Other Another newbie question, perfect first gun?

The ghost is on the top of my list but I was hoping it would be a good hunter for coyote and possibly deer in .30 as a single do everything gun. I'm still considering it if I stick to smaller critters. Unfortunately it's at the peak of my affordability. If it were a semi auto though I'd let all the big critters alone because it seems to be a top performer with quality, ect. ....edit.. because it seems to have all my wants except the hunt.
It should be no problem for coyotes to 100 deer i think your better off larger and very much so. Ive seen deer killed with 22 lr and you must be very precise to make it clean. I would say for deer and air power get something that shoots an arrow lot more margin for error. And a 30 would be an expensive plinker but you could add a 177 barrel to the ghost

It should be no problem for coyotes to 100 deer i think your better off larger and very much so. Ive seen deer killed with 22 lr and you must be very precise to make it clean. I would say for deer and air power get something that shoots an arrow lot more margin for error. And a 30 would be an expensive plinker but you could add a 177 barrel to the ghost
I've considered the second barrel, $600 I could probably handle after I've had some time with it in 6 months or so

@FreemanS - I suggest a .22 Daystate Revere for your first PCP. Great rifle for plinking and small game hunting. Easy to hand pump the unregulated version. Has the Harper Patent valve so very flat shooting curve. Comes in left hand configuration. Nothing to adjust or fiddle with. 25 fpe with 16 grain. 30 fpe with the 18 grain. Was my first PCP, still one of my favorites.

@FreemanS - I suggest a .22 Daystate Revere for your first PCP. Great rifle for plinking and small game hunting. Easy to hand pump the unregulated version. Has the Harper Patent valve so very flat shooting curve. Comes in left hand configuration. Nothing to adjust or fiddle with. 25 fpe with 16 grain. 30 fpe with the 18 grain. Was my first PCP, still one of my favorites.
Great advice. You can also add the Brocock XR non magnum 22 cals in there IMO.

For you plinker keep an eye on the classified section and check Airguns of Arizona preowned. I bought a BRK Concept Lite 22 in “good” condition from them. Saved me a lot of money. Aside from some wear marks it’s great. It shoots just as well as a new rifle. Maybe better, it’s nice and worn in.

I guess I should have looked at the daystate line before but because of the electronics I've steered clear preffering mechanical but that's one I'm going to take a hard look at. Thanks 😀

Great advice. You can also add the Brocock XR non magnum 22 cals in there IMO.

For you plinker keep an eye on the classified section and check Airguns of Arizona preowned. I bought a BRK Concept Lite 22 in “good” condition from them. Saved me a lot of money. Aside from some wear marks it’s great. It shoots just as well as a new rifle. Maybe better, it’s nice and worn in.
Awesome gun from what I've seen about it so far. Neither the Renegade or the xr are the tactical that I've drooled over but I'm comfortable with the traditional style feel. I'm looking at both as possible. The price keeps me in the ballpark for another being a big bore.

I have a Huntsman 177 regulated and a Concept Lite XR 22. Both dang good guns. They have been always consistent and ready to go.

IMG_1362.jpeg

IMG_2775.jpeg

Reactions: maxtrouble
I don’t know that I would agree that semi-autos are not reliable. I have two Edgun Leshiy’s and have had zero problems. If I was going to only own one airgun it would definitely be a semi auto. I hear nothing but good about Huben’s, but I am not sure about the non-removal magazine particularly How that would affect their cleaning. I really want to get a Western Sidewinder soon.

For what my opinion is worth I like .25 cal. They hit pretty hard for small game, squirrels, rabbits, birds. I personally don’t think .25 pellets are prohibitively expensive for plinking. Way cheaper than powder burners.
If you did encounter problems with your Leshiys, would you self-repair, or send them off for service? If you did send them off, where would you send them?

No magazine issues? I was considering a Leishy initially but got scared off when I read somewhere that someone had to send their semi auto in for repair when it jammed. Might be another manufacturer though, I've read a lot of anecdotal reports.
We have three Leshiy 2s, and have zero time or interest in repairing them, if they have problems. And they have had problems. I posted a thread asking about repair sources and have a good list, but I always get the sense from potential repair places that Edguns are exotic and difficult. Who knows.

Reactions: FreemanS
I'm sorry if this is the incorrect forum.

I'm looking for the single first PCP Rifle both reliable and accurate for both hunting larger game and economical plinking. Is this unrealistic?

I'm a lefty tired of being assaulted by ejected shells from right handed weapons happy to discover the myriad of ambidextrous guns in PCP.

I love the small tactical platforms with short barrels.

In my quest it seems that .25 and .30 caliber are common but are they realistic for mid to larger game such as coyotes and deer or would I be afflicting the poor animal?

Is the best gun actually two guns, one for plinking and one for hunting?

All of my weapons in the past are semi auto so I've had to suppress my desire for another in PCP's since the concensus has determined they're not yet reliable.

I know my selection comes at a cost looking at Brocock, Kalibrgun, RTI, AGT, Hatsan, FX, Western, and now the seemingly non existent for the market Karma weapons to name just a few.

Am I on the right track or should I consider larger caliber and longer barrels?
We do pest control. Our Brocock, Kalibrgun, and FX rifles are our favorites. Would recommend against Edgun products, for several reasons.

I shoot from my left shoulder and I would not, no way, consider buying a Brocock Ghost. That great big magazine would be right in my face. I tried that once with an Impact and I never want to shoot that way again. Why spend a bunch of money on a nice air rifle that is uncomfortable to use? If you've tried one and it's not an issue for you then fine. But my big head would be in the way of the magazine.

We debate "what is enough power" a lot for airguns. That happens at least in part due to a difference in how we like to hunt. I want a gun with enough power I can take any reasonable shot to the vitals. That means more fpe than somebody who is more patient and willing to wait for a brain shot at just the right angle. A Caiman X in 25 or probably even 22 caliber looks to be very comfortable for lefties (I should know for sure later this week) and should work for brain shots on coyotes at least. For about $1000 less than a Ghost. But if you are not that patient and want to take body shots, then something like a Crosman bulldog in 357 or 45 is indicated. 3-5 shots per fill. Not great for plinking. In many states, a little sub 100 fpe PCP isn't going to be legal for deer, at least, but if airguns are allowed at all the 45 bulldog should be. A bulldog AND a Caiman would cost about the same as the Ghost.

I shoot from my left shoulder and I would not, no way, consider buying a Brocock Ghost. That great big magazine would be right in my face. I tried that once with an Impact and I never want to shoot that way again. Why spend a bunch of money on a nice air rifle that is uncomfortable to use? If you've tried one and it's not an issue for you then fine. But my big head would be in the way of the magazine.

We debate "what is enough power" a lot for airguns. That happens at least in part due to a difference in how we like to hunt. I want a gun with enough power I can take any reasonable shot to the vitals. That means more fpe than somebody who is more patient and willing to wait for a brain shot at just the right angle. A Caiman X in 25 or probably even 22 caliber looks to be very comfortable for lefties (I should know for sure later this week) and should work for brain shots on coyotes at least. For about $1000 less than a Ghost. But if you are not that patient and want to take body shots, then something like a Crosman bulldog in 357 or 45 is indicated. 3-5 shots per fill. Not great for plinking. In many states, a little sub 100 fpe PCP isn't going to be legal for deer, at least, but if airguns are allowed at all the 45 bulldog should be. A bulldog AND a Caiman would cost about the same as the Ghost.
I am a left-handed shooter. I know very little about air rifles, but I was a Marine and am a reasonably capable shooter. Whether the air rifles I own and have shot (Brocock, FX, Kalibrgun, Edgun) favor or disfavor my left-handedness has never come to mind. I shoot a centerfire bolt-action hunting rifle, and simple reach over with my left hand to work the bolt. Ambidextrousness may play a role in this capability.

P.S. Love the Brocock Sniper.

That's unfortunate about the ghost. For some reason I thought the mag could be loaded from either side. Must be the kalibrgun or one of the other zillion I looked at I was thinking of. The cricket and Caiman are both on top of my list for tactical and now trying to rule out an XR and Renegade. I've just always driven long barrels in the past so although shorter range I'd like the challenge of a short barrel. At least I have choices with all excellent accuracy.

In my opinion you do not have to go to $1000-$2000 guns to get something that shoots accurately and is dependable. My Caiman X will be my first >$500 airgun and I like my 5 lower priced guns. For a leftie, the SPA M60B or the P35/Stoeger Bullshark are excellent guns (going on reviews of the M60 but I own 3 P35s and have shot and tuned a bullshark). The M60 price is a function of the air storage but Airgun Archery Fun only wants something like $700 for their most expensive setup. It has a carbon fiber bottle and a big magazine that goes right in the middle of the gun so it isn't in your face from either side. The P35 and Bullshark are less than $500. I've shot a 200 on the 30 yard challenge with my P35-22. Only a 194 with the 177 and 25 but I hope to raise that some. They will not give you the power of the more expensive guns but the 177 will give you 18-19 fpe, the 22s are capable of >30 fpe and I have my 25 at about 50 fpe but had to put on an aftermarket plenum to get there. It would do ~45 fpe without the plenum. I've found a slug or two that mine will shoot reasonably well but they all do better with pellets. I think the barrels are 1 in 21 twist which is better for pellets. Not sure about the M60. An advantage of particularly the P35 is weight. Unscoped it only weighs about 5 lbs. The M60 is also available in 30 and 35 caliber but they are not real high fpe. I think the 30 is about 70 fpe and the 35 is a little over 100. Good for coyotes in my opinion but too small for deer.

Reactions: Florida_Man
In my opinion you do not have to go to $1000-$2000 guns to get something that shoots accurately and is dependable. My Caiman X will be my first >$500 airgun and I like my 5 lower priced guns. For a leftie, the SPA M60B or the P35/Stoeger Bullshark are excellent guns (going on reviews of the M60 but I own 3 P35s and have shot and tuned a bullshark). The M60 price is a function of the air storage but Airgun Archery Fun only wants something like $700 for their most expensive setup. It has a carbon fiber bottle and a big magazine that goes right in the middle of the gun so it isn't in your face from either side. The P35 and Bullshark are less than $500. I've shot a 200 on the 30 yard challenge with my P35-22. Only a 194 with the 177 and 25 but I hope to raise that some. They will not give you the power of the more expensive guns but the 177 will give you 18-19 fpe, the 22s are capable of >30 fpe and I have my 25 at about 50 fpe but had to put on an aftermarket plenum to get there. It would do ~45 fpe without the plenum. I've found a slug or two that mine will shoot reasonably well but they all do better with pellets. I think the barrels are 1 in 21 twist which is better for pellets. Not sure about the M60. An advantage of particularly the P35 is weight. Unscoped it only weighs about 5 lbs. The M60 is also available in 30 and 35 caliber but they are not real high fpe. I think the 30 is about 70 fpe and the 35 is a little over 100. Good for coyotes in my opinion but too small for deer.
I'm starting to seriously consider the Caiman because of it's ergonomics. I can't get over the thought tho of shooting targets with a 2x4. :) AEAC's report on it is exceptional. So I'm trying to decide on purchasing it while I wait for a larger caliber Kalibrgun Springbok to appear. That gun presses every one of my triggers except its smaller calibers. Coyotes have been my primary target from the start with the idea of getting something sufficient for deer if I had the chance later in Colorado if hunting opens to them or I have friends in other states that are open to deer I might go with someday. Plinking would be great tho to improve my shooting so I've come to terms with needing another gun instead of just 1 perfect gun for all uses. .25 and .30 if conservative aren't all that expensive in the long run. - as opposed to rimfire rounds, etc.

I'm sorry if this is the incorrect forum.

I'm looking for the single first PCP Rifle both reliable and accurate for both hunting larger game and economical plinking. Is this unrealistic?

I'm a lefty tired of being assaulted by ejected shells from right handed weapons happy to discover the myriad of ambidextrous guns in PCP.

I love the small tactical platforms with short barrels.

In my quest it seems that .25 and .30 caliber are common but are they realistic for mid to larger game such as coyotes and deer or would I be afflicting the poor animal?

Is the best gun actually two guns, one for plinking and one for hunting?

All of my weapons in the past are semi auto so I've had to suppress my desire for another in PCP's since the concensus has determined they're not yet reliable.

I know my selection comes at a cost looking at Brocock, Kalibrgun, RTI, AGT, Hatsan, FX, Western, and now the seemingly non existent for the market Karma weapons to name just a few.

Am I on the right track or should I consider larger caliber and longer barrels?
The Airmaks Katran is around $1000 and the reviews are very good, do not need to do a lot of tinkering from what I hear.

Same here. I prefer these two over the FX Maverick Compact 177 I had. I literally had to put the BullShark together, replace missing screws, and adjust the regulator. But it was still less frustrating than my Mav. And as a disclaimer I bought the Bullshark in pieces as someone else’s failure.
Snowpeak P35 25 cal
Stoeger XM1 Bullshark 177

IMG_0456.jpeg

IMG_3467.jpeg

FX Dream Pup .25 "open box" $999 - Sounds like a really good deal

I looked at that one but being a lefty I'd be kissing the magazine. The dream-lite tho I'm looking hard at.

Reactions: orangeokie