and lighter than the other FFP options (at 21oz). It's the best $230 I ever spent on a scope.

I have been trying to buy a Weaver tactical 4-20x50 FFP mil dot for a few weeks now. If you can spend a little more, this is the best glass I have been able to find on an FFP scope suitable for air guns that can be bought for $700 or less. They only go down to 25 yards but they work fine at closer range if you keep it on 6x or below. If you can't see a target at 15 yards on 6x then you probably shouldn't be shooting anyway, so I can live with a 25 yard focus.

The SWFA 3-15x42 FFP is another great scope in the $700 range and I believe it goes down to 10 meters.

There is also the Konus brand stuff but I don't know much about them except that their FFP scopes focus down to 10 yards.

so it looks like my dream scope is the optisan evx 5-20x F1 - but it doesn't seem to be available, at least no in the states.

perhaps the BIGGER QUESTION is - how important is FFp from 10-100 yards????

currently, i have a HORUS VISION Raptor, ffp, on my remington 700 in .308 winchester, 
and am shooting sub m.o.a at 600+ yards with match grade factory ammo
(great scope, but the parallax nob feels like it is encased in concrete)

anyways, my centerfire experience is what leads me to want a FFP scope for my air rifle.
is this overkill? 

i didn't state it above, but my goals are drilling one hole in paper at 100 yards,
as well as being able to easily adjust and take birds/squirrels anywhere from 10 to 100 yards, 

"jippy1"so it looks like my dream scope is the optisan evx 5-20x F1 - but it doesn't seem to be available, at least no in the states.

perhaps the BIGGER QUESTION is - how important is FFp from 10-100 yards????

currently, i have a HORUS VISION Raptor, ffp, on my remington 700 in .308 winchester, 
and am shooting sub m.o.a at 600+ yards with match grade factory ammo
(great scope, but the parallax nob feels like it is encased in concrete)

anyways, my centerfire experience is what leads me to want a FFP scope for my air rifle.
is this overkill? 

i didn't state it above, but my goals are drilling one hole in paper at 100 yards,
as well as being able to easily adjust and take birds/squirrels anywhere from 10 to 100 yards,
The importance of FFP has less to do with the distances you are shooting at and more to do with the trajectory and how you correct for it.

Air guns have very steep trajectories compared to powder burners which means that, even inside 100 yards, there will be a significant drop you need to correct for.

If you plan to use your reticle for holdovers then FFP is a huge help. I actually think it's more helpful to air gun shooters than most firearm shooters with the exception of long range marksman.

If you are a benchrest shooter with time to dial in your corrections then it's less of an issue but most people here seem to use mil dot reticles.

I managed with SFP before but now that I have gotten used to an FFP scope, I find it hard to get excited about going back to SFP. 

Just memorizing one set of corrections instead of one per power setting has made shooting so much more enjoyable. It has certainly made me more accurate because I sucked with corrections on my SFP scopes. 

"zebra"
The importance of FFP has less to do with the distances you are shooting at and more to do with the trajectory and how you correct for it.

Air guns have very steep trajectories compared to powder burners which means that, even inside 100 yards, there will be a significant drop you need to correct for.

If you plan to use your reticle for holdovers then FFP is a huge help. I actually think it's more helpful to air gun shooters than most firearm shooters with the exception of long range marksman.

If you are a benchrest shooter with time to dial in your corrections then it's less of an issue but most people here seem to use mil dot reticles.

I managed with SFP before but now that I have gotten used to an FFP scope, I find it hard to get excited about going back to SFP. 

Just memorizing one set of corrections instead of one per power setting has made shooting so much more enjoyable. It has certainly made me more accurate because I sucked with corrections on my SFP scopes.
thx zebra, that helps some
i am all about wanting to keep things simple
see if my thought process below is correct / in keeping with what you have written, and moving me towards my goals at the bottom

INdecisions., INdecisions.

so i was NEARLY sold on the optisan EVX F1, which i understand should be available stateside in about 3 weeks,
my only hesitation on the optisan is the 4.8 mil / rotation, WHY couldn't they have made it a smooth FIVE mil / rotation, that would make it a lot easier to keep track of where one is, when dialing.

then i was talking to Jeff, at MTC optics u.s., and started to become more and more interested in the SFP MTC viper pro.
i became intrigued with the customizable turret tape on the viper pro, since, (if i understand correctly) once the tape is set up, you simply dial the distance after ranging it, and hold dead on, REGARDLESS of the magnification. even simpler than holding over with FFP (and FAR simpler than holding over with calculations (to correct for magnification differences) in SFP).

when shooting from bench rest with my centerfire mentioned above, 
i do not dial, but hold over, and using strelock pro, easily move from 200 to 400 to 600 to 638 yards (at 800 yards, the earth berm backing the targets is covered with grass, and i can't see my misses, so i need a spotter at 800 yards)

anyways, my air rifle goal, alluded to above, is :
a) to be able to drill 5-10 pellets into single hole at 10 to 50 (or more) yards from a bench rest, so dialing in would seem to be good here, considering the fixed shooting distance.
and 
b) to be able to be out in the woods, and easily take small game from 10 to 100 yards, using perhaps a shooting stick or bipod, but be able to quickly be ready and on target, at whatever distance that squirrel may appear.

seems like the viper pro may be the best of both worlds.
turret tape set up in yardages
or
dial back to 10x, and be able to range using mil dots, and hold-over without calculations (to correct for magnification)

​maybe a little more work to set up at first, but less work after

"sscoyote"this one's my favorite these days, has satisfied all my optic's tests, but it has a mil line tree reticle--

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-arms-4-14x44mm-riflescope-acss-r-grid-reticle-pa4-14xffp-r-grid

wow,
i really like,
very similar to my horus vision scope,
LOVE the rangefinder, but I'm not sure where i'd find a 5'20" squirrel or ground hog to range.

like the mil line tree reticle,
are the knobs in mils or moa?

what do you think of the glass / image quality

I'll 2nd that on the PA 4-14x44. The side focus on mine is just right in stiffness. It's easy to turn when I want but doesn't move when I don't.

The only thing that is stiff is the dial for power settings but I asked PA for help and they talked me through how to make it looser. They are a great company in terms of CS and standing behind their product.

You don't get to see all the detail that you see with expensive scopes but you can see what you need to for air gun distances and you can see it better than with other scopes I have owned in that price range. 

I really like mine. At $230 and 21oz, a scope like that ticked a lot of boxes for me.