• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Annual Holiday Squirrel Hunt

Your Favorite Squirrel to Hunt?

• Total voters

Ozark

Mar 31, 2019
MO
For the Past 3 Years my buddy comes in for the holidays to see his family that still calls my neck of the woods home and we plan out a day for Squirrel Hunting. This year worked out perfect! The weather leading up to our planned day to go out chasing Fox and Grey Squirrel was on/off rain and wind, but the day of our scheduled hunt the wind calmed down and the sun came out! (Perfect 57°F Overcast Day)

We didn't up starting our hunt until around 1pm, but the action started quickly! The first trail we took was an open wooded area with cow pasture on both sides. Spotted 2 Fox Squirrel ahead on the trail chasing one another and didn't mind or just didn't see us as we walked up. We both got our sticks ready and we're lucky enough to harvest both squirrels at the same time. Very exciting start to our day!

We ventured on getting another fox squirrel while we made our way to the new trail my buddy had made for us on the backside of the property using his Skid (nice wide trail that winded all back in the thick woods up and down hill sides). This was the perfect spot to catch some Grey's put and about. We walked from the Pasture and into the trail head about 10 yards and spotted a few Greys on the ground sifting through the leaves. We decided to split up and stalk individually with the chance to harvest a few each. That's when the action began!

As we were standing about 30 yards apart in a Oak/Hickory patch the barking started! And as soon as it began it all ended, my buddy shot 4 Grey's in about a span of 3 minutes. All I heard was his Impact popping shots and squirrels hitting the forest floor. All while I'm just trying to get a shot on one up in the crotch of an Oak.

I finally was able to slowly move to an angle to get a shot and took it. Nice easy shot at around 45 yards. As moved slowly forward I heard a whistle come from my buddy followed with a hand gesture and him mouthing, "look up". I slowly looked up and saw this mature Grey about 20 foot above my head looking straight down at me.... I thought, well I finally get to take the shot I had been practicing for earlier in the fall (I would find a walnut tree and take multiple shots at different angles on the walnuts to gather data on how far to hold over). The practiced finally paid off! We both got a laugh after the shot was taken and the Squirrel fell out of the tree nearly landing on me. If I would have had more time I would have opened my Pack, Took the Shot, Took 2 Steps forward, and let the grey drop straight in my pack! (Would have gotten some style points on that move haha)

We finished up the afternoon getting a chance at couple more Grey Squirrels and then headed back to the truck before it got dark and sasquacht came out to clame our game bag. It's always a good day to get out and Squirrel hunt, it's an even better day to have some laughs, chase the greys, and catch up with an old friend.

I won't get into all of the squirrels I missed shots on! I would blame my rifle, but we all know how capable a finely tuned FX Impact is at getting on target. Especially when the targets are only 55-70 yards.... a few Rushed Shots and Badly Timed shots!

SETUPS USED

FX Impact .22 600mm Superior Standard
NSA 28.5gr @ 960fps
Athlon Ares 4.5x27
Magpul MS4 Sling
PoleCat Shooting Sticks
Vortex Range Finder

FX Impact .25 500mm Superior Standard
JSB Hades @ 880fps
Arken SH4 6x24 Gen 2
Magpul MS4 Sling
PoleCat Shooting Sticks
Leupold Range Finder

Last edited:
Screenshot_20221201-151816_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221201-151811_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20221201-151715_Gallery.jpg
20221125_161601.jpg

Mid 50s this morning and dead calm. Hit the woods around 7am and not much movement till about 8am. Went to a co-worker of my wife's who needs squirrels knocked down from damaging their cars by chewing wires. They have about 7 acres of woods that never gets hunted and has plenty of hardwoods and cedars. Right off the bat a doe is letting me know she is not happy with me in the woods by bleeting as she runs away.

Finally start seeing squirrels but they are 40-50 yards out and active as all get out. Lot of underbrush and fully leaved trees. Finally connect on one and secure it in the game bag. Head to some new area and plenty of them running around, they just won't sit still for a second.

It is like a switch went off and nothing is moving in the woods around 9am. Found this cool looking mushroom. Start heading to the valley and kick up that noisy doe again. She bolts when I try to get a picture.

Start heading out of the woods and give the small patch in front of their house a try. Pick 3 off. Now it's getting warm and the mosquitos are coming out. Time to call it. Longest squirrel was 20" from nose to meat of the tail tip.

Used a Taipan Veteran Standard in .22 shooting H&N 15.8 Baracudas at around 890 fps. Weaver Grand Slam Tactical 3-10×40 mildot scope. Primos Trigger tall bipod stick.

20230527_090616.jpg

20230527_100659.jpg

20230527_100743.jpg

20230527_100810.jpg