Announcing the FX Impact MKII w/ FX Power Plenum

How does this affect loudness of the rifle? At an equal muzzle energy does the loudness change?

I'm interested in hearing this answer also.

Have tested all caliber and didn’t notice any gain in loudness shooting at the same speeds and ammo. In comparison with older impact. Using same amount of air volume to reach a set speed so the vacuum blast at the muzzle will be the same if using the same length barrel, shroud and moderator.

Anybody know what changes were made to the valve house and seat, I know the changes made from Mk1 to MK2, but what about Mk2 to this?

I just bought my Impact, I knew a new version as in the works. I was afraid they would've enlarged the breech/magazine to accommodate longer slugs thus making me regret my Mk2 purchase.

Mk2 Power Plenum has a dedicated valve housing that has a milled 6.30 bore but located closer to the TP, also has a dedicated valve rod, these two parts are not interchangeable with older impact.

I would very much doubt you will increase the shot count a huge amount, I will accept that when I see it in person!

I personally tested all the shot count in all caliber, hand written all the # Yes I was totally supersized/shock I mean the guns was straight from the gun case — no tuning from me and you know I love to tune. After the gun was off the reg — bottle and plenum has equalized i got 6-10 shots more that are within the ES and no I didn’t add those to the total shot count. 

I would very much doubt you will increase the shot count a huge amount, I will accept that when I see it in person!

I personally tested all the shot count in all caliber, hand written all the # Yes I was totally supersized/shock I mean the guns was straight from the gun case — no tuning from me and you know I love to tune. After the gun was off the reg — bottle and plenum has equalized i got 6-10 shots more that are within the ES and no I didn’t add those to the total shot count.

Thank you Sr. for clarifying that. Thank you for all your contributions that you have helped so many of us with. 👍 💪

sniperlabyo

So the question still remains, by what percentage, everything else being equal, did the shot count increase? I’d be most interested in .30 caliber. A well tuned Impact .30 caliber with 480cc bottle shooting at 78 FPE gets approx 40 shots from a 250 bar fill. Thanks!

sniperlabyo

So the question still remains, by what percentage, everything else being equal, did the shot count increase? I’d be most interested in .30 caliber. Thanks!

Most likely its the new valve rod design, with the old rod spring its in the plenum tube and its not adjustable with the new the rod return spring is located in the valve travel limiter and yes the rubber ball has been replaced with a heavy spring that you can adjust the shot counts and ES, now you can’t run the speed to low to jam an ammo, the speed variations is limited to 50-75FPS so if you crack on the spring the valve will shut faster to limit wasted air.

Anybody know what changes were made to the valve house and seat, I know the changes made from Mk1 to MK2, but what about Mk2 to this?

I just bought my Impact, I knew a new version as in the works. I was afraid they would've enlarged the breech/magazine to accommodate longer slugs thus making me regret my Mk2 purchase.

Mk2 Power Plenum has a dedicated valve housing that has a milled 6.30 bore but located closer to the TP, also has a dedicated valve rod, these two parts are not interchangeable with older impact.

So if I read it right are you saying that Impact MK2 and impact MK2.5 with power plenum have the same MILLED internal diameters and clearances??

so that means if I have a Impact MK2 if I buy the power plenum upgrade kit and install it, it will be exactly the same as a impact MK2.5? Same internally?

thanks Ernest. 

So if I read it right are you saying that Impact MK2 and impact MK2.5 with power plenum have the same MILLED internal diameters and clearances??

so that means if I have a Impact MK2 if I buy the power plenum upgrade kit and install it, it will be exactly the same as a impact MK2.5? Same internally?

thanks Ernest.

Yes and NO !!! The milled seat is closer to the TP so the flow of air has a faster exit. If you used the old rod in the power plenum the end of the rod will stick out in the mag slot and block the mag and the 2.2X1 oring will not be seated. 

I would be the first to admit I was wrong on this issue and that massive shot count increases did result, I own a few of these guns afterall!

Point 1 for me is this; my .30 Crown, my IMPACT AND my .30 Redwolf SAFARI all give very similar shot counts with the same 480cc bottle, similar reg pressures etc. etc. (programming upper lower limits on the RW the same as a mechanical reg in reality) for very similar velocities with the same projectile and the same barrel lengths, (600mm on each).

Point 2 is then, that as from personal experience above, is the IMPACT currently very inneficient? if so then the valving etc. on the Crown and the Redwolf must also be as inneficient otherwise there would already be a large disparity amongst them as far as shot count goes for the same parameters (does that even make sense?).

So if FX have discovered a way to make the IMPACT more efficient by increasing the plenum, changing the valving etc. surely this can be done with other guns as well?

As was said earlier I cant see how basic physics can be defeated here, volume is volume, be it 30cc at 250 bar used per shot or 30cc at 150 bar, but how does the system itself utilise the same volume at a lower pressure more efficiently? unless as I said it was very innefficeint in the first place?

If Ernest says it can be done then who am I to question it? I just cant get my head around it! but its 3am here on New Years day and I lay awake wondering how this all works!

Its all getting quite exciting anyways!

thanks Ernest.

Yes and NO !!! The milled seat is closer to the TP so the flow of air has a faster exit. If you used the old rod in the power plenum the end of the rod will stick out in the mag slot and block the mag and the 2.2X1 oring will not be seated.

in stock and ready for guns coming in for the upgrade 

I would be the first to admit I was wrong on this issue and that massive shot count increases did result, I own a few of these guns afterall!

Point 1 for me is this; my .30 Crown, my IMPACT AND my .30 Redwolf SAFARI all give very similar shot counts with the same 480cc bottle, similar reg pressures etc. etc. (programming upper lower limits on the RW the same as a mechanical reg in reality) for very similar velocities with the same projectile and the same barrel lengths, (600mm on each).

Point 2 is then, that as from personal experience above, is the IMPACT currently very inneficient? if so then the valving etc. on the Crown and the Redwolf must also be as inneficient otherwise there would already be a large disparity amongst them as far as shot count goes for the same parameters (does that even make sense?).

So if FX have discovered a way to make the IMPACT more efficient by increasing the plenum, changing the valving etc. surely this can be done with other guns as well?

As was said earlier I cant see how basic physics can be defeated here, volume is volume, be it 30cc at 250 bar used per shot or 30cc at 150 bar, but how does the system itself utilise the same volume at a lower pressure more efficiently? unless as I said it was very innefficeint in the first place?

If Ernest says it can be done then who am I to question it? I just cant get my head around it! but its 3am here on New Years day and I lay awake wondering how this all works!

Its all getting quite exciting anyways!

my point of view—-> it’s the volume of air within the plenum, the larger the volume less rainbow affect in the relation to the pressure that pass through the valve when open, so if pressure is maintain at a higher pressure while the valve is open more volume of air will travel through out the barrel length to push the projectile faster, to slow down the speed the reg pressure has to be lowered. Its not true with a small plenum—-the pressure will drop faster when valve is open so it has a large rainbow affect resulting less volume of air to fill the barrel most likely the projectile already started to slow down before leaving the barrel, the larger plenum projectile still increasing Speed before leaving the barrel. Using lower reg pressure more shot count matted to a well designed valving to minimized wasted air more shot count. 

Ernest 

Maybe I’m slow, but I’m not “getting” the point of the past two pages of this post? Of course a larger plenum increases efficiency and allows lower pressure for the same power. This is nothing new and has been demonstrated for years with Crickets and EDguns. But I think the initial comments questioned some reports claiming 100% increase in shot count with same fill pressure and same power. That would pretty much go against the laws of physics IMHO. Anyway, in the near future when the Mk2.5 Impacts are available there will be independent posts showing actual results... and perhaps I’ll need some hot sauce to put on my helping of crow, but I seriously doubt it. 

I’ve heard several people claim fpe increase just off of porting, maybe the porting is more efficient. Instead of shooting the gun to 150bar then filling up you have another 40bar to play with. I look at it like porting an engine, even just a simple cleanup job can make a big difference especially if you match all your porting. 

It’s just a thought, I could be crazy! 

I posted and then deleted later that day a CAD drawing of this plenum design here on April-25-2019. It was first copied and produced by Michal Osyda in Poland and then by FX.

One other forum member claimed to have seen this design years ago but couldn't offer even the slightest proof. Other forum members do remember my original post. If FX had this design before Aril-25-2019 they would not have retooled for the insignificant 5cc increase of the MKII

I'm glad they produced the design but I'm disappointed that they didn't thank me for my contributions, which was all I asked of him.

MOD EDIT: REMOVED INSULTS

What’s the volume in this plenum?

Somehow this post got steered into a fruitless debate about shot count, so let me bring it back around to the beginning for a moment. The simple fact is that FX Airguns has taken a tried and true principle of airgun tuning and actually put it into production! FX Airguns has actually taken the proven pcp tuning trick of using a High Volume of air at Low Pressure and manufactured a Power Plenum upgrade to its FX Impact rifle! And if that isn't enough, they generously designed it so that it may be retrofitted to just about all of the previous models which they did not have to do.

They could just as easily have come out with a brand new version sporting this new Power Plenum and named it the "Impact MKIII". It could have been designed so that the new Power Plenum was totally proprietary to the new gun, and impossible to be retrofitted to any of the older models... and don't believe for a second that idea didn't occur to their marketing people. But FX generously designed and produced the new Power Plenums so they could in fact be retrofitted to most earlier models. That in itself is cause for our praise and our gratitude.

But most importantly of all, this is an air rifle that by simply using this new larger plenum can achieve power levels heretofore only accomplished with a great deal of tuning and modifications. For example, I went shooting my new .30 Impact MKII today, and I thought for a few minutes about the differences between this new .30 Impact and the .30 Wildcat I had before. By using every tuning trick possible, I was able to get the .30 Wildcat shooting the Hatsan 44.75 pellets accurately at around 86-90 ft lbs energy...and believe me it takes a hell of a lot of time and expertise to accomplish that feat. Whereas with this new .30 Impact and an aftermarket power plenum, I sat there today shooting my Hatsan Vortex 44.75 pellets out of my slug liner with effortless accuracy, at an average velocity of 1026 ft/s which equals 105 ft lbs energy!

Not very long ago I would have thought it was a miracle to get these pellets up to that power level! And if that isn't impressive enough, without changing my power settings at all, I shot some NSA 61.5gr Hollow Points at an average velocity of 920 ft/s which equals 115 ft lbs energy! The really wonderful thing about this is that with my gun set up this particular way I can also just load up some NSA 49.5gr Hollow Points and they shoot them at an average velocity of 1000 ft/s which equals 110 ft lbs energy! And the really cool thing is that at 50 yards all three hit at just about the same point of aim as the Hatsan pellets do. This means I can switch from shooting the pellets at 105 fpe, to the 49.5gr HP at 110 fpe, or the 61.5gr at 115 fpe without touching my Power Wheel or Valve Pin Adjuster or my scope settings! WooHoo!

And guess what boys and girls? This Impact MKII with a power plenum will do all that and it will give you more shots into the bargain...not less!!! And people are worrying themselves senseless over exactly how many more shots? Are you guys kidding me? The point is that you get LOTS MORE POWER and LOTS MORE SHOTS without having to sacrifice a ton of shots to do so! Normally you would have to pay for all that extra power by trading away a hell of a lot of shots...but now you do not have to lose shots you actually gain more shots! 

How many more? For crying out loud that depends on a handful of different possible settings on any one given rifle. Some of you people put me in mind of little baby birds sitting in the nest with their mouths wide open screaming for MORE! MORE! MORE! If I had ever gotten ALL THIS POWER and even one more shot after tuning any other airgun I would feel like I had either performed a miracle or pulled a rabbit out of my hat!

Once again I say, THANK YOU FRED and JOHAN AXELSSON and FX AIRGUNS FOR MAKING THE MOST AMAZING AIR RIFLE IN THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE! 😃

Always the best, Chuck

Somehow this post got steered into a fruitless debate about shot count, so let me bring it back around to the beginning for a moment. The simple fact is that FX Airguns has taken a tried and true principle of airgun tuning and actually put it into production! FX Airguns has actually taken the proven pcp tuning trick of using a High Volume of air at Low Pressure and manufactured a Power Plenum upgrade to its FX Impact rifle! And if that isn't enough, they generously designed it so that it may be retrofitted to just about all of the previous models which they did not have to do.

They could just as easily have come out with a brand new version sporting this new Power Plenum and named it the "Impact MKIII". It could have been designed so that the new Power Plenum was totally proprietary to the new gun, and impossible to be retrofitted to any of the older models... and don't believe for a second that idea didn't occur to their marketing people. But FX generously designed and produced the new Power Plenums so they could in fact be retrofitted to most earlier models. That in itself is cause for our praise and our gratitude.

But most importantly of all, this is an air rifle that by simply using this new larger plenum can achieve power levels heretofore only accomplished with a great deal of tuning and modifications. For example, I went shooting my new .30 Impact MKII today, and I thought for a few minutes about the differences between this new .30 Impact and the .30 Wildcat I had before. By using every tuning trick possible, I was able to get the .30 Wildcat shooting the Hatsan 44.75 pellets accurately at around 86-90 ft lbs energy...and believe me it takes a hell of a lot of time and expertise to accomplish that feat. Whereas with this new .30 Impact and an aftermarket power plenum, I sat there today shooting my Hatsan Vortex 44.75 pellets out of my slug liner with effortless accuracy, at an average velocity of 1026 ft/s which equals 105 ft lbs energy!

Not very long ago I would have thought it was a miracle to get these pellets up to that power level! And if that isn't impressive enough, without changing my power settings at all, I shot some NSA 61.5gr Hollow Points at an average velocity of 920 ft/s which equals 115 ft lbs energy! The really wonderful thing about this is that with my gun set up this particular way I can also just load up some NSA 49.5gr Hollow Points and they shoot them at an average velocity of 1000 ft/s which equals 110 ft lbs energy! And the really cool thing is that at 50 yards all three hit at just about the same point of aim as the Hatsan pellets do. This means I can switch from shooting the pellets at 105 fpe, to the 49.5gr HP at 110 fpe, or the 61.5gr at 115 fpe without touching my Power Wheel or Valve Pin Adjuster or my scope settings! WooHoo!

And guess what boys and girls? This Impact MKII with a power plenum will do all that and it will give you more shots into the bargain...not less!!! And people are worrying themselves senseless over exactly how many more shots? Are you guys kidding me? The point is that you get LOTS MORE POWER and LOTS MORE SHOTS without having to sacrifice a ton of shots to do so! Normally you would have to pay for all that extra power by trading away a hell of a lot of shots...but now you do not have to lose shots you actually gain more shots! 

How many more? For crying out loud that depends on a handful of different possible settings on any one given rifle. Some of you people put me in mind of little baby birds sitting in the nest with their mouths wide open screaming for MORE! MORE! MORE! If I had ever gotten ALL THIS POWER and even one more shot after tuning any other airgun I would feel like I had either performed a miracle or pulled a rabbit out of my hat!

Once again I say, THANK YOU FRED and JOHAN AXELSSON and FX AIRGUNS FOR MAKING THE MOST AMAZING AIR RIFLE IN THE ENTIRE UNIVERSE! 
1f603.svg

Always the best, Chuck

100% agree with you Chuck.