N/A Another new shooter needs help

Yeah, good advice here. Any scope/gun combo is kinda a rip-off. I have a few regular firearms with that "combo" happening, and I had to replace what came on them for a Leupold.
This is the scope that comes with the HW95 combo. My friend has had this scope for two or three years and it has been trouble free and holds zero. Good glass and looks sharp at six power. Has mil dots. The regular HW95 is $500. The Field Pro costs $600. The scope costs $249 off the shelf. Seems like a good deal to me. Weihrauch has good glass.

Reactions: crosman2016
This is the scope that comes with the HW95 combo. My friend has had this scope for two or three years and it has been trouble free and holds zero. Good glass and looks sharp at six power. Has mil dots. The regular HW95 is $500. The Field Pro costs $600. The scope costs $249 off the shelf. Seems like a good deal to me. Weihrauch has good glass.

Its ONLY a good deal if thats the scope you want or it suits your needs. Many to most times its not. Its all about intended use of the rifle.

One of the greatest marketing schemes around is to use reduced, free, sale etc. It becomes psychological to the person and so often they dont look closely at it to see if its legit.

I just bought a lightly used 2022 /21? HW95 field pro the scope had an odd brown tint. It was functional but unusable in some lighting conditions. Regardless of selling price the scope is cheap Chinese junk.

Well I'm starting to reduce the recommendations so far. R9 is looking good. Regarding the HW's it's kind of hard to pick out whick one that suits me from the HW 50S to the top. At this level prices seem to be close to each other. Air Arms TX 200 is starting to get pricey compared to the others. Some of the videos love all of them with no real negative reviews. Then it seems a trial to decide which online retailer has them in stock too. It looks like .177 pellet is the choice.

Well I'm starting to reduce the recommendations so far. R9 is looking good. Regarding the HW's it's kind of hard to pick out whick one that suits me from the HW 50S to the top. At this level prices seem to be close to each other. Air Arms TX 200 is starting to get pricey compared to the others. Some of the videos love all of them with no real negative reviews. Then it seems a trial to decide which online retailer has them in stock too. It looks like .177 pellet is the choice.
I'm no expert but I'm thinking that the R9 is an HW. At least manufactured by.

Reactions: drjjpdc78
You are actually better off they don't have Gamo and hatsan. They are clear examples of you get what you pay for. While there are some who like them, theres far more that have had problems or now say they will never get guns from turkey, Spain, or few from china.

I got a gamo Whisper cat reading they were quiet and as shtf rifle. I was less than impressed and was disappointed in the reviews I'd seen As mine wasn't as good as the reviews had made them seem.

Others have given good advice. The r9 is often viewed favorably, as is the hw97 and tx200. It might be worth saving for a better quality rifle that you won't regret.
I was looking thru airgun depot and I found something interesting. It seems that Hatsan, Crosman even Barra makes guns upwards of $500-1000. Now they may not have a powerplant I asked about, but are they low quality guns even though airgun depot has some high prices on them?

I was looking thru airgun depot and I found something interesting. It seems that Hatsan, Crosman even Barra makes guns upwards of $500-1000. Now they may not have a powerplant I asked about, but are they low quality guns even though airgun depot has some high prices on them?
I dont know about barra, but if you look through here you will hear ALOT of complaints about the hatsan. So many complaints of poor quality and poor service that I will never get one. Many others refuse to get an airgun from turkey because of them. Yes there are the occasional good stories with them. However many tend to be people who don't want to spend alot or havent used higher quality rifles. Its much like the harbor freight, vs craftsman, vs snapon debate with tools.

crossman tends to be the low costversion of benjamin. Think of it as a kia vs a hyundai.

I'm not a springer guy but Ive been eying the HW97K or the TX200 simply because of how everyone raves about the quality of either of them. Also if you look to see whats used in competitions, its usually one of the two with a sprinkling of others here n there. If I could get a blue stock for the tx200 I would have it on the way already.

I dont know about barra, but if you look through here you will hear ALOT of complaints about the hatsan. So many complaints of poor quality and poor service that I will never get one. Many others refuse to get an airgun from turkey because of them. Yes there are the occasional good stories with them. However many tend to be people who don't want to spend alot or havent used higher quality rifles. Its much like the harbor freight, vs craftsman, vs snapon debate with tools.

crossman tends to be the low costversion of benjamin. Think of it as a kia vs a hyundai.

I'm not a springer guy but Ive been eying the HW97K or the TX200 simply because of how everyone raves about the quality of either of them. Also if you look to see whats used in competitions, its usually one of the two with a sprinkling of others here n there. If I could get a blue stock for the tx200 I would have it on the way already.
That sounds reasonable. I learned that PCP and refillable rifles are more expensive then most break barrel models. I was looking at those two rifles too. I've been confused with some rifles sharing different names, maybe because of parts. Like the Beeman R9 and the HW98?

Reactions: MysticalDragon
HW95 is a Beeman R9. Beeman has their name put on it is all.

I just bought a lightly used 2022 /21? HW95 field pro the scope had an odd brown tint. It was functional but unusable in some lighting conditions. Regardless of selling price the scope is cheap Chinese junk.

Show me another bespoke HW95 setup for $600. That is already $300 over his budget but at least I recommended something. The scope is fine for a starter scope that will work out of the box and comes with a warranty. Better than iron sights and works well

What he really needs according to every one is a FX Impact in .30, a Helos scope, range bag, tank, tank bag, compressor and hard case for about $8000. 🤪

Well one retail website recommended an HW77 for me. I wanted to shoot air rifle silhouette and I asked for one with open sights but they are out of stock at this time.
That would be a nice one. I prefer it over the 97 just for the sights myself . most hw's are a pre order item at the moment.
If you like the 77 maybe worth to get on the list ..

Hw77"k" in .177 only in stock here

But...??? Will they deliver nj

Last edited:
Well one retail website recommended an HW77 for me. I wanted to shoot air rifle silhouette and I asked for one with open sights but they are out of stock at this time.
The comb on the current 77 stock is too high for most shooters to use the irons that come with the gun.. You'd very likely need to custom make risers for the front and rear sights. The rear are available commercially. A front riser is not.