Other Another newbie question, perfect first gun?

FreemanS

Mar 27, 2024
I'm sorry if this is the incorrect forum.

I'm looking for the single first PCP Rifle both reliable and accurate for both hunting larger game and economical plinking. Is this unrealistic?

I'm a lefty tired of being assaulted by ejected shells from right handed weapons happy to discover the myriad of ambidextrous guns in PCP.

I love the small tactical platforms with short barrels.

In my quest it seems that .25 and .30 caliber are common but are they realistic for mid to larger game such as coyotes and deer or would I be afflicting the poor animal?

Is the best gun actually two guns, one for plinking and one for hunting?

All of my weapons in the past are semi auto so I've had to suppress my desire for another in PCP's since the concensus has determined they're not yet reliable.

I know my selection comes at a cost looking at Brocock, Kalibrgun, RTI, AGT, Hatsan, FX, Western, and now the seemingly non existent for the market Karma weapons to name just a few.

Am I on the right track or should I consider larger caliber and longer barrels?

Reactions: RobertNoPest

I'm looking for the single first PCP Rifle both reliable and accurate for both hunting larger game and economical plinking. Is this unrealistic?

I'm a lefty tired of being assaulted by ejected shells from right handed weapons happy to discover the myriad of ambidextrous guns in PCP.

In my quest it seems that .25 and .30 caliber are common but are they realistic for mid to larger game such as coyotes and deer or would I be afflicting the poor animal?

All of my weapons in the past are semi auto so I've had to suppress my desire for another in PCP's since the concensus has determined they're not yet reliable.

I know my selection comes at a cost looking at Brocock, Kalibrgun, RTI, AGT, Hatsan, FX, Western, and now the seemingly non existent for the market Karma weapons to name just a few.

you said it "Is the best gun actually two guns, one for plinking and one for hunting? " yes if you buy a .25 and even more so a .30 ammo is expensive especially if plinking . Example = you and a friend are plinking in the yard = 100 or 200 or 500 pellets ? look up that cost .

I like my .25 AIRMAKS Caiman X. It comes with the cocking lever on the left side (for left handers) but can be switched to the right side easily. It is accurate, powerful, and reliable. Very compact and designed to be shot and hunted from the shoulder. It is a great design.
AIRMAKS has come out with the Mk2 model with some upgrades. Mine is the original Caaiman X.

CaimanX.png

I don't have many recommendations for short guns (all mine are big long boys) but I can say if you're looking to do some plinking and target shooting AND hunt deer and coyotes, I would probably recommend 2 separate guns for this. for the bigger game hunting I would recommend something along the lines of a texan in either 457 or 510, for coyotes you can probably get away with a 357, but I would not want to be doing a ton of plinking with any of those calibers.

When you said hunting, I was thinking small game. Then you said coyotes and deer. The average and also above-average power airguns are not suitable for that.

While the cost of pellets isn't terribly high for .25 and .30 pellets, I don't think I'd aim either of those at coyote or deer. Projectile-wise that's about the middle ground and I was already concerned about spending every thirty shots refilling with air.

I think you're looking at two different guns. One much higher power (say, .357 slug) for coyote and deer with low shot count, and one in a smaller more accurate caliber that gets over 50 or 100 shots per fill for plinking.

David

Reactions: Dairyboy
Thank you all for your excellent advice. It looks like I need to budget for a big bore for hunting then and a small caliber for artificial bunnies then.

I'm in Colorado at the moment and what I've seen are the laws allow for hunting all but deer and larger game. I'll need to travel to viable states for those.
Currently my budget was set for around what a BRK ghost .25/.30 would cost, not much more without a little struggle.

Is there a minimum fpe that I should consider for ,357 and up or are there no dogs to worry about in those guns with high calibers?

Reactions: Ranchibi
I like my .25 AIRMAKS Caiman X. It comes with the cocking lever on the left side (for left handers) but can be switched to the right side easily. It is accurate, powerful, and reliable. Very compact and designed to be shot and hunted from the shoulder. It is a great design.
AIRMAKS has come out with the Mk2 model with some upgrades. Mine is the original Caaiman X.

View attachment 450526
Beautiful gun! 😍

For sure FreemanS ,you need to study more,take your time,also think about 2 different platforms and calibers.
You can try to get a PCP that you can switch barrels,thus have different cal.
The PCP that are capable of killing deer or usually single shot.
I also shoot lefty, and yes those shells sailing across my face were a pain,Ithca 37 saved me.
Where what I would do,get a good PCP for plinking and target shooting,you are going to have to $$$$ to fill it up, see how you like it,then go for the big bore PCP for Deer,or black powder,LOL.

I really would suggest looking at a Airforce condor I have one in .25/.257 and love it it's a good gun!

Reactions: Long_Gun_Dallas
I'd say 200fpe would be about the minimum for deer in general (you can get by with 100fpe for smaller deer) I'd personally be looking at getting something around 400+fpe for serious hunting of larger game. I only use powder guns for that, so I don't have anything larger than a .30 airgun.

I don’t know that I would agree that semi-autos are not reliable. I have two Edgun Leshiy’s and have had zero problems. If I was going to only own one airgun it would definitely be a semi auto. I hear nothing but good about Huben’s, but I am not sure about the non-removal magazine particularly How that would affect their cleaning. I really want to get a Western Sidewinder soon.

For what my opinion is worth I like .25 cal. They hit pretty hard for small game, squirrels, rabbits, birds. I personally don’t think .25 pellets are prohibitively expensive for plinking. Way cheaper than powder burners.

I don’t know that I would agree that semi-autos are not reliable. I have two Edgun Leshiy’s and have had zero problems. If I was going to only own one airgun it would definitely be a semi auto. I hear nothing but good about Huben’s, but I am not sure about the non-removal magazine particularly How that would affect their cleaning. I really want to get a Western Sidewinder soon.

For what my opinion is worth I like .25 cal. They hit pretty hard for small game, squirrels, rabbits, birds. I personally don’t think .25 pellets are prohibitively expensive for plinking. Way cheaper than powder burners

For sure FreemanS ,you need to study more,take your time,also think about 2 different platforms and calibers.
You can try to get a PCP that you can switch barrels,thus have different cal.
The PCP that are capable of killing deer or usually single shot.
I also shoot lefty, and yes those shells sailing across my face were a pain,Ithca 37 saved me.
Where what I would do,get a good PCP for plinking and target shooting,you are going to have to $$$$ to fill it up, see how you like it,then go for the big bore PCP for Deer,or black powder,LOL.
I agree. It seems that the more I learn the more I need to learn. I'm now thinking I'm going to concentrate on a single gun to either plink and scare small critters or go bigger game with very little plinking. I'm leaning towards a gun to scare the little varmints until I know for sure. Plenty of prairie dogs around here that will move away once they see my shooting abilities on targets. :)

For what my opinion is worth I like .25 cal. They hit pretty hard for small game, squirrels, rabbits, birds. I personally don’t think .25 pellets are prohibitively expensive for plinking. Way cheaper than powder burners.
No magazine issues? I was considering a Leishy initially but got scared off when I read somewhere that someone had to send their semi auto in for repair when it jammed. Might be another manufacturer though, I've read a lot of anecdotal reports.

If I were you, I would wait the 1-3 months when the RTI .357 Mora is available as that has the big power, accuracy, unique adjustable pressure for the hammer, and other features that others in that caliber do not provide and it will do 1" MOA at 100 yards with a 115-125 grain slug.

No magazine issues? I was considering a Leishy initially but got scared off when I read somewhere that someone had to send their semi auto in for repair when it jammed. Might be another manufacturer though, I've read a lot of anecdotal reports.
If I were a newbie, I would get the Mora .357 rifle and for a lower caliber I would get the Huben GK1 pistol and that is so much fun to shoot pellets in semi-auto and you can convert it in seconds to a mini carbine with Huben3dparts.com accessories. That pistol will double as most of your lower caliber rifle use as an all in one pistol/min-carbine with semi-auto fun. I have shot about 3000 rounds thus far with most rapid fire hitting bullseyes every time without a jam.

Reactions: Long_Gun_Dallas
I have not had any issues. I haven’t done any tuning at all. It shot well out of the box and I just left it like it was and shoot away. I don’t know if messing with them (tuning) increases the likelihood of problems. Make sure to watch the classifieds good guns at decent prices show up now and then and maybe that would be determinate on what you decide to get.

Check the Brk ghost in 25-30 cal great gun. Pathfinder , ghost or Daystate revere in 177-22 for plinkers rabbit or squirrel. I have and love them all fir what they are and can do!
The ghost is on the top of my list but I was hoping it would be a good hunter for coyote and possibly deer in .30 as a single do everything gun. I'm still considering it if I stick to smaller critters. Unfortunately it's at the peak of my affordability. If it were a semi auto though I'd let all the big critters alone because it seems to be a top performer with quality, ect. ....edit.. because it seems to have all my wants except the hunt.