Another “first gun” question.

Okay, I have been looking and searching but there are so many models I have no clue where to start. I purchased a Benjamin Prowler NP a few days ago and it didn’t shoot worth a crap so I returned it. We’re talking 8” groups at 20 yards. I’ve been shooting and working on guns for over 20 years so I know what to look for when shooting and what to do. I tried everything and it just wouldn’t shoot. I did like how it was light it was and how quiet and that it didn’t rely on any outside air source. I’m basically looking for something I can take walking in the woods and go plinking like an old .22. I don’t want it to be too heavy, I want it to be quiet, and I want it to shoot at least pretty good. I just want to be able to shoot and plink without spending $100 on ammo like you would a .22. I’m willing to spend around $500 for one if I have to. I was looking at the Marauder but it’s heavy and relies on a way to fill the tank. The biggest issue for that was the weight, it’s pretty heavy. I don’t know whether to get some kind of spring piston, or PCP or even where to start. I just want light, quiet, accurate and the power source is not the biggest deal. 

The HW50s is an excellent choice. I have one in .22 and one in .177 that I just got off of the classifieds to give to my dad for Father’s Day. It’s a medium size and medium power springer that would be great to carry on walks in the woods. Pair it with a nice Hawke Airmax 3-9 power scope and you’ve got a great combo. Krales has them in stock right now(I just looked) for $300.55. The shipping is usually high from Krales but they are unbelievably fast from the Netherlands. I bought three HW rifles from them in the last couple years and am amazed how they can deliver a rifle to the US so quickly. We’re talking 4-5 business days. 
Kenny

Springer guns are more difficult to shoot accurately without a good deal of trigger time, and understanding how the gun likes to be properly and consistently held. And the higher the power of a springer, the more difficult to shoot accurately.

Something like the Gamo Swarm Maxxim G2 is reasonably light, quiet and not overly sprung/powered and might fit your plinking needs. Nice price too, when you can find them in stock.

Something which, to me anyway, is a step up in quality would maybe be a Weihrauch HW30s. Heavier, but very pleasant to shoot since it has reasonable power (great for plinking). I actually like the Urban Pro kit which Airguns of Arizona sells as it comes with the 4x32 Weihrauch scope, which actually might be the very best kit scope of any I have experienced. It breaks your budget a little with the scope, but they are also available without a scope for under budget.

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/spring-piston/weihrauch-hw30s-.22-urban-pro/

One very interesting newer PCP model is the Barra 1100z, a very reasonably priced PCP rifle.

With a list price of $275 in black ($300 in camo, but you can get 10% off using discount code 'FIRSTORDER'), these guns appear (based on spec, and only a couple of on line reviews) to be an incredible value. Then buy a hand pump or a small, $300-$400 HPA pump off Amazon, and you are set. Well, when you get a scope you will be set, but you won't have to worry about a more expensive 'springer rated' scope with a PCP rifle, and you will likely be more accurate with it right out of the box.

Not much info available on the 1100z as they were just launched (at 2022 SHOT show?), but they are interesting enough to me to have bought one (arrives Friday). I don't know how this gun will carry (weight & balance), but to me it has great potential at an excellent price point. And I know that I personally shoot a PCP gun much more accurately than a springer.

https://barraairguns.com/products/the-1100z-22-black

I should also mention since you are new to spring piston air guns; stay away from the high velocity magnum springers. They are difficult to shoot well. With the budget you mentioned I would definitely be looking at all the choices in the HW lineup. The HW97k is also a terrific air rifle but it is heavy and it sound like you want a nice woods walker. The HW50s in .177 sounds like a great choice for you. 
Kenny

I was looking at the Beeman R9 originally but didn’t want to spend the money. But I have a feeling I will be spending around $600 after doing more research and seeing advice given. I’m not handcuffed to a springer, I still like the Marauder and that Barra 1100z has me somewhat interested. I can sacrifice other areas to get a more accurate gun (I’m an accuracy snob, I want the gun to shoot where I aim it). As long as it’s accurate and can be used to shoot small game and targets the rest I can work around. Should I still be looking at a springer or more towards a PCP?

That’s kind of what I was thinking. I’m a buy once cry once kind of guy and I was thinking PCP may be the way to go. I don’t mind a larger entry price to get something a little more to what I want but my whole reason for even looking at air rifles is because the good ole days of spending $7 on a box of 550 .22 LR ammo are long gone and never coming back. We used to go out walking and hunting small game and plinking all day and it didn’t cost but a few dollars. Not only that but I have a few suppressed guns and I was really drawn to how quiet an air rifle really can be. So all in all I don’t mind a higher entry price for a great shooting gun that is cheap to shoot. 

"I’m basically looking for something I can take walking in the woods and go plinking like an old .22. I don’t want it to be too heavy, I want it to be quiet, and I want it to shoot at least pretty good. I just want to be able to shoot and plink without spending $100 on ammo like you would a .22. I’m willing to spend around $500 for one if I have to. "

I think this may work for you. Very very reliable, easy to fill with air pump and easy to carry. get the Prod and invest in a folding stock and now its in your backpack!. Buy it used, its way cheaper...

https://www.crosman.com/product/benjamin-marauder-woods-walker-pcp-air-pistol-with-realtreer-apg-22-cal

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/folding-stock-for-the-prod/

~Philip

"I’m basically looking for something I can take walking in the woods and go plinking like an old .22. I don’t want it to be too heavy, I want it to be quiet, and I want it to shoot at least pretty good. I just want to be able to shoot and plink without spending $100 on ammo like you would a .22. I’m willing to spend around $500 for one if I have to. "

I think this may work for you. Very very reliable, easy to fill with air pump and easy to carry. get the Prod and invest in a folding stock and now its in your backpack!. Buy it used, its way cheaper...

https://www.crosman.com/product/benjamin-marauder-woods-walker-pcp-air-pistol-with-realtreer-apg-22-cal

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/folding-stock-for-the-prod/

~Philip

Okay I don’t know why but I never even though about a pistol……I like that one a lot! How accurate is it? If it’s pretty accurate that might be exactly what I’m looking for. 

I highly recommend a HW95 / R9 rifle in .22. It ticks all the boxes. All you need is the rifle and a tin of pellets. I have PCP's and springers. If I could only have one, it would be the HW95 and a couple of sleeves of pellets. A Hawke Airmax 3-9x32 and a BKL one piece droop mount is the cherry on top. Heirloom quality rifle good for years of service with no issues or leaks.

Better check the shots per charge for any PCP you are thinking of buying. A full size PCP may give around 50 full power shots per charge, then you are in for a lot of pumping. That you can grab a gun and a tin of pellets and you are good for a day's shooting is probably the major advantage of a springer. But springers do take some time to learn to shoot well. Some people enjoy the challenge, others don't.