An in-depth Cometa Model 300 review; Plus a couple of technical quirks about it... <PART TWO>

... Continuing with the PART TWO ...

I left of at the part about accuracy...

Here's the cup, that was hit from a 125 yards (I took 11 shots at it altogether,
but at first didn't even know whether I hit it or not):
yogurt.jpg

All in all, I had a great time with that gun and I honestly have great memories of it, but the bottom line is:
I DON'T HAVE IT ANYMORE, because itEXPLODED !!!

Yes, you read that right! IT EXPLODED, or well, at least the cylinder did... but more on that in another post. I'll make the post in shortly,
along with the images, otherwise you folks won't be able to believe me... And by the way, before you ask, it wasn't a squib,
nor was the gun diesling (see, if it were diesling, it wouldn't 've been delivering such great accuracy).

So yeah, I've had ups and downs with that gun, but I don't regret buying it, now that I think back at it... I don't regret it because of the unique problems I've had with it, from which I've learned a lot, and also because I've had a lot of fun with that gun, the mostly positive experience I've had with it will never be regretful to me. Unfortunately, the gun was already past its warranty period, and so, I couldn't 've called it in :(

Cometa only gives 1-year warranty on their guns, or at least they have at the time. Then, after the incident had happened,
I asked a friend of mine to find a buyer for the spare parts and he eventually did, and got us 50 euros back :)

So, with all of that in mind, I honestly have to say, that after experiencing a catastrophic failure of such a degree from an airgun (which was in and of itself a unique experience), one thing is for certain... I will NEVER, EVER BUY a Cometa airgun again!

That is not because they might have accuracy problems (those can be fixed, with just a little bit of tinkering), but because of the way their cylinders are built. They are apparently JB "welded" together, both the front end and the rear (the long end) are seemingly,
literally glued together with a duo-component glue.

However, if I'm ever going to be gifted one, someday, I'm going to put it through some extensive testing and I'll try to find out, whether there's anything actually wrong with how the company designed the piston, or the piston seal, and whether the piston's design actually could've caused the spike in pressure that exploded the cylinder from within. I've seen piston seals, that are very difficult to "tame" and prevent diesling on, but I've never seen a springer explode like that... I can still hear the blast in my head from that day. At first, I thought to myself, that I have perhaps forgot to chamber a pellet into the barrel, which that friend of mine who found a buyer for the spares, plainly laid out to me. He stood a couple of steps ahead of me, when we were shooting, but I wonder, what would've happened if he stood to my right, spotting for me as he did...
He could've gotten hit with shrapnel flying out of the cylinder, when the gun went KABOOM.
After all, I heard something hit the wall to my right, just as an echo, right after,
or rather mid the very loud BANG, which was of course, the cylinder going in half.

Now, as I've already stated, I will further describe this incident in another post, these two are already too long as they are.
I wish you all a peaceful start of the week and you all have a great one!

- Triglav