Other Another newbie question, perfect first gun?

Same here. I prefer these two over the FX Maverick Compact 177 I had. I literally had to put the BullShark together, replace missing screws, and adjust the regulator. But it was still less frustrating than my Mav. And as a disclaimer I bought the Bullshark in pieces as someone else’s failure.
Snowpeak P35 25 cal
Stoeger XM1 Bullshark 177
Wow! At less than $500 and .25 with center action I really like it. Any idea what its distance limit is? I'm planning to shot at or below 100yds so it shouldn't matter. I just about decided to buy either a cricket 2 or used Epoch today but to be honest I've never had such a hard time making a decision in my life because of all the choices I have. I never thought it was possible thinking accuracy would be the main issue. Is the p35 easy to work on if I have problems? I've researched skout and Kalibr looking like I might be able to fix my mistakes with them.

Wow! At less than $500 and .25 with center action I really like it. Any idea what its distance limit is? I'm planning to shot at or below 100yds so it shouldn't matter. I just about decided to buy either a cricket 2 or used Epoch today but to be honest I've never had such a hard time making a decision in my life because of all the choices I have. I never thought it was possible thinking accuracy would be the main issue. Is the p35 easy to work on if I have problems? I've researched skout and Kalibr looking like I might be able to fix my mistakes with them.
I owned a Cricket Tactical II 60 25 cal prior to the P35. If going 25 cal I’d go with the bullshark, the extra barrel length will help. My P35 25 cal stock only gets around 35-37 FPE. That fine for my application, I sold the Cricket because it’s 60 fpe was just too much for me.
In my P35 I have only had to clean up an o ring near the fill port, I think it just had some dirt on it.

I have done nearly a complete tear down and reassembly on the Bullshark I bought. Same rifle just a different stock and longer barrel. The only tricky part I encountered was a little 1.5mm E clip that has to be removed to take apart the trigger linkage. If my 43 year old eyes were still what they were 5 years ago it would have been a breeze. My CMP M853 was more trouble to reassemble. I bought the bullshark in pieces from someone with a heavy hand that didn’t take time to understand it. Snowpeak has a great diagram on how it goes together.

I spent big money and realized I didn’t need all that rifle for what I do. I shoot my sub $1000 dollar rifles more than the ones I paid over that for. I’m not shooting competition, so I don’t need that. To each his own, I don’t judge people if they want a top shelf rifle. I pest and plink in my back yard mostly now. If my pest or plinking rifle gets a scratch, I don’t care, it’s a tool. I have two rifles I baby, the others get used.

Edit. And I will take my Carm magazines for the P35 over the Cricket magazine system every day of the week.

Last edited:
We do pest control. Our Brocock, Kalibrgun, and FX rifles are our favorites. Would recommend against Edgun products, for several reasons.
Since “we” do pest control, it might provide valuable insight to many as to why you recommend against Edgun product for what you do? Have to agree that the BRK Brococks are pesting machines…🙏

The Airmaks Katran is around $1000 and the reviews are very good, do not need to do a lot of tinkering from what I
Any idea what the fps / fpe is in .25? I think I heard in one video they mentioned 80j but wasn't sure. Nice rifle, Haven't seen anything about adjustments but it's not an issue for me if it's not pellet fussy like I've heard some rifles are. I think I'd be comfortable with it.

When I first started looking I was about to buy an Edgun because it has everything I wanted but after reading some of the issues a few had I rethought my decision on it. I need the reliability since I can't do surgery on them besides barrel changes.
I have a wide open expanse to shoot from so I would like the high fpe's for mostly the hunt side of the sport. Prairie dogs are invasive but coyotes are thick around here too so outside of buying a big bore for deer from many I understand ~100 fpe at close range will work for the coyotes.

When I first started looking I was about to buy an Edgun because it has everything I wanted but after reading some of the issues a few had I rethought my decision on it. I need the reliability since I can't do surgery on them besides barrel changes.
I have a wide open expanse to shoot from so I would like the high fpe's for mostly the hunt side of the sport. Prairie dogs are invasive but coyotes are thick around here too so outside of buying a big bore for deer from many I understand ~100 fpe at close range will work for the coyotes.
I have tried to communicate with Edgun and they never responded.

I have tried to communicate with Edgun and they never responded.
This alone is enough to prevent my purchasing their products. How a company treats their customer is very important to me. I've seen your comments about skout indicating their accessibility as well as some other sources so I've seriously reconsidered their rifle for my first. It's expensive and complicated but their access means a lot to me.

Oh if I could justify it, I would have an AAA. But my stuff fits my needs.

IMG_3711.jpeg

Reactions: Hapo
Freeman, I doubt you would be disappointed in the power in a 25 caliber Katran but it will depend in part on which one you get. They offer as short as a 230mm barrel but it looks like you have to go up to the 280mm to get it in 25. I would not get that model looking for power. I was looking at the 400mm barrel and I think it should easily make 50 fpe. There is a longer barrel too that should do even better. I am estimating based upon my Caiman. It's reg is set at 100 bar and I am getting low 30s fpe in a 22. The Caiman barrel is 520mm long, however. Even with that barrel it is less than 28 inches long.

For Florida man, if you think those clips are small now you should see them through my 68 year old eyes. I agree, they are tiny. I'm sensing you are not seeing a need for more power in your bullshark 25 and I can understand that sentiment. I killed 18 squirrels with my 25 caliber P35 at about 32 fpe (shooting FTTs). But it's a nice gun and more accurate at it's current 50 fpe tune. You'd have to install that Extreme airguns plenum to get there, however. But I don't see it at this power level as very backyard friendly. It is quiet enough but the 34 grain pellets it likes would carry a long way on a miss or even a pass through.