• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

An honest question for manufacturers and the masses!

Will,many air guns do not come with sound dampers because they are made a looooog time ago,plus most are still in production and there are plenty of sound dampers from air gun suppliers made for those air guns.
I have many,None are from the Donny guy. Why I need sound dampers is because I shoot in my backyard and want to be able to not be noticed.
@bboscoebrea: That's why we do what we do because it's always better that way when it comes to our neighbors.

Reactions: boscoebrea
Everyone loves to "accessorize" anything that they buy to give it some individuality whether it needs it or not. Look at Harley owners, or drive down the streets of San Diego at night.

View attachment 310501
love the knife and the key ring but the bird hood ornament interferes with the light

Everyone loves to "accessorize" anything that they buy to give it some individuality whether it needs it or not. Look at Harley owners, or drive down the streets of San Diego at night.

View attachment 310501
@jps2486 This is one set up that I've not seen in years, the only thing that's missing on this setup are wheels to get from point A to point B.

In Denmark, which is part of the EU, we have to register a silencer with the police - It is considered a weapons part (y) :)
It seems to be a completely country specific lawn in EU. Here in Finland (also EU) you can get a silencer for an air gun without any permits or register. Dealers usually state that the silencer is "only for air gun use" but the law does not require it.

I keep reading about people rushing out and buying these things now. I just hope you realize it is possible that terrible gov agency could rule they are NFA items and suddenly you are breaking the law by owning them. It probably won’t come to that but man you never know. If it did happen you would need to destroy them or go through the process and pay 200 tax stamp for every single one you own. Scary thing this scenario isn’t really far fetched at all.

Airgun moderators are and have been legal as far as the vast majority of the industry is concerned. The case law is definitive regarding the legality of detachable airgun silencers. Airgun moderators are imported from foreign manufacturers and the customs forms literally say "airgun silencers". Try to import narcotics with "cocaine" on the customs form. I don't know what you're referring to with "at the rate things are going with DonnyFL and the law". There has been NO official determination regarding Donny FL as far as I know. It was a single incident that lead to this fiasco.

The Air Arms S410E is a great gun, but it is pretty low power compared to a lot of other offerings. Even then, where I shoot I WANT a quieter gun. An LDC is the best and cheapest way to do this. For high power slug guns, or really anything that shoots over 30 FPE a can is pretty much needed in addition to a shroud. Just because YOU have never had a need for "add-ons" doesn't mean that other don't WANT them. This is a pretty common theme whenever we are talking guns and regulation. "I don't NEED 30 round magazines, why do you?".

It costs manufacturers to design, develop, test, and manufacture shrouds. That means they'll likely charge more for these guns. Frankly, a lot of times the factory shrouds kinda suck since they need to operate within the strict parameters needed to make the rifle come in at a certain price point. It makes SENSE to let a 3rd party - whose FOCUS is sound moderation - to develop aftermarket alternatives that consumers can choose to buy or not to buy depending on their needs.
Is this part of the reason why Donny FL has no moderators on his website for sale atm? Legal reasons? I reached out and they said they are working on it, but can't say more than that.

I've noticed that there's been a huge response to the situation concerning "DonnyFL", LDCs, pickles etc., etc. and etc. There's always, though it seems, been a gross misinterpretation concerning "DonnyFL, LDCs, pickles etc., etc. and etc. and the law. I presently own and have owned Air Arms 410Es in .177 and .22 calibers with a shrouded barrels and there's never been a need for "add-ons" to quiet them down? The question, "why aren't manufacturers" designing pcps where there would be no need for "add-ons" to the 1/2 inch threaded end of the muzzle. With todays technology, I'm sure they have thought about it but at the rate things are going with "DonnyFL, LDCs, pickles etc., etc. and etc. and the law", what does the future hold for those of us that have more than grown to appreciate our sport and hobby? Something to think about and I'm just curious!
Sometimes it's fun to make noise. Ever remove your car muffler when a youngster and blast around town?

One of the reasons I own 3 P35s is the way their shroud is designed. It has aluminum end caps and the rear one can slide along the barrel so it can be extended to create more space for sound suppression. I have 120mm long 3D printed moderators in all 3 and they are 80-85db this way (at 19-32 fpe). Some apparently prefer the look of an add-on moderator and I have a Tanto so I am not against them. But the much less expensive printed ones are subject to damage if they thread onto the end of the shroud or barrel. Inside the metal shroud they are protected and work great.

By contrast, my Avenger shroud has plastic end caps and does not slide along the barrel. Much worse design in this area in my opinion.

To me the way to do it is like the P15/35/Stoeger Bullshark. If you do not want/need sound suppression, just slide the shroud back and have a shorter, louder gun. If you want or need sound suppression, slide it to accomidate an appropriate moderator. This approach also seems to me to make it more clear that the moderator is for an airgun than the ones that thread onto the end of the barrel. A metal end cap adds a little cost, I guess, but it can't be a whole lot.