Other Another complaint, 20 Caliber?

Just in the last few months as i started doing some work again for others ... have done 3 caliber conversions for customers going .20 caliber ;)
In all 3 cases the reports coming back have been nothing short of extremely positive !!!

As a HUGE fan of the caliber for the 12-30 fpe power range, it simply gets the job done with less fuss than .177 or .22 generally.

@L.Leon

Some strong words from somebody who hasn't ever experienced a .20. And that's the message it seems like @Long_Gun_Dallas was trying to convey. Easy for .20 to not be popular with their limited availability.

My .20 journey began about 6 years ago, at least in part, by reading @Motorhead talk about its ballistics superiority in the game of field target, at just under 20fpe. I've now had a total of 4 different .20 guns and can confirm that the .20/13.73 has the highest BC of any pellet under 20fpe. And in the 30fpe realm, the .20/15.89 has the highest BC of any pellet currently in production.

3 of the 4 guns required me to pay a machinist to make it happen. "The market has spoken" is on the manufacturer side, not the shooter side. The .20 would be more popular if it was more available and more people could experience for themselves that it is simply better than current .177 and .22 pellets in the 20 and 30fpe ranges.

My opinion is coming from someone who chose to compete with a .20 at American Field Target at EBR last year, and placed in the money with that .20. The lowly .20, at only 29fpe, outscored a whole lotta .22s that were putting out roughly double the fpe. I chose the JSB .20 Heavy because it has greater precision than the most common long range .22 pellet, the Monster RD. Or at least it did with the guns and pellet batches I had available to me at the time. Now, go to the .25/34 and they'll beat the tar out of the .20/15.89. Those .25/34s don't seem to have the issues that the .22/25.4 MRDs do.

Last summer I was consistently exterminating prairie dogs with the .20/15.89 out to 150yards, and witnessed by more than one individual, not just claiming to have done so. I've dropped starlings and euro doves out of the tops of the old dead cottonwoods behind my house at 160 yards with that .20/15.89, and not just a few times. I could go on and on with personal experiences of what the .20 is capable of.

At 20 and 30fpe, the .20 is simply better than a .177 and .22, that are also putting out 20 and 30fpe. And I'm willing to stand behind that in any sort of comparison somebody would like to see or do.

I would love to have a .22/60fpe pellet that shoots as accurately at long range as the .20 Heavy does at 30fpe, and does so as consistently, but the pellet manufacturers are struggling in that regard.

I'm one of the .20s biggest supporters, and that's b/c I've seen what it can do with my own eyes. More shooters would feel the same if more manufacturers were making .20s.
To add a little to a well said post... @Franklink and I have collaborated on a lot of testing and ideas and the 20 cal is among them. We have both tested pretty carefully and documented some of it here on AGN. As he has said, @ 20 ft lb, the 20 cal 13.7s have the lowest drag. This has been corroborated by others on here as well. Add to that that the old barrels I had on hand were ALL wonderful and we have some truly amazing and enjoyable airgun experiences.

I don't think anyone has said that a person can't live without one or that you need to go find one to be complete. I'm just grateful to own them and that JSB has made such great ammo. As a side note, I still have some Premier, 20 cal, 14.3s. They are EVERY BIT as good as the JSB's and possibly even better. Would be nice if Cros/Benj reintroduced them.

Seems like I read where Ed Wackerhagen, co-founder of Sheridan, was dissatisfied with the current offerings and set out to build a truly superior air rifle. He chose 20 cal because he considered the ammo to be a big part of the problem and since no one else made any, he could control the outcome for his very expensive and well built rifles. I don't believe there was any marketing of superiority of the 20 cal... only a combination of attributes of the 177 and 22 that were currently available.

Now Dr Beeman was a master marketer and made more than a few statements of its superiority. I definitely succumbed to a lot of his marketing early on but not that one.

Just some thoughts flying around in my head...

Bob

Just as an FYI .... ( So date stamp this as to when said as years go by )

As many of us know who can do barrel machining & retrofits, the cost of barrel blanks has gone up @ 50% these past 5 years or so. ( Lothar Walther in particular ) leaving a sour taste in our mouths & more doubtful to justifying the cost of re-barreling projects :unsure:

Point to made is this ... As too the .20 cal 12g choked 16mm blanks we are currently receiving are ABSOLUTELY FABULOUS in the quality and bore consistency !!!! So as of this point in time, if wishing to rebarrel to a .20 the likelihood of getting a Great barrel is upon us !!
How long the QC / Tooling keeps up this high quality is any ones guess.

Scott S

What I do not get is this ,why say anything if you do not like .20? As the testament here reflects many people love it ,why piss in our cereal , we need to support each other,it ain't hurtin nobody if we love .20cal.
True. And I like 20 caliber to. Don’t have many though. But a lot of new members here should hear all the pros and cons before taking a leap. Isn’t that what it’s all about?

What I do not get is this ,why say anything if you do not like .20? As the testament here reflects many people love it ,why piss in our cereal , we need to support each other,it ain't hurtin nobody if we love .20cal.

ROTFLMAO!

My older sis is a sociology major and I asked her about that kind of behavior a while back. She said that people have an innate need to divide and discriminate. That it's part of our nature.

"That ain't a good truck because it's only a Toyota and I have a Chevy, or a Kawi ain't a good bike because it ain't a Harley". I remember the Mercedes crowd looking down on others at the trap range because we only had Remingtons, but the clays still got broken. The liter-bike crowd at track days looking down at the smaller bike riders (until we repeatedly passed them).

I've long been a fan of the .20 and the thinking behind it. If someone has a problem with that, then I offer them both sympathy and amusement. The problem is theirs. I am thankful that they've identified themsevles as someone that I'd rather not associate with. We is what we is.

Cheers,

J~

Because of the Masonic conspiracy behind it. Wackerhagen and Beeman were trying to cram this sinister 5mm caliber down our throats to get us away from traditional .177 and .22 caliber rifles and further their heliocentric, one caliber goals of airgun domination. It's also why Benjamin air rifles were stamped "Benjamin Franklin" and early Crosmans had an octagonal receiver, so if you like it you're one of them.