An experiment to get .22 cal NSA's to pop open easier. It works !!

This morning I went out to the garage to further this experiment. I started out by trying to mod the Phillips head by flattening the tip and sharpening the sides with a file. I was hoping for a cleaner result like Motorheads example. After deforming a few pellets, and not being satisfied, I decided to go along the lines of a silicone fill. Being impatient, I just filled the HP with wax and gave it a try. Holy smoke! The results speak for themselves.

Wax filled HP.jpg

Reactions: whyzee
I just filled the HP with wax and gave it a try. Holy smoke! The results speak for themselves.

View attachment 323444

Mark,

Thanks for your test results! 👍🏼

To help us make sense of them — what did you shoot the projectile into?
And, what was the impact velocity (or the range and muzzle velocity!)?

Thanks. 😊

Matthias

Yes, I shot into duct seal, 10 yards away at approximately 830 fps from the muzzle. Just took a few more shots with the 24.8g nsa slugs with OUT wax and they expanded from 0.27 to 0.29.
The wax filled hollow points made a big difference in expansion and subsequently penetration. I was really surprised. They don’t flower open like Motorheads example but it only took 10 minutes to make up a batch of 50 and I didn’t deform the slugs in the process.
I was also surprised the weight gain wasn’t enough for my digital scale to measure.