Another iguana bite the dust today. VIDEO INCLUDED 👍😊

Are these thing overpopulated in Puerto Rico?
I heard some sub-species of iguanas are highly endangered, but others (I think these are green iguanas, the species?) are so plentiful that they destroy crops and cause environmental damage like in Florida for instance, where they're considered invasive species. What other kinds of damage do these critters do actually? I'm really interested in the behaviour of these things, I'd like to know how can their population get so big in some areas and with some of their sub-species?

I think that this story kind of correlates to the one we in Europe have with wild boars. In Finland for instance, wild boars were re-introduced in the 1950's for grazing purposes, but soon their population began skyrocketing and today there's an all year round hunting season for them, because there are so many bars there...
Yes, we have overpopulation of this species on our island because they don't have a natural predator here. Also the female iguanas everytime they lay eggs per year are 20 to 70 even though they are fertile or not. They are considered pests because they destroy all the crops of our local farmers. As far as I know the only species that are endangered here are our local marine turtle, the Puerto Rico parrots that are one of the rarest birds in the world and monkeys. I also searched the following info in google;

Professor Joglar explained that the Iguana is a species native to Central and South America that was probably introduced to Puerto Rico during the seventies, when they were imported as pets and sold without major limitations in our local pet stores.

Last edited:
I had to shoot several times to finally be able to eliminate the iguana because today I was shooting with my less powerful, first gen .22 cal Avenger and the lightweight 14.13 grains crosman ultra magnum pellets. Not the best setup to hunt them because they have a extremely hard skin. If I had been shooting with the 15.99 grains hades hunting pellets or with one of my others more powerful Avenge-X .25 cal with the FX atomic 26.6 grains pellets I would have dispatched her with a single shot to her head. I recorded a video during the hunt.

View attachment 432431

View attachment 432432

View attachment 432433

View attachment 432441

Jessica uses a .22, eye shots are the best, body shots require explosives. But she shoots in urban South Florida.

Iguana Sniper/Iguana Solutions on YouTube.

Reactions: Ray_PR
Jessica uses a .22, eye shots are the best, body shots require explosives. But she shoots in urban South Florida.

Iguana Sniper/Iguana Solutions on YouTube.
In fact, the shot that finally paralyzed the iguana was fired directly at its eye. If you look closely at the video you will notice that all the shots hit the target, but some of these iguanas are extremely strong so the shots must be very accurate to be able to neutralize them.

Last edited:
Yes, we have overpopulation of this species on our island because they don't have a natural predator here. Also the female iguanas everytime they lay eggs per year are 20 to 70 even though they are fertile or not. They are considered pests because they destroy all the crops of our local farmers. As far as I know the only species that are endangered here are our local marine turtle, the Puerto Rico parrots that are one of the rarest birds in the world and monkeys. I also searched the following info in google;

Professor Joglar explained that the Iguana is a species native to Central and South America that was probably introduced to Puerto Rico during the seventies, when they were imported as pets and sold without major limitations in our local pet stores.
I see, thank you. I was genuinely interested as to why there were so many... Anyway, good hunting and have a nice one!