An in-depth Cometa Model 300 review; When Springers literally EXPLODE... <PART THREE>

And here's the third part with the PROOF, because I don't want people to think I made it all up...

As I've already written in the previous part of this review, the gun exploded after 1 and 1/2 years of use and after some good 1500 pellets were fired through it. I haven't really delved into what exactly caused the cylinder to rupture and split itself into two separate pieces, but I do suspect and this is
also my best guess at what caused the explosion, that the material of the shell just broke and the gun was done for. In the previous part I wrote,
that the cylinder also could've been made in a way, in which it was "glued" together with some kind of dual-component glue for metals,
or even JB weld and then most likely, only poorly welded over, before the bluing process took part.

Now, please do understand that I'm no metallurgist and that I've learnt most of these things from friends
and people who commented on the incident and stated the possible causes for the rupturing of the cylinder.

Anyway, here is how this whole incident played out:
Me and a friend of mine were casually plinking one afternoon, I was the one pulling the trigger and my friend was spotting the wind for me, when all of a sudden a tremendously loud bang occured when I pulled the trigger on the 300...
At that point, my friend annoyingly looked at me and told me to put a pellet into the barrel next time I'm going to shoot. I replied to him, that I did that and then he became even more annoyed... I could've sworn, I told him, that I heard something hit the barn door to the right of me, when I pulled the trigger. Now, there wasn't a way in hell, that a JSB pellet could've ricocheted off of a 60 yards distant paper target, or otherwise off a beer can,
that the two of us stuck up on a pole, as a target. NO WAY IN HELL THAT'S POSSIBLE. So, I kind of immediately knew something was up!
I've risen from my chair and looked at the gun. My eyes instantly locked with the cracked receiver of my Cometa springer and I said: Ooo pizda!
Wilhelm look at this sranje! ...And my friend replied: ne me jebat! How, the hell's that possible?!

Both of us were in utmost disbelief and just couldn't grasp what just happened. At the time, when all of that went down,
I had my UTG 3-9x42mm scope mounted on the Cometa and luckily no harm had come to the scope and even more
importantly, no harm had come in the way of my friend Wilhelm. Fortunately he was a couple of steps ahead of me and
the shrapnel that kicked out of the cylinder in the sideways direction, when it ruptured, didn't hit him.
And I, myself was alright as well... So remember folks, wear eye protection at all times when you're shootin'.

...And here are the photos of the ruined gun:
View attachment DamagedReceiver.jpg

One interesting thing I was able to notice then, as I held the two pieces of the once whole receiver in my hands, is that the air-vent or port,
if you will, at the bottom of the compression chamber in the cylinder, was drilled sideways; As in from the bottom upwards,
into the line with the barrel. The reason airgun manufacturers do this, is because they don't want people to be able to convert break barrels
into .17/.22/8mm rimfire rifles. If you've got a hole sideways, then the converted piston (into bolt with a welded firing pin on it),
won't be able to push said firing pin through the hole in order to hit the primer of a cartridge, because the hole for
venting air is positioned sideways and is not straight, in line with the barrel - chamber in that case.

SplitReceiver.jpg

...And there you have it folks, the proof, that even break barrels can explode, just like real firearms. Now, if someone wants to send these images over to
the Cometa company, they are free to do so. I've already tried to sent images to them, but for some reason I couldn't get their mail to load properly and Google's mail seemingly also didn't deliver the mail, or perhaps they got the images, but were too chickenish to reply to me, because they somehow
knew they screwed up badly and that perhaps their products were defective.

That's all folks, have a nice remainder of the week;
Triglav out!

By the way, I will be making another review soon enough, on the Gamo Big Cat 1000-E.
Stay tuned.

One more thing about the Cometa springers' cylinders, that I forgot to add... My friend has a model 400 Fenix (basic configuration) and he too has a craquelure line in the same spot on the cylinder, where my 300' blew out! It's kind of a imprinted line that shows some discolouration, kind of like a sun-tanned belt.

He has since de-tuned his 400, so that the muzzle velocity of a JSB Exact .177 pellet - 8.44gr / ~0.55g, is approximately 250 m/s or 800 feet per second;
and therefore the energy at the muzzle is close to 16 Joules. The reason for that being out of fear, that the same thing would happen to him, if he would have the gun at full power of 24 Joules.

Just wanted to get that out. An additional thing also, he has nailed in the front end of the stock to the receiver, with two screw pins, do you guys think it could withhold the cylinders' shell from rupturing in case of an actual explosion of the gun, like it happened in my case?
I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

Till' next time.

That the two pieces of the cylinder were soldered together is also a possibility, along with a chance of contamination.
Anyway, at the time of the refurbishing of the gun (when the piston seal and the mainspring were changed), there was a very thin layer of silicone grease put on the sides and only on the sides, all-round' the piston seal, along with a little bit of grease on the mainspring's coils, just a thin layer, barely any in fact.
No silicone was put on the front face of the seal, or for that matter into the troughs, or otherwise into the channels in its face.

Time will eventually tell, if the same thing is going to happen on my friends' 400 Fenix.
I appreciate your comment, though.