• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Animals are getting smarter...

So lately I've been going outside for some plinking maybe small game shooting too (Squirrels, birds, etc...) Whenever I go outside my neighbors have tons of animals in their back yards but mine is always empty. I guess they got the hint but man is that disappointing, and there's no real line of sight to get a kill in a neighbors yard even though our houses are not fenced and have the same wood line still no good LOS. Damn animals got smart to not sit on the trees in my back yard lol. 

When he first got married my brother lived in the top floor of a row house. Across the street was another house just like his. Pigeons were sitting on the peak.

One early Sunday morning I was by the window and he was sitting against the opposite wall with his .22. He had me _slowly_ open the window (no screen). DINK! One of the pigeons rolls off the roof and falls onto the door stoop below. Just then this old lady came out, dressed for church. She screamed, went back inside, and was hollering something to her husband.

The first pigeon falling down didn't disturb the other one 1' away. DINK! It rolls down and lands right beside the first one. And then she comes back out!!!

We were laughing so hard, and then the husband came out and kicked them off the stoop so she could pass.

Animals might be smart in your neighborhood, but these were two dumb pigeons.

Andy

yep .. that happens when they realize their buddies get blown apart every time they cross a certain line lol ... learns um quick .. you must leave no survivors, thats the trick lol ... on the more serious side though i use that priciple to my advantage around the chickens and garden .. sometimes just taking one predator out or 'butshooting' one is more effective than declaring all out war .. or like with crows in your garden, try to pick out the dominant one and dust him - walk out and nail his as to a fence post while the others are fussing and watching .. theyll 'get it' lol ...

@scmaddness, gives critters in your yard a pass for a good long while and they will come back. When I'm plinking or target shooting in my backyard I have many critters coming through. Some might or might not be shot, most are use to me shooting regularly and are not alarmed by it. You neighbors yards have more critters because they're not killing them? Try and find a dairy or local farm as they will have a lot of pests for you to shoot.

AA3F23A2-5C26-4AF4-93D7-607A1236A703.1630638613.jpeg

Just plant some walnut threes....I have four in my backyard....

Every year the squirrels were creating a big F mess around the threes until I got home from work, but last year and this year I am "working from home"....

My recycle bins are always full in the middle of the week, and the branches hanging all down to the ground soo much walnuts saved.

Also my new cat have some fun as well chasing the game, but she cannot climb the threes and the fences as quickly and here comes my .22 JSB to shine. 

And here comes the interesting part...

I clear the entire clan in couple days and then is a quiet for couple days until the neighbour clans start conquering the "empty territory". Bonanza again for couple days, then quiet again....until the next generation comes in to play...the entire August was like this ...coming in waves of 6-10 nicely one by one starting from early morning all to late afternoon...and raccoon's overnight ;)

As much as I'd enjoy getting rid of them, I have a real problem with inviting rats into the neighborhood!

Walnut trees take too long to grow - but filberts would work (I investigated them as a wind break).

Between the coyotes, foxes, and my neighbor (squirrel-ivores all) I'd probably not have much opportunity to clear them out.

Watching the dog chase them was always fun, but she chased them into the neighbor's yard and he solved the problem.

Andy

I wanted to clear the yard of starlings. One day I sat in my hide and picked off about 2 dozen. Then I displayed them on the deck for a week. I didn't see another starling at the feeders for years. I tried it with raccoons, but they paid the dead no mine and kept destroying the garden and bird feeders.

I've also found I can shoot hosps and the other birds don't fly away. It's as if they know they aren't being targeted.

Yes, animals are getting smarter.

But every few months a fresh brood of dumb ones is born.

And this I find good.

It's always refreshing when a fresh brood of pigeons hatches, finds a partner, and looks to build their first nest.

In search for a nesting site they land in the most lethal spots on my permissions, where not a single pigeons has dared to land in half a year! 🤣

Matthias

Last year I had a band of squirrels that spied on me 
338E3ED2-2575-4FD1-8A6A-1C9DDA80A41A.1630774012.jpeg
 I swear. They would sit in spruce tree on left and look through window. When they saw movement, gone. 
Same as this window on other side of house. They 
CA659323-D93F-4130-B9CF-D1BD8C1BB432.1630774274.jpeg
 watch me from maple tree. Could see in living room up there. I know it sounds crazy, but it’s true. My wife and I saw them up there several times. Hesitated writing this. They were worse than Crows. Eventually the springer got them. Haven’t seen anything like that before or since. Crow