Tuning Another M3 LEAKING

I wanted to preface that this is more of a rant than anything else, but I'm frustrated regardless. 

I ordered my M3 04/28/21, and it arrived on my doorstep 07/22/21. This is my first PCP air rifle, but I've been an avid shooter and hunter for about 25 years. Knowing there'd be some wait for the M3, I ordered items like optics, different grip, bipod, and compressor ahead of time. I was definitely anxious to get the rifle in to say the least. Two of my friends ordered their M3s after I did, but got theirs first. Both got their rifles with some charge left in the tanks, so I found it a bit odd when mine arrived completely empty. I charged up the tank and test fired at 25 yards to zero my scope. M3 worked flawlessly and grouped well with some minor adjustments to the macro/micro adjustments Tuesday, when the rifle arrived. I stopped shooting for the evening with 125bar left in the tank. I checked it yesterday after work, and it went down to about 110 bar, but I chalked that up to potential temperature drop since it was slightly cooler, but out of curiosity, I filled the tank back to 250 bar around 9:00pm. Around midnight, it had dropped to about 200 bar. 

I usually use soapy water to test for air leaks with cars and tires, but I didn't want to leave residue so I decided to use distilled water with iso rubbing alcohol and found a leak at the back of the power plenum. The leak can be seen in the video below, which I sent to Utah, where I purchased the rifle. 

https://photos.app.goo.gl/LcfQDiQfepSrhBby8

I called and spoke with a tech this morning, and he told me to dry fire the rifle several times, and to screw down the valve adjuster knob all the way in and then dry fire it and then back to current settings to see if the leak is still there. If there is still a leak, to call back. 

As many others have voiced, I'm very disappointed in the QC of FX and starting to question my choice for first PCP. I have no issues with potentially needing to change out parts in terms of the work, but the fact that it left the factory this way, and then left Utah Air this way is a serious let down. I'm going to do the recommended tests tonight and see if I can get the o-rings to seat, which is what I assume I'm doing here, but I'd rathe be enjoying my rifle shooting it, not troubleshooting issues from the factory. I chose the M3 because of the perceived quality from FX, but that was before seeing all the various threads of issues here. I'll update findings after work, sorry for the rant. 

Jerry

I understand that quality O rings are getting hard to come by. 
I think there are two types of air rifles. Those that leak and those that will leak. It’s my understanding that FX guns have a lot of O rings so they are suspect to more trouble. 
FX may or may not have a quality control problem but having owned a bunch of air rifles the down side is THEY LEAK and require a lot more service then “regular “ guns. That’s why you buy several 

I understand that quality O rings are getting hard to come by. 
I think there are two types of air rifles. Those that leak and those that will leak. It’s my understanding that FX guns have a lot of O rings so they are suspect to more trouble. 
FX may or may not have a quality control problem but having owned a bunch of air rifles the down side is THEY LEAK and require a lot more service then “regular “ guns. That’s why you buy several 

I think this is what was concerning my wife when I told her I wanted to get into air rifles. 

I understand that leaks happen, but I had thought that leaks develop over time. I have things that had o rings that give over time, and I'm okay with that. I see them as wearable items. But, I think that's why I'm more bothered by it being this way out the gates. I bought the FX from Utah because I thought they checked for these things, but I understand things happen. 

QC is paramount--supply vs demand unfortunately results in small shortcuts here/there. 

Mine arrived the same, empty bottle but got it to seal up...but then a few weeks later, the front reg blew.

Kudos to FX, I had it back in under two weeks but having to pay shipping to get my less than a month old air rifle fixed, sucked.

Yes, I suspect my rifle will get fixed one way or another, glad to hear you got it all sorted. I would not have paid shipping in your shoes. 

Jerry

Sorry to hear about this man I hope it doesn't turn you off of air rifles completely. Unfortunately, o-rings are an inherent failure point and they will fail at some point. Also unfortunately, FX has a poop ton of o-rings in their guns. 

No, this absolutely does not turn me off air rifles. It's a learning opportunity, regardless of what caused it. I planned to at least shoot it a bit before wanting to take it apart, but that might be something that happens sooner rather than later is all. As you said, o-rings will fail at one point or another, and FX has a bunch, so I either need to learn to deal with them or get into wood carving. 

At first I thought this was a problem with some people "maxing" out their settings on the guns and putting too much pressure on the o-rings. But this obviously isn't the case here. I plan on buying one of these in the future and I hope they get this sorted out. Maybe it's time for FX to look at the o-rings and opt for something a bit stronger and durable. Good luck with the fix. I know FX will take care of you, but that doesn't take the sour taste away.

**UPDATE**

I'm home, filled the M3 back up, and it was still leaking. I did as recommended, which was dry fire it four times, still leaked. I shot half a mag, still leaked. With the rifle not cocked, I turned down the regulator adjustment knob all the way in, dry fired it, and opened it back up, still leaking. Another call to Utah tomorrow... 

I'm reluctant to open this up without their say-so as I don't want to risk screwing up the warranty. This is frustrating. 

Jerry

what caliber rifle did you get? i know it"s a let down ,,you did make the right choice in guns ,, UTAH AIR tells me they do 48 hr leak test on all rifles.,so maybe it was right on the edge of leaking passed their test and got jostled in transit opening a small leak ,i had a gen 1 WILDCAT from UTAH that came at 0 bar .,I filled and it leaked did everything U A said sent gun back to UTAH AIR for service ,it came back still leaking ,I talked with AUSTIN about this he told me to dry fire the gun 10 times over a series of a couple days ,,and {WU LAH} it worked ,,hope you can get yours to work PAT

what caliber rifle did you get? i know it"s a let down ,,you did make the right choice in guns ,, UTAH AIR tells me they do 48 hr leak test on all rifles.,so maybe it was right on the edge of leaking passed their test and got jostled in transit opening a small leak ,i had a gen 1 WILDCAT from UTAH that came at 0 bar .,I filled and it leaked did everything U A said sent gun back to UTAH AIR for service ,it came back still leaking ,I talked with AUSTIN about this he told me to dry fire the gun 10 times over a series of a couple days ,,and {WU LAH} it worked ,,hope you can get yours to work PAT

I spoke with Brian today again, and he sent me a call tag to take back the M3 for repair. I'm not sure there was a 48 hour leak test unless it was before they test fired it, the signed inspection was the same day it was shipped out. Could be possible, but who knows. I'm glad they are taking the rifle back for inspection/repairs, I'm just hoping they go through it in detail. I'm still upset about this whole ordeal, and they didn't seem surprised about the leak in the slightest. I think I'm going to take a closer look at the Brocock Ranger XR. 

Jerry

I feel your pain man. I sent mine back nearly 2 months ago for a leak. When I inquired about it I was told they were waiting on a new action to arrive. I can't say I'm really upset as things are pretty chaotic right now for obvious reasons. I am however kind of soured on the whole thing and haven't decided what I'm going to do when I receive my gun back.

I feel your pain man. I sent mine back nearly 2 months ago for a leak. When I inquired about it I was told they were waiting on a new action to arrive. I can't say I'm really upset as things are pretty chaotic right now for obvious reasons. I am however kind of soured on the whole thing and haven't decided what I'm going to do when I receive my gun back.

Let's hope it doesn't come to that. I'm trying to be as patient and understanding as possible. Utah Air has had my money since the end of April, and as far as I'm concerned, I have not gotten what I paid for nearly three months ago since this one has been leaking from the minute I got it. To say I'm an impatient man would be a dramatic understatement, so this really has been a test for me personally. 

Jerry

I have been trying to buy an FX since 2018. The general importer for Switzerland does not even respond to enquiries. Now I imported one myself from Krale. Because of customs formalities I don't have it at home yet but I have already seen the rifle. ABSOLUTELY NO AIR PRESSURE.

My first air rifle and such problems straight away. I'm sure it will be a very complicated story with the warranty. 

I have been trying to buy an FX since 2018. The general importer for Switzerland does not even respond to enquiries. Now I imported one myself from Krale. Because of customs formalities I don't have it at home yet but I have already seen the rifle. ABSOLUTELY NO AIR PRESSURE.

My first air rifle and such problems straight away. I'm sure it will be a very complicated story with the warranty.

You're better off learning to change orings yourself then deal with out of country warranty issues. They aren't overly hard to work on or diagnose. Get some soapy water or leak detector foam and go through the schematics to get oring sizes. That's what I would do anyways. 

FX has those masterclass videos on YT, armed with that and orings and a basic set of metric hex 1.5-5mm you can handle it.

No doubt the MKIII impacts are a nice gun when they are working and don’t have leaks. I still own an older X model that I’ve played with for the last few years but it still has leaks. My original purchase was for hunting but it is so unpredictable it stays home and is rarely used. I would trade it in a NY minute if someone had a decent trade . If you’re looking for a reliable rifle that you can pick up and shoot anytime , there are better options out there. A Uragan would be my first choice if they were available here, second would be the RAW HM1000X in a chassis to reduce weight. I’m on my first and last FX . 

*UPDATE*

Just wanted to give everyone an update on what's happened. It turned out to be a bad regulator, according to Brian the Tech at UA. Here's the timeline so far. Is this considered normal for the air gun industry, or have I just run into the luck of the draw? I love shooting, I really had hoped that I would be able to expand into the air rifle field, but this shouldn't be par for the course, or is it...

07/24/21- M3 departed from San Jose, CA area for Orem, UT. 

08/02/21- M3 Arrived to UA

08/04/21- Called UA, spoke with Brian about rifle, said he would get on it ASAP after it sat untouched for a couple of days. Updated tracking on rifle on invoice in UA's system showed shipping label and then cancelled.

08/09/21- Brain called back, said he replaced second regulator, shipping it back UPS instead of FedEx since FedEx is horribly slow. Received shipping notification from USPS (?).

08/10/21- Emailed Alex at UA to figure out why I got notification from USPS, tracking was cancelled and I received a UPS tracking number. 

In case anyone else is curious, I'll post up another update once I get the rifle back in my hot little hands. I had really hoped to take the M3 with me to sight in at a fixed 100 yard range to get some tuning time in with the various pellets and slugs I've been collecting since I have to re-zero my der rifle with new handloads, but that's most likely not going to happen. Deer opener is this coming weekend, and work has been drowning me. The added issues trying to get this M3 along for the deer season to get in some ground squirrel action has seemingly come and gone at this rate.