Another Newbee saying Hello

I am an old guy (68yr) but a newbie here.

My name is Nick and I want to say Hello to everyone.

A little background about me is that I have been tinkering with air guns for about 5 yrs.

I am right handed with left eye dominant so I try shooting both left and right handed

I live in Arizona between Tucson and Mexico, I live in a residential area with a wildlife corridor behind my home. I am very tolerant with all the different critters including, Mountain Lions, Bobcats, Javelinas and the of course the millions of rabbits and lizards big and small, they don't bother me. But what I can't stand is pack rats and pocket gophers or sometimes called ground squirrels. These squirrels are lightning fast, dig tunnels, many tunnels and at times are carnivore.

5 years ago I asked some coworkers what could I use to get rid of them or try to control the population and I was told, Poison or Pellet gun.

A coworker loaned me a rifle that belonged to his late grandpa and that's how I started, Hook Line and Sinker!

After a few months of using the borrowed rifle I was determined to purchase my first gun. I didn't know anyone else for advice so please no laughing at what I purchased for starters. Went to a local Walmart, and talked to the sales person for a suggestion and purchased a Co2 pistol, what a mistake that was, I could have thrown my shoes at the squirrels and had a better chance of hitting them. Two weeks later I went to a Big 5 and they sold me a Gamo Whisper .177.

Next I purchased a Diana AO3 .177 and then a Gamo swarm .22, and that's were I am at.

I want to buy a PCP next because I am tired and it is getting difficult to break the barrels for loading.

Anyways, Hello to you all and I hope that I can learn from you...

WELCOME Nick. Great forum for learning here. I'm Gerry, a young guy (67). Also been into this for about 5 years. Like you said, "hook, line & sinker". Once I started I was addicted. What a habit! I'm in Encinitas, CA. (San Diego). Been toying with the idea of an Arizona hunting trip. Might "pick your brain" at some time in the future. Anyway, welcome aboard & take advantage of the wealth of knowledge here and the nice people who freely share it.

Gerry 

WELCOME Nick. Great forum for learning here. I'm Gerry, a young guy (67). Also been into this for about 5 years. Like you said, "hook, line & sinker". Once I started I was addicted. What a habit! I'm in Encinitas, CA. (San Diego). Been toying with the idea of an Arizona hunting trip. Might "pick your brain" at some time in the future. Anyway, welcome aboard & take advantage of the wealth of knowledge here and the nice people who freely share it.

Gerry

Its good to know that there is so much support here to learn from. I wouldn't plan for a hunting trip anywhere near the southern boarder of AZ due to the fact that there are quite a bit of immigrants passing through the desert in many areas. Thanks for replying

Hi Nick! Welcome to the insanity!! Glad to have ya around. PCPs are great, but you’ll need extra ($$) stuffs. I love both break barrels and PCPs, but tend to be snobbish about my springers. Love me some Walthers and Weihrauch.

The $$$ costs for the equipment besides the rifle is what my main concern is. I cannot afford to purchase the wrong parts only to find out I will need to do it over, been there and done that.. Live and learn. Thanks for replying.

Hi Nick, welcome to a great helpful forum. And once you try pcp’s your going to get hooked! Little recoil, great accuracy and so much fun. Have you decided on a rifle yet? Your in for a bunch of fun, and lots of great advice here too. Everyone is so willing to help and you can get a lot of information here. Again, welcome aboard!

Dave - you hit the most important things I am looking for, Little recoil, great accuracy and my most important qualification of any rifle is Quiet!

I have been looking at many videos on revies of different rifles and I am liking the Royale 500, Crown PCP, Wildcat MkII and Crown Continum so far but my list is changing daily. Again thanks for Replying

Not trying to scare you away from the PCP world. But. First figure out how and/or where your going to get air from. I just purchased my first PCP two weeks ago. Researching air tanks and fill stations is not nearly as fun and researching an new air gun. But if you don’t have easy access to 4000psi air. Your not going to get much shooting done. For starters try to find a paint ball shop in your area. Ask if they can fill a bottle to 4000PSI. Then start looking for fill bottles. Your tank and fill station may very well cost as much as the air gun. 

Welcome Aboard 😁 

Hello Nick, this is a nice place to gain knowledge on all aspects of the PCP's and relative material. Most of us started as you did and realized that the best thing to move up to is PCP's. Welcome and I hope that you enjoy being here as much as I do. Good Luck.

Yes I am finding a wealth of information here and so many opinions of this and that. Hard to understand all the lingo and different options a rifle can be purchased in so I will be listening and I will definitely ask for help on a final decision on my selection Thanks for replying 

Nick, I highly recommend you look into an HW30 as an option for a Spring gun while you decide on a PCP. Very easy to cock/load. Very accurate, and very little recoil. If you hit the Search function up there you will have plenty of info on this great little gun. 

For the PCP see if it’s economical to rent a Nitrogen tank from a welding supply. Probably the least headache thing to do. 

As for the gun, just do a little research and focus on what you want out of it. I am very much in favor of buying from a local dealer. Is Airguns of Arizona far from you? I would swing by and see what’s to see. I believe you can try the guns there too. 

Not trying to scare you away from the PCP world. But. First figure out how and/or where your going to get air from. I just purchased my first PCP two weeks ago. Researching air tanks and fill stations is not nearly as fun and researching an new air gun. But if you don’t have easy access to 4000psi air. Your not going to get much shooting done. For starters try to find a paint ball shop in your area. Ask if they can fill a bottle to 4000PSI. Then start looking for fill bottles. Your tank and fill station may very well cost as much as the air gun. 

Welcome Aboard
1f601.svg

Thanks for the letting me know that, I met a person that told me that there is a Airgun range and club about 8 miles from me, I have never been there so I guess a quick trip there is a necessity and I can get the answer. Thanks for replying 

Welcome Nick , Do a lot of research on guns & scopes . Thanksgiving & Christmas is around the corner so if you can hold out till then Pyramid Air has some great buys on certain guns . You can put that money towards pellets lol . Darell

Thanks for the advice on waiting for Thanksgiving & Christmas sales, I forgot about that, Thanks for replying

Nick, I highly recommend you look into an HW30 as an option for a Spring gun while you decide on a PCP. Very easy to cock/load. Very accurate, and very little recoil. If you hit the Search function up there you will have plenty of info on this great little gun. 

For the PCP see if it’s economical to rent a Nitrogen tank from a welding supply. Probably the least headache thing to do. 

As for the gun, just do a little research and focus on what you want out of it. I am very much in favor of buying from a local dealer. Is Airguns of Arizona far from you? I would swing by and see what’s to see. I believe you can try the guns there too.

I will look into HW30 this weekend but from I had rear Springers are much noisier and that is my number 1 priority I cannot have in a rifle. AOA is about 5-6 hour round trip away from me, it could be a day trip. Thanks for replying