• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Another Hunting Story

Hunting Bonds

The year was 1973, me being 12.
In the rugged desert of Southern Idaho, where sagebrush stretched across the rolling hills and basalt with my best childhood friend and I embarked on countless hunting adventures. Our bond was forged in the fresh county air, our footsteps through the brush and grasses as we pursued elusive game.

His name was Chris, a lanky kid with a perpetual grin. We were inseparable—two young souls drawn to the wild like magnets. Our fathers, seasoned hunters themselves, had passed down their love for the outdoors, and we eagerly embraced it.

The 1970s were a simpler time. No smartphones, no distractions—just the raw beauty of nature and the thrill of the hunt. My father and grandfather, as well as Chris's dad, Old Man Waters, taught us the ways of the woods. They would share tales of tracking deer, calling in elk, hunting small game, fishing, and the art of patience, and we hung on every word.

Our air rifles were basic for the time for each of us owning a Benjamin .22 Chris's had a his initials carved in his wooden stock, and mine had a scratch near the trigger guard. But those rifles were our magic wands, granting us entry into a world where time slowed.

We’d rise before dawn, our breath still visible in the frosty air. The scent sagebrush mingled with anticipation as we trudged along, our boots crunching on in the grass and brambles. Chris's snort-wheeze, a skill he’d perfected, broke the solitude of the walk. It was our secret language, a call that said, “I’m here, and so are you.”

On this crisp morning, we spotted our quarry, a creature with speed as his friend. Its ears reached for the sky, and its eyes held wisdom. Chris nudged me, eyes wide, and whispered, “Your turn, buddy.”

I steadied my rifle, feeling the weight of generations behind me. My elders' lessons echoed: “Breathe. Steady your aim. And shoot straight.” The jack rabbit stood behind a bush, its chestnut gray coat blending with the foliage. My heart raced as I squeezed the trigger.

The shot rang out, and the jack rabbit leaped, disappearing into the sagebrush. Chris grinned, his eyes dancing. “You got him, I know it!”

We followed the trail, blood drops like breadcrumbs. The sun climbed higher, casting dappled shadows on the ground. And there in a clearing in the sagebrush lay our prize—a testament to our shared heritage, our friendship, and the magic of the hunt. We bagged several of the wiley Jack's that day. Times that will be with me for life.

Years have passed, and Chris and I still talk about those days. our fathers and grandparents are gone now, but their spirit lives on in the whisper of the wind and the rustle of leaves. And when I see my own sons shouldering their rifles, I think of Chris and those Jack's and the bond that transcends time.

images.jpeg

Last edited: