• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Another new to pcp guy

IMHO, your first pcp should be a simple, time tested platform. Check out the .22 Daystate Huntsman. It was one of their first offerings and still sells today. With walnut and blued steel, it looks and feels like a pb, but can be much more accurate at reasonable ranges of 50-75 yds. You should be able to find one, with a regulator for well within your budget.

Another suggestion is a .22 Theoben Rapid 7/12 (or a RAW variant). Simple, built like a tank, and, dead accurate. Once again, you should find one within your price range.

Brits pretty much invented modern pcps and know how to build them to last. Just don't get suckered in to the latest, plastic-fantastic Chinese models. Go for the Gold!

I have two Wolverine2 R HP guns in .177 and .25 as well as two Huntsman Regal regulated guns in .177 and .22 that are great guns, but I would recommend not buying that used Wolverine. Unless you are needing big power a regulated gun is much better. If that gun is a 30 F.P.E. gun it has a 17 inch barrel and won't make big power. I have BSA Goldstar SE Union Jack in .22 that shoots 14.35 JSB's at 28 F.P.E. at an average of 936F.P.S. and an E.S. of 8 F.P.S. for 30 shots from a 240 bar fill. The air cylinder is 162 C.C. I did not have any 15 89 JSB's when I got the gun and have not shot a whole string with them, but they are going 915. Both shoot dead nuts. AoA has them for a grand and you get a great swing out single shot loader, reactive rabbit and a set of rings. I use BKL because BSA dovetails are larger than 11 mm. It does not come with a moderator, but a 0db 110c or the shortest Humma is all it needs. Franklink did a great review on the .177 (three pages short of War and Peace). In the specials at AoA they have a BSA R10 SE thumbhole in .22 for eleven hundred. I will ad that the bolt cocking is better on the BSA than the Huntsman Regals and the Regal is lighter. With the hamster removed from the BSA it is eight pounds. Just some more options to think about. 

Buy once - cry once: no such thing in this hobby. So your looking at used is a good thing. For me, I constantly hunt for the next perfect rifle: one that is high quality, low weight, sufficient power (30fpe min) good trigger, good balance, good reg, good shotcount and efficiency, no shifting barrel, smooth working mag, low noise, possibility to add a moderator or change the moderator if wanted, etc

Bear in mind, most UK offerings are designed for 12 fpe, and do not tend to do that well at higher power levels. Chinese and turkish are lwo priced, afaik for a reason. Russian brands are simple, affordable and high quality (Edgun and Kalibrgun come to mind here)…

This is a great post and note the "low weight". That point is too easy to overlook. Unless you're a guy that likes being tied to benchrest, there are some really heavy offerings out there.

FWIW- I don't own any Daystate rifles at this time but they are some of the best looking "traditional" type offerings out there. The other one that you might consider is the Air Arms S510. Especially in the fancy stock.... It's a like a pretty gal walking down the street.