N/A Another new shooter needs help

Hi I'm a long time lead shooter 50 years and still have a safe full of rifles, handguns, etc. I have to admit that this air rifle search/compare question is a lot harder than any of my previous guns. I generally shoot NRA lever action silhouette (although not very well) and would like to do the same with my air rifle. I am having a hard time thinking that I have to spend $500-600 on my first air rifle. So I finally saw an RWS 3400 in my LGS, and said I remember that company and put it back down. I went home and started reading reports and how they were marking them down $100-150 and thought I better avoid that model. Now my LGS (Cheyenne Mtn. Outfitters) is a very good store with a lot of leaded guns but only had about 8 models on the shelf.

I started thinking at first the Crosman's they showed me (Optimus and Vantage) looked & felt OK but were very low priced. I'm not too handy fixing guns anymore so I felt the break actions (I decided to avoid PCP's or one of those re-fillable models) were a good place to start. One other thing I have to mention is that I live in NJ, firearms hell and there are not too many stores to drive to. There's Bass pro shops in AC and I'm thinking of going on GB or just asking my LGS to order exactly what I want. Of course I did my homework about Hatsan and Gamo but they were absent, I could not believe they had nothing from Gamo. So I was thinking of spending around $300 or so, does anyone here have a good suggestion for me to start?

Hi I'm a long time lead shooter 50 years and still have a safe full of rifles, handguns, etc. I have to admit that this air rifle search/compare question is a lot harder than any of my previous guns. I generally shoot NRA lever action silhouette (although not very well) and would like to do the same with my air rifle. I am having a hard time thinking that I have to spend $500-600 on my first air rifle. So I finally saw an RWS 3400 in my LGS, and said I remember that company and put it back down. I went home and started reading reports and how they were marking them down $100-150 and thought I better avoid that model. Now my LGS (Cheyenne Mtn. Outfitters) is a very good store with a lot of leaded guns but only had about 8 models on the shelf.

I started thinking at first the Crosman's they showed me (Optimus and Vantage) looked & felt OK but were very low priced. I'm not too handy fixing guns anymore so I felt the break actions (I decided to avoid PCP's or one of those re-fillable models) were a good place to start. One other thing I have to mention is that I live in NJ, firearms hell and there are not too many stores to drive to. There's Bass pro shops in AC and I'm thinking of going on GB or just asking my LGS to order exactly what I want. Of course I did my homework about Hatsan and Gamo but they were absent, I could not believe they had nothing from Gamo. So I was thinking of spending around $300 or so, does anyone here have a good suggestion for me to start?
You are actually better off they don't have Gamo and hatsan. They are clear examples of you get what you pay for. While there are some who like them, theres far more that have had problems or now say they will never get guns from turkey, Spain, or few from china.

I got a gamo Whisper cat reading they were quiet and as shtf rifle. I was less than impressed and was disappointed in the reviews I'd seen As mine wasn't as good as the reviews had made them seem.

Others have given good advice. The r9 is often viewed favorably, as is the hw97 and tx200. It might be worth saving for a better quality rifle that you won't regret.

Last edited:
Depends how much power you need to shoot silhouette?

A Weihrauch - HW50S from Krale will cost you about $325 including shipping.
Far, far superior to a Crosman, Gamo, Hatsan or whatever.

The $325 does Not include shipping - My Bad :p .

The .177 caliber will shoot JSB 7.87 up to 775/800 fps or about 10/11 FPE.
Great gun, very well made, manageable and accurate out to 50 yards.

Last edited:
reality of live in New Jersey you cannot buy online PA will not ship to you and most places take and duplicates PA's shipping restriction and just use them
the reviews at PA show the RWS 3400 to be less than good
Pyramyd Air will ship their products to an FFL dealer
https://www.pyramydair.com/faq#ShippingRestrictions

how you get what you what is unknown to me

After starting to read about airguns and that they are actually more complex than most leaded guns made me a bit hesitant about used airguns. I don't need to be crazy bench accurate. Well I just reviewed the target size of NRA air rifle silhouette, WOW!
We shoot from 20-45 yards. The size of the chickens can be 1" to 2" wide at 20 yards!! You guys have just convinced me to spend closer to my original thoughts. BTW, even if I spend more for a rifle, do any of them come with a decent scope?

Last edited:
Obviously I have to up my game. At my age I have long been aware of purchasing firearms in NJ with their dearth of decent size gun stores and no gun shows. Although I would rather purchase everything at my LGS that is near impossible in NJ. Plus a lot of NJ gun stores/FFL's know it and the prices for fees receiving guns reflect it. You can easily pay $70 to get an FFL to receive your rifle.

Obviously I have to up my game. At my age I have long been aware of purchasing firearms in NJ with their dearth of decent size gun stores and no gun shows. Although I would rather purchase everything at my LGS that is near impossible in NJ. Plus a lot of NJ gun stores/FFL's know it and the prices for fees receiving guns reflect it. You can easily pay $70 to get an FFL to receive your rifle.
$70 really isnt a bad price. Ive seen as low as $25 if not purchased there and as high as $125-150 depending on the item. Sucks you yall tolerate such an infringing state.

No one is forcing them to live in the cesspool they live in.

Bill
True. But I live in NY..quite terrible. Not too much by choice as my whole family lives here and I take care of my old man part time. ....can't easily leave until he does....and then my kids are here.........

Last edited:
Reactions: drjjpdc78
$70 really isnt a bad price. Ive seen as low as $25 if not purchased there and as high as $125-150 depending on the item. Sucks you yall tolerate such an infringing state.
My ffl is $20. $5 for each additional. No waiting period. I ordered a 1911 .45 pistol online Monday and shot it on Wednesday. I was born and raised/lived in Michigan for 60 years. Got in my car and left the regime in the rear view mirror. Moved to freedom. The Deep South, Alabama. Biggest fear we all have here is this massive infiltration of people bringing their old voting habits along with them. They are fleeing the states they have ruined and haven’t learned a thing.
Save your money until you can get the HW95/R9 they are the same gun. Different branding. Surely someone you know can order it for you and that would make a nice little vacation.

Like you, I'm a lifelong firearm shooter. About two years ago I decided to buy a decent air rifle as firearms ammo and reloading components have become so expensive and I wanted to be able to keep shooting with something more affordable ammo-wise. I was also initially thinking along the same lines as you in regards to budget.

After much research I decided it was worth expanding my budget, and get something really good. Now, I've always owned and shot airguns, I had just never owned or shot a higher-end airgun. I decided to dive into the deeper end of the springer pool and I bought a .22 Weihrauch HW98. Up until that point the priciest airgun I had ever bought was a $125 Crosman 392, so the decision to spend $600+ for the HW98 was admittedly made with a bit of trepidation.

Any doubts about the wisdom of investing that much money in an air rifle disappeared when I received the gun, set it up, and shot it for the first time. Wow. The accuracy, precision, fit and finish are as nice as any fine firearm. A gorgeous, great shooting gun. I was so impressed that I ordered another Weihrauch, the lighter more affordable .177 HW50S for just under $400. Both rifles are worth every penny, and my favorite kind of shooting is with those little 1/10 scale steel animal silhouettes at 20-50 yds, which they both do very well with budget Hawke and UTG optics up top.

You won't find them locally, so you'll have to buy online, and it looks like in your state you'll need to pay an FFL dealer to do the transaction and use someone like PA who will ship to an FFL. However, If you decide to expand your budget and get something a big step above a Hatsan or Gamo, you wouldn't be disappointed with either rifle. They're beauties.

Some obligatory eye candy-

The HW98 with a Hawke 2-7 AO up top.
hw98.JPG

The HW50S with a UTG 3-9 AO Bug Buster.
sun1 2.JPG

A word of warning though. The quality airgun rabbit hole is a deep one, and the sport is beyond addictive.

Last edited:
My ffl is $20. $5 for each additional. No waiting period. I ordered a 1911 .45 pistol online Monday and shot it on Wednesday. I was born and raised/lived in Michigan for 60 years. Got in my car and left the regime in the rear view mirror. Moved to freedom. The Deep South, Alabama. Biggest fear we all have here is this massive infiltration of people bringing their old voting habits along with them. They are fleeing the states they have ruined and haven’t learned a thing.
Save your money until you can get the HW95/R9 they are the same gun. Different branding. Surely someone you know can order it for you and that would make a nice little vacation.
yep had the same thing happen to oregon. It got ruined. They would always complain about things yet want the same things brought in that they left. Its absurd.

Im more than ready to disappear into a holler and be left alone.

yep had the same thing happen to oregon. It got ruined. They would always complain about things yet want the same things brought in that they left. Its absurd.

Im more than ready to disappear into a holler and be left alone.
If/when the idiots ruin this state, I’ll get back in my truck. Hope I run out of time before I run out of states.

Don't know how close this guy is from you in ny , but I doubt any shipping sales to new Jersey. USA only

Reactions: drjjpdc78