Annual Thanksgiving Holiday Hunt

Ozark

Mar 31, 2019
MO
Every year my buddy comes back into town for Thanksgiving and we plan for a day out Squirrel Hunting. This year we stayed local and were granted permission to local Farms in the area so we spent the day Farm Hopping in the search for Grey Squirrels.

We ended up passing up a lot of Fox Squirrels on the first Farm, but after the 2nd and 3rd Farm we hunted will little to no Grey Squirrel Activity it was time to start Harvesting the Fox Squirrels.

We ended up Harvesting a few Greys and around 4 Fox before calling it an early day to share some glasses of Blantons Whiskey he brought in. All in all these Annual Hunts are always something we both look forward to every year.

This year I set him up with a Compact Impact in .25 Caliber and I sported a Custom Crown that I had completed a day prior. After hunting with the Crown for the first time I really enjoyed the more Traditional Feel of that rifle and was very impressed with the .25 Caliber 12.5" TJ Barrel shooting the Hades.

Screenshot_20231127-120841_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231127-120911_Gallery.jpg

honestly, its hard to beat a compact crown when hunting !!
my mk2 300cc bottle, 380mm barrel in .22 is amazingly accurate with 18.1 jsb @ 965fps
out to 100yrds with correct H.O.
i dont click for distance.
i get about 2+ mags worth from the bottle, thats plenty when hunting squirrel. :sneaky:

Last edited:
Reactions: Ozark
Congrats on a successful hunt. What a great way to spend he holiday!
That Crown looks like the hot setup. What kind of velocity are you getting from the short barrel?
and what is that BIG ol can on there? donny fl? Both of those rifles look real fine. I do like the compacts!
I haven't had time to test it yet. I did a quick tune/zero on the Crown the morning of our hunt. I have them running at 840fps and that's plenty of power for how I like to hunt.

This build isn't build for long range. I like to get in close when hunting and wait for a perfect shot within 30 yards.

honestly, its hard to beat a compact crown when hunting !!
my mk2 300cc bottle, 380mm barrel in .22 is amazingly accurate with 18.1 jsb @ 965fps
out to 100yrds with correct H.O.
i dont click for distance.
i get about 2+ mags worth from the bottle, thats plenty when hunting squirrel. :sneaky:
Yeah it's hard to beat a good compact rifle for woods hunting! 2 Mags is plenty. The daily limit for squirrel in MO is 10, but I rarely harvest that any in a day as I don't want to deplete the squirrels on the farms I have access to.

Nice hunt boss! Great looking Crown you got there, gotta love a carbine.

Are fox squirrels the dominate species where you reside? Was just wondering if that's why you were seeking greys.

When I squirrel hunt, I don't segregate, I shoot whatever tree rat comes along. Again, just curious, not being critical.
In the areas I hunt its usually a 50/50 mix between Grey and Fox.

I just enjoy the challenge of hunting Grey's. They tend to stick to the wooded areas and if they realize that you are present you might as well move on because they won't stop running until they hit the next county. It takes more of a hunting approach when pursuing them.

Fox Squirrels are lazy. They are definitely the easier species of the 2 to Harvest.

Also for me I eat the squirrels that I harvest and Fox Squirrels are a pain to skin compared to Grey's.

Wait…You all are talking about the rifles and the hunting…What about the Blantons?!! Here in Arizona that stuff is hard to find and one of my favorites🥃

Now back to rifles and hunting.

Tony P
Haha! My buddy worked for the Largest Liquor Distributor in the USA and just said hey come pick out a Bottle from the back of his truck when got to my place. Little did I know I picked up a pretty hard to find Whiskey.

I'm more of a can of beer type of guy, but really starting to enjoy a good bourbon once in awhile.