Another beginner question - pls be gentle

As the proud owner of my first air rifle (R7 in .177) I’m going to wear you guys out with questions. As I don’t have a local mentor, a lot of my info comes from YouTube which is scary. I’m glad I found this forum!
l’ve got 100 shots thru the R7 and I absolutely love the rifle. Waiting on a scope but irons are dialed in I’m getting astonishing groups at 10 yds, glasses and all. My question - when I cock the rifle it’s smooth and virtually silent. When I close the rifle, if I don’t lift too hard, it latches up perfectly. But, if I close the rifle more aggressively it‘s as if the barrel rebounds and instead of closing in correct alignment, the bbl drops down a few degrees and droops. Obviously I need to not close with as much force but is this a problem with the rifle or only a problem with technique? Thanks for being patient with me.

None of my breakbarrels have done that, but there should be a nut right at the barrel pivot point. If that's too loose, it could cause what you've described.

Don't overtighten it. Nothing bad will happen, it will just be harder to cock and harder to close. One of those things you'll just have to readjust every so often.

Keep the questions coming!!

TX,
Welcome and don't hesitate to ask questions, plenty here willing to help. Just a safety reminder, make sure when cocking the gun to keep a grip on the barrel, never let it hang loose, this will protect you and the gun from damage should the securing mechanism fail. Nothing suggests you're not doing this already, just wanted to put this out there just in case. WM

Welcome to the club! You'll get good info here. I have an R9, similar design to yours. In my experience It takes some authority when closing it, and it should crisply lock up tight. You won't hurt it by being brisk with it. Check all screws on any springer since they tend to loosen more so than other types of airguns because of the type of weird back-then-forward recoil they have. I suspect the cocking lever pivot bolt as well. regards, Badger

You already show wisdom, Grasshopper: ditching social media for a real forum! 😀

If the issue doesn't settle out fairly quickly, you might indeed need to adjust the breech pivot tension (the big round slotted bolt head on either side of the breech), a slightly awkward "three handed" job. The head on the left side (left as seen from shooting position) is the actual bolt; the identical-looking head on the right is a lock nut. First adjust the bolt, then - while still holding the bolt in position - use a second screwdriver to take up any resulting slack in the lock nut.

Important: always use only properly fit, parallel-sided gunsmith screwdriver bits. Don't even keep tapered-blade hardware-store screwdrivers in the same room with your guns. A Brownells or Wheeler set is a great investment if you don't have 'em already.

As a test - cock the gun, then raise the barrel halfway up and let it go. If the breech jaws hold it there, that's a little TOO tight. Back off just enough that you feel a little drag, and of course see no side-to-side wobble.

Last edited:
I think that model still uses the ball detent. If the detent doesn't pull the barel back into position after a little rebound from closing too hard, the pivot may be adjusted a bit too tight. I adjust it so that wiith the gun cocked and the stock vertical, the barrel will just barely hold position when placed horizontal. You might also try a drop of good synthetic oil each side of the pivot.

Reactions: Feinwerk
Congratulations on the great little plinker! The R7/HW30S latches on a ball rather than the wedge system used by pretty much every other gun out there, including the 30S's bigger brother the HW50S. Making sure your pivot point is properly tightened absolutely does help but you really do just need to be more careful when closing the gun I have found. When shooting from a bag, slide the gun into the rest as well. Plopping it down a little too hard can crack the barrel open ever so slightly too. Once you're used to those two minor inconveniences, the gun is virtually flawless and will keep pace with more expensive guns out to 30yds. On a calm day, mine will keep pace out to 50yds no problem.