Another Fun Shooter Beeman 250 (Diana Model 45) cleaned up and refreshed

Found this Beeman 250 (Diana Model 45) in a pawn shop a little over a year ago, the date stamping indicates it was made in March 1980. Just this week I finally got around to giving it some attention.

The internals were in very nice shape with the exception of the piston seal, it seems someone had fun dieseling pellets. I had to pick pellet flakes out of the compression tube and from the leather seal. Tube is great now, unfortunately the pin/rivet that holds the seal in place has what appears to be some micro cracks, but seal is usable for now or at least until I get a conversion seal or find a replacement piston with good leather seal. Either way the reality is it’s days in this rifle are numbered.

Externally it was in pretty good shape, bluing was nice, no rust and the stock was in decent shape.However, the finish was a little dated so I freshened it up.

43B6571A-DCF3-4AA9-AD42-6CC6A6ADD9AB.1638941390.jpeg
9A1BE1CF-713A-4D66-B9E1-26B6C18418A1.1638941390.jpeg
9929EA5E-1E51-4C9E-9849-2BE6F6D526C4.1638941390.jpeg
E8D5072A-8960-47A2-9692-37855807241F.1638941391.jpeg
0A9ABFA8-FF25-4C5A-9153-EA68D7381ABD.1638941391.jpeg

Thanks for sharing. I bought one of these from a member here. The stock was cracked (as advertised) at the forend where the retaining screws are. Other than that gun was cosmetically in excellent condition. I’m new to air guns so I have not opened it up yet. But I can’t get it to group very well. So one of these days I need to take it apart and hope that I can re seal it and get it shooting a little better. 
If anyone is interested in how I fixed the cracked stock I did a write up in my local gun forum . Lots of photos and explanations 

https://www.waguns.org/viewtopic.php?f=148&t=125221

Before
1F0E2936-0F50-4553-B3CF-B657D42F4FE0.1638944141.jpeg

After 

F8C456B9-39C2-4FDC-9A5A-530CE4948A58.1638944175.jpeg

D25BAE1D-C425-4630-9123-9FFF3234D523.1638944414.jpeg

I have one too in .177 was an early model incorporating the synthetic seal. It had a nasty scratch on the stock so it was deeply discounted, back in the late 80s, when I got it. I added some scratches to the barrel with a muzzle brake I pulled off without loosening the Allen screws. My bad! But it still looks pretty good with the muzzle brake on. It was my first scope killer gun and killed several scopes, as did my model 52, until I put a Bullseye mounts on them.

Great gun near one hole groups at 50 yards last I shot it. Hard to beat that with a springer.

This .22, RWS version of the Diana 45, purchased from World Class Airguns (Gerry and Carol Thomas) in 1980was one of my first "adult" airguns and has served me well for over 40 years. Iirc, its big selling point was that it was guaranteed to shoot 2"
IMG_0043.1638978096.JPG
groups @" at 50 yds! Topped with a fixed 4X (that it still wears) it was my first FT rifle!

It has been refinished, rebuilt, and subsequently hand checkered by John Groenwold. The pic shows his 18 lpi hand checkering on forend, grip, and, a patch in front of the triggerguard. It is a good friend and will never be sold.

Thank you all for sharing as well. I did not realize how popular the rifle was/is. Also, until today I never knew they produced it in .22 caliber and .20 caliber. One day I would like to find one in .22 caliber. Survivor45, I saved your link on stock repair, it will come in handy for a couple others I have that have similar crack issues. 

one thing I enjoy is sharing a post every now and then on my vintage air rifles, as it is always fascinating to see what memories are triggered and what can be learned about a specific air rifle.

Thanks for sharing. I bought one of these from a member here. The stock was cracked (as advertised) at the forend where the retaining screws are. Other than that gun was cosmetically in excellent condition. I’m new to air guns so I have not opened it up yet. But I can’t get it to group very well. So one of these days I need to take it apart and hope that I can re seal it and get it shooting a little better.
If anyone is interested in how I fixed the cracked stock I did a write up in my local gun forum . Lots of photos and explanations

https://www.waguns.org/viewtopic.php?f=148&t=125221

Before
.View attachment 181107

After

.View attachment 181122

.View attachment 181127
Checked out your repair vid and would have done the same thing with two exceptions. I would have forced some modern wood glue into the crack and held pressure on it overnight. The epoxy in the screw hole was a nice touch and should help prevent another similar break. Modern wood glue is stronger than the wood itself. I would pass on the toothpicks. They are made out of Cotton wood same thing they make match sticks out of and not strong at all. I have repaired a far worse break. Years ago my nephew kept shooting my brothers Diana M34 after the rear mounting/front trigger gd. screw went missing. He absolutely shattered the stock in the wrist area. I carefully worked in slow setting wood glue into the break and pulled it back together and held it with a series of clamps etc. You could see the fix if you looked closely. I gave instructions to NOT use the gun until the screw was replaced or the stock would be ruined. Yeah, the kid went on using it and destroyed the stock. I was summoned to fix it again and told them something about all humpty dumptys men not being able to fix that one. It sat that way for almost twenty years and I recently sourced a good used stock. Still your repair came out great even if you took the long way home.

Not sure on NIB price, I only paid $50.00 for my used Beeman 250 (Diana Model 45). I would guess a NIB Model 45 would bring a substantially higher price. Would also depend on it being an early (cross pin through stock above trigger area) or a late model which has no cross pin in stock.
Thanks for the info. I need to dig those out and see what the cross pin set up is. Do you know the date ranges on the pin variation? Thx

Beeman 250 RDB Photo Cropped.jpg

Just bought This Beeman 250 from the RDB collection which he was in the process of adding a right-side cheek piece to the butt stock.
The rifle has a rear sight but missing a front sight and if anyone has a one that will fit this gun.
Please contact me. I do not want to add a muzzle brake.

I will leave the gun stock as is, I have two thoughts regarding this decision:
One is that I wish to preserve the idea which Dr. B must have had to try and improve or enhance the Diana 45 cheek piece and forearm design for his Beeman 250 line.
The second reason is: The cheek section on the stock and added cheek piece is extremely smooth and definitely ready for the color to be completed, however, I do not have any expertise in wood finishing or refinishing and afraid I will create a messy job which would be worse than just having left the stock as is!
Tony