N/A Another new shooter needs help

I suggest calling Airguns of Arizona. They can set you up with a "Buy once, cry once" rifle". Not familiar with your state's laws but they should be able to help.

I suggest the HW95. Do some due diligence and watch a few youtube videos. The scope is actually very good. In car terms the HW95 is a Bavarian Hotrod. Perfect.

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/spring-piston/weihrauch-hw95l-field-pro/

HW95 and HW98 are same gun internally. 98 obviously has the barrel shroud and better stock. HW77 and HW97 are also the same internally. Different stocks and barrel lengths available and 97 has no iron sights. Diana 54 was mentioned earlier. Great gun, recoilless. Heaviest of all the guns I’ve listed and more complex because of the sled. Takes some tweaking usually to get it shooting how you want. If I were going to shoot silhouette with a springer those are the 5 I’d choose from. If you have to be sub-12 FPE all will take some fiddling.

Depends how much power you need to shoot silhouette?

A Weihrauch - HW50S from Krale will cost you about $325 including shipping.
Far, far superior to a Crosman, Gamo, Hatsan or whatever.

The .177 caliber will shoot JSB 7.87 up to 775/800 fps or about 10/11 FPE.
Great gun, very well made, manageable and accurate out to 50 yards.

If you decide to go this route...and are planing on scoping it be prepared to deal with barrel droop, they seem pron to that more often than not. jmho
Once you get around that should it be there, they are a great rifle for the money..also jmho

Reactions: drjjpdc78
I'd go so far as to say that I would NOT buy a scope/gun combo unless it's used and the scope has a no Hassel 100 percent warranty like vortex. I would buy the gun and scope separately...
One thing that surprised me was that the R9 Elite was sold with an under $100 scope. I know all about expensive glass, being a photographer, my used Blad uses Zeiss lenses, as good as they get for cameras.

Hi I'm a long time lead shooter 50 years and still have a safe full of rifles, handguns, etc. I have to admit that this air rifle search/compare question is a lot harder than any of my previous guns. I generally shoot NRA lever action silhouette (although not very well) and would like to do the same with my air rifle. I am having a hard time thinking that I have to spend $500-600 on my first air rifle. So I finally saw an RWS 3400 in my LGS, and said I remember that company and put it back down. I went home and started reading reports and how they were marking them down $100-150 and thought I better avoid that model. Now my LGS (Cheyenne Mtn. Outfitters) is a very good store with a lot of leaded guns but only had about 8 models on the shelf.

I started thinking at first the Crosman's they showed me (Optimus and Vantage) looked & felt OK but were very low priced. I'm not too handy fixing guns anymore so I felt the break actions (I decided to avoid PCP's or one of those re-fillable models) were a good place to start. One other thing I have to mention is that I live in NJ, firearms hell and there are not too many stores to drive to. There's Bass pro shops in AC and I'm thinking of going on GB or just asking my LGS to order exactly what I want. Of course I did my homework about Hatsan and Gamo but they were absent, I could not believe they had nothing from Gamo. So I was thinking of spending around $300 or so, does anyone here have a good suggestion for me to start?
Mybe this will help you. You should be familiar with the 50 ft off hand paoer silhouette NRA target with 20 animals on it. I run a 20 meter shoot here in Pa using that target off the bench. It was to big, reduced it 10%, still too big, reduced it 20 % , still to big , lots of perfect scores. So we kept that target but changed the scoring. Touch the animal you get 1 point, normal best edge scoring. We also score it worst edge meaning the entire pellet must be within the animal, now you get a bonus half point. So in a 40 animal match a perfect score is 60. Have not had one yet. This is a spring gun only match. Everyone shoots a .177 due to the worst edge scoring, except me. I put my TX200 in the gun safe and am using my Diana 54 in .22. The pellet just barely fits to get the extra .5 point, but I enjoy that gun, I am getting closer to them every match. If your a long time lead shooter, as I am, a rifle under 1000.00 should make you happy. No reloading , nickel a shot or less, very limited cleaning. Join the fun.Name silhouette game, I have shot them all over my 76 years. Rim fire, Centerfire, Black powder, handgun and now airgun.

Now I have to answer some questions. 1st the NJ thing, married 45 years, my wife's legs are rooted about 12' down in nj. Since I'm not a caveman there's no way I could get her to leave, also family here too. Now the rifles, at first it was R9, HW 97 and TX 200. After a few more posts for the HW family, I guess I have to go up the ladder from HW50S to the 98. Also the Beeman R7 I guess.

Primarily target but I do have a NJ hunting license. I would prefer something with minimal fiddling, but I still reload so I know about differences in loads. Now that I've got a smaller list of choices, I have to continue specific research. Oh yes I am thinking I would prefer rifles that can use .177 pellets. Thanks for the help.

I do have someone else I could ask. My main gun website is Levergun Scoundrels www.levergun-scoundrels, a great website with a lot of different guns. I have a pal in SC that has an HW 50S, I'll have to call.

.hw/R's in .177 do about best .. then with a good spring hard pressed to do much better.. just a bad time to want and buy a hw made gun .. they seem to have some manufacturing / supply problems .. bad... I just don't know how much blindeye in qc to get anything out to fill any order ... How they got this bad behind beyond me.. ijdk.

Reactions: drjjpdc78
One thing that surprised me was that the R9 Elite was sold with an under $100 scope. I know all about expensive glass, being a photographer, my used Blad uses Zeiss lenses, as good as they get for cameras.
Don't buy a Weihrauch gun/scope combo :cautious: !
Scopes maybe worth the difference in price, but what good is a 3x9x32 $100 scope - especially with older eyeso_O.

If/when the idiots ruin this state, I’ll get back in my truck. Hope I run out of time before I run out of states.
Don't come back to Michigan. Dems took the house and senate with the last round of elections and we are losing our rights daily!! Still get to play with our airguns yet so not all hope is lost I guess.

Don't come back to Michigan. Dems took the house and senate with the last round of elections and we are losing our rights daily!! Still get to play with our airguns yet so not all hope is lost I guess.
We go back regularly to visit our kids and grandkids. Expect to see barbed wire strung across I-69 at the Michigan line, next time.

Last edited:
Now I have to answer some questions. 1st the NJ thing, married 45 years, my wife's legs are rooted about 12' down in nj. Since I'm not a caveman there's no way I could get her to leave, also family here too. Now the rifles, at first it was R9, HW 97 and TX 200. After a few more posts for the HW family, I guess I have to go up the ladder from HW50S to the 98. Also the Beeman R7 I guess.

Primarily target but I do have a NJ hunting license. I would prefer something with minimal fiddling, but I still reload so I know about differences in loads. Now that I've got a smaller list of choices, I have to continue specific research. Oh yes I am thinking I would prefer rifles that can use .177 pellets. Thanks for the help.

I do have someone else I could ask. My main gun website is Levergun Scoundrels www.levergun-scoundrels, a great website with a lot of different guns. I have a pal in SC that has an HW 50S, I'll have to call.
Why not take a weekend little vacation and drive to another state with far less restrictions and make your selection there. Bring it home and have fun !!

We go back regularly to visit our kids and grandkids. Expect to see barbed wire strung across I-69 at the Michigan line, next time.
I am stuck in Michigan. Family here, all my roots. Not happy with the political landscape or my proximity to Dearborn. I have taken preventative measures. New York reloads and defensive tools. This is an excellent vendor, very happy with their products.

That is where I'm originally from.
All my relatives when I was a kid were in auto industry. It's sad over there these days.

Always rember ... You voted for it ( and probably reelected them as well over and over ). 😎
thats not always and often not the case. Oregon was run by portland and salem. They voted one way the rest of the state the other way. but the population centers won out and forced it on others. Thats often the case in many places.