• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Another fine Iron sight group

I love shooting Iron sights. I can shoot a shot string like this in half the time it takes me to shoot a shot string with a scope. I may never put a scope on my HW 77 again. It was made for iron sights, that’s why I chose it over the HW 97 or TX 200 or pro sport or any of the other high end Springers.
3A152580-4933-4342-B220-B966A2C4E871.jpeg

Wow wicked shooting. Just got a HW30 today and shot it with iron sights, 2 inch spinner at 30 yds. 1 hit out of 5. Couldn’t see it. Crow
I’m not confident any of my scopes are holding zero well enough to shoot much better than this. They shoot fine for 1000 shots or so, then they’re all over the place. I figure if I’m gonna shoot 2 inch groups at 50 yards I might as well be doing it with irons.

I’m not confident any of my scopes are holding zero well enough to shoot much better than this. They shoot fine for 1000 shots or so, then they’re all over the place. I figure if I’m gonna shoot 2 inch groups at 50 yards I might as well be doing it with irons.

What scope/mounts have you tried out of curiosity? I have two 97s, a 12ftlb .177 and a 17ftlb .22 cal. Neither have issues breaking an inch at 50 and both break half inch frequently, especially the 22. The 22 feels like cheating when I break that out haha

I use the RWS Lockdown mount on my .22 97K and it hasn't moved at all. I think I paid like $17 for it. I have seen reports of those Vantage scopes not holding zero well though and I did have a Hawke Sidewinder that wouldn't hold zero on snappier guns (worked fine on the 97s though). That being said, more than a few people here on AGN swear by the Vantage line so it may just be a luck of the draw thing.

The RWS mount that I mentioned probably wouldn't work with the Vantage come to think of it. I think the tube is too short as the RWS requires a minimum of like 4.8". If that is the case I also use those cheap UTG one piece mounts ($15ish) without fail as well. I usually add a shim or two to the rear ring to keep the scope close to optically centered.

Just a thought... not sure if any of that will help or not but figured it was worth sharing. Good lucky either way and great shooting again especially for irons!

Reactions: UncleB
reflective orange paint for spinners is my "cure " , but i am shooting into a wall covered in leaves .
Right now i am shooting with a crossman rear diopter , i want to upgrade . I will see what if any offered @ NC air show next weekend or drive an hour to Champions Choice
HAHAHA drive 7.5 hour and stay in a hotel to a show or drive an hour to a shop I love being retired .

I am getting more iron in my diet too. It has its downside - I am turning into a fussy diva with the upgraded diopter. I reach for this more than my scoped TX200 HC, I don't think I am any faster vs. the scope. But I do enjoy shooting it more, not sure why...could be just another phase.

View attachment 299290
Irons definitely have pluses, less weight, no related scope issues and springers look cool without a scope.

Reactions: UncleB